“Nothing to ask for - 100% service”

Karkloof Safari Spa
Reviewed 18 May 2010

My wife and I got married on the 7th of May. The first night we spent on a 3 star hotel, which was alright. The second day we checked in at the Karkloof Spa, which was going to be the most luxerious, relaxed and adventurous place ever for both of us. Me coming from Scandinavia, I did not know what to expect but I sure did get a positive surprise as the ranger took us to our lodge. We went in gazing like little kids being let in a toy shop after closing. I think both of us thoght we were in paradise the next 24 hrs - and we sure was. The food was amazing, dining at the restaurant and was super romantic, and high class. After the 4-course meal we went back to the lodge hand in hand only to find out the staff had turned our lodge into a romantic honeymoon lodge with candle lights and hot water in the tub, wow. During day time we went mountainbiking with the excellent guides who told us interesting facts about nature and animals in the area. When getting a lift with the ranger we always stopped to look at animals and had a great chance to capture the animals photographically. They also made a picnic for us on one of the tours, which was a pleasant surprise - thanks staff.

The spa department is a paradise on its own. The area is relaxed and peaceful and only adds to the enjoyment of the stay. We stayed a while in the big pool, then we went to sit in the steam room, then we went in an outside pool.

Karkloof Spa made us experience what a real sweet honey moon is supposed to be like.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aelkjaer

Reviewed 10 May 2010

I am not wealthy by any stretch of the imaginination but have still been lucky enough to stay and visit some amazing places. that said, this place is remarkable. being a private reserve the animals can't go anywhere else but that doesn't mean you're guaranteed to find them all, but find them all we did.
the reserve is vast! and it's set up is testament to the owner.
the villas (we stayed in 14) are amazing with far reaching views of the reserve.
everything is included and you want for nothing, in fact you are treated like royalty!!
the food is superb and even breakfast is a 4 course event!
I will definately come back (once I've saved up).
5 star place with 7 star treatment.

Reviewed 1 May 2010

This is the perfect spot to either start or end your holiday - the relaxing, understated elegance of the lodge with the most friendly and accommodating staff was the start of a fabulous two week holiday. I was amazed at the vast amount of wildlife we were able to observe and this is something I totally underestimated ! Having visited numerous top Big 5 game reserves within South Africa, I was blown away by the amount of game on the property. We were also lucky enough to see a three week old baby white rhino and endless amounts of buffalo - wow !
Dont miss the walk to the Karkloof Falls - an easy walk with spectacular views of the Falls.
The Spa is worth a visit on its own - I love the way that you can spend the day in this relaxing environment that is so at one with nature - a soul enriching experience. The treatments are superb , the staff totally professional and most welcoming was the fact that there was no need to get changed to go for lunch - the spa cafe is right there to welcome you, looking just the way you are !
My suite was beautifully appointed and spacious - very private with gorgeous views.
The main restaurant offered superb cuisine - a true gastronomic experience - be warned that you are guaranteed to put on a few kilos after a visit here !
This is a destination that offers so many possibilities !
U.Werth

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 April 2010

A little piece of heaven. Amazing spa treatments, staff who can't do enough for you, awesome food and a timeless experience - thank you!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2010

I was fortunate to be a guest at the Karkloof Spa this week. Being in the hospitality and spa industry- and am happy to share with you the sanctuary that Fred Worner and his team have created for the guests. (which is often hard to find and difficult to create- but it is has happened!) The vision is truly for the guest to find peace and tranquility in the middle of a stunning game reserve, Thai spa, lodge and villa/cottages. Basically, you can do what ever want to do, when ever you want to do it... be it eat, drink, game drive, bike, walk to the falls or spend the day at the spa. There is no pressure to be somewhere at a certain prescribed time- the guest creates their own timing- and that is such an important part of the "sancuary" feel. You are never rushed from one program or experience to the next.
The guest journey starts the moment you drive over the first creek/waterfall at the reception area. The sound of nature and water sets the tone for peace... and a few animals such as rhino (a new baby was born about a month ago- adorable and special moment to experience as we drove in) frame this pastoral picture. Check in is simple, and you are made to feel at home with the resort is yours at your finger tips. The decor is lovely, complete with a wine room that you can select South African wines from, to the library, bar and living spaces that have been created for you relaxation and viewing of the mountains, water and animals... and some inner reflection.
I recommend that you spend a lot of time in the spa- very unique and special to have Thai therapists performing your treatments- one of a kind experience to bring the specialty of the Thai culture to the specialty of the African experience. After my 90 minute Thai massage, I looked out of the windows to find a herd of zebra grazing. In addition, there are water treatments everywhere in the spa- so take time to enjoy.
The meals, service, staff, living spaces, spa, and game drives at Karkloof Spa are five star... but my only recommendation is that you must stay at least a WEEK or more!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank SusanGwaltney
Reviewed 20 January 2010

What an amazing place this is. We were made to feel so at home, they have such an easy-going atmosphere that you cannot help to feel sooooo chilled-out and mellow.
It's a bit of a trek to get there (1 1/2 hours from Durban) but it's worth it. I could rave on with complimentary expletives all day, so to sum up, we would not hesitate to recommend it, and would go back like a shot - as long as the plans for a gym come to fruition.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2010

A huge area of stunningly beautiful land with all sorts of animals everywhere, ultra luxurious accommodation, impeccable personal service, amazing food, lovely pool, ... there's not much more you could ask for. The spa is very nice (you get two treatments per day included) although not my main reason for going. I went for the animal viewing, opportunity to walk (individual walks or bike rides with a ranger whenever you want and tailored to the length of time you want) and scenery. It's a lot greener and lusher than I expected.

If I could change anything I would have made the spa treatments optional and the price a bit cheaper, or allowed a facial or something to be substituted for a massage - personally I didn't want a massage every day. Karkloof is expensive but worth it, it's a cut above anywhere else I've been. I did think the taxi transfer from Durban airport was expensive though - 2200 Rand return for an hour and half journey each way.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pietermaritzburg
Fordoun Spa Hotel Restaurant
Granny Mouse Country House
Ascot Bush Lodge
Ascot Bush Lodge
#3 of 31 in Pietermaritzburg

Been to Karkloof Safari Spa? Share your experiences!