“Weekend Treat” 4 of 5 bubbles

Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton
Hilton, South Africa
“Weekend Treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I recently stayed over-night at the Hilton Protea Hotel, as a friend was getting married in the Hilton area. It was so convenient, and such a treat! The staff were incredibly helpful, and my room was perfectly 'spotless'! A pre-wedding drink at the bar was great - for anyone living in the area I'd certainly recommend the bar as a place to wind down after work on a Friday! Thank you to Heather and her staff for a great stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Katherine T

Thank you very much for such a wonderful review of our hotel.

We are very pleased to hear that you were able experience a ‘weekend treat’ with us..

Our new rooms are certainly something to look forward to when staying with us, I am sure the Housekeeping STAFF will be delighted to receive your feedback.

The bar, with its beautiful ambience, is definitely the place to be on a Friday, especially with winter now here, the roaring fires in the evening are something that many of our GUESTS look forward to visiting time after time. Thank you for pointing this out.
Thank you once again for letting us know of your fantastic stay,we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
King regards
Heather & the TEAM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Had a lovely over night stay at the Protea Hilton. The old bar is till the same as ever full of atmosphere and warm with a roaring fire ! The hotel decor is great. I would avoid eating dinner there unless its late - Nicholsons down the road is a lovely dinner spot - must book though.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear BCLL294265

Thank you for taking the time and informing us of your experience at Protea Hotel Hilton. We are very happy that you enjoyed the atmosphere; the fires always make it better.

We are concerned that you did not have a good experience with your dinner, we would love to find out why this is and what we could possibly do to improve it.

Should you wish to visit us again, please contact me directly and I would be glad to assist in making your next stay more memorable. Please email me at gm@proteahilton.co.za for further queries.

Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We booked into this hotel because my Dad has retired in Howick - not far from the hotel.
Our check in was good and goodie bags were given to my kids which thrilled them.
Our hotel room was booked for 2 adults and 2 children.
Our room however only had 2 towel and 2 tea cups and 2 sachets of milk.
I did phone reception and they kindly brought us more supplies.
At night chocolates were put on our pillows. They however only put 2 chocolates on the pillows. There were 4 of us in the room. I am sure I will not die if I don't get a R 1.20 chocolate but surely they could splurge and put a chocolate on all our pillows.

We parked at the back of the hotel as this was the only parking available.
There was no porter to be found and certainly no trolley to use to carry all our luggage UP to our room.

On the third day our kids had fallen asleep in the car. We carried them UP the stairs to our room - only to discover our room key card would not work. I had to dump my kids in the passage and run all the way to reception to have our key card re-coded.

We felt the price for breakfast was horrific.
It is R 165.00 per person.
R 165 x 4 people = R 660.00
I don't think in a month my kids can eat breakfast to the value of R 165
A Wimpy Sunrise breakfast is only R 28
A Spur Unreal breakfast is only R 24.95

So what the heck are you pay R 165 for???

We would love to support the hotel and have breakfast at the hotel but this is not realistic.
We found overselves leaving the hotel and driving into town to have a reasonably priced breakfast.

This hotel is mean to be a FAMILY orientated hotel.
They are certainly not catering for kids with a breakfast priced like this.

We will be returning to the hotel but we hope on our next visit they note that four of us will be in the room!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear PrincessJenny56

Thank you so very kindly for taking the time to chat to me, what a wonderful conversation. I have taken all of your concerns into serious consideration.

Anthony has sent you the Prokard details and it will solve all your breakfast problems, and as such a frequent traveller you can earn a holiday.

I look forward to seeing you and meeting the family on your next visit.

Kimberley, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Good hotel with decent rooms and free wifi. Too bad the same cannot be said for one of its managers. I had a problem with a room service order and was not having success in getting restaurant manager to resolve the matter. Ask to speak to the manager who is "in charge". Was told it was a certain Anton. Reception staff in presence of restaurant manager phoned him and spoke to him in my presence. After speaking to the hotel staff, he refused to speak to me, even though I was with the staff and I could hear his conversation with the staff.
Such pathetic attitude fails the hotel

Room Tip: I hassle to drive to at night from Pietermaritzburg airport.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Tsalas

Thank you for your valued feedback.

It is disappointing to hear of your experience and I can confirm that, as per our telephonic conversation, I have addressed all of your concerns raised and corrective action has been taken.

Once again thank you for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back again.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Excellent rooms in the new wing and a very good place to stop over on the way to Durban or the Berg form Johannesburg, if you get away late and do not want to travel in the dark.
Good buffet in the evening and excellent buffet in the morning for breakfast. We felt that for the price the breakfast - which is not cheap at R65.00 per person, could have been included in the room rate

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room in the new wing. Larger rooms and also more modern bathrooms with a separa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

It was the middle of winter and very cold the hotel has an old feel to it with wood burning fires and a feeling of warmth.

Definitely enjoyed our stay here and will return every winter if I can.

The hotel is in close proximity to sights in the midlands and can even arrange a tour company to take you around places in the area

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Ashley S

Thank you for the lovely review.

We love the wood fires in winter. So many GUESTS love the fire in reception and the restaurant as many people only expect it in the bar, it has a wonderful feeling of home.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful hotel.

Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Good Evening,

Just a short note to express our wonderful experience at the Protea Hilton. We took a drive to the Midlands and wasn’t planning on staying over. Well We Google to see if there was a Protea Hotel in the area and the one in Hilton came up.

From Reception to Housekeeping the service was impeccable . I must say the ambiance and the History of the Hotel is fantastic. As for the restaurant service, this by far was one of our best experience. The waiter was an absolute star who made us feel at home.

This will definitely not be my last time at the Protea Hilton. Looking forward for a weekend away.

In comparison to history the Protea Hilton out ranks the Balalaika Hotel a million times over.

Well done to the management and Staff of the Protea Hilton.

From a Happy Guest

Deon Govender

Room Tip: Room facing the Pool area -Excellent choice - feels you in England
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Deongov
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Deongov

There is nothing more motivating for STAFF to reach for higher goals than genuine compliments.

Thank you very much for the wonderful letter. I have put it onto the notice boards in all the departments, if only you could see the smiles you have brought to so many faces. Thank you!

Please be sure to contact me when you next book so I can meet you personally.

Protea Hotel Hilton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pietermaritzburg
Road Lodge Pietermaritzburg
#1 of 2 in Nottingham Road
Karkloof Safari Spa
Karkloof Safari Spa
#2 of 25 in Pietermaritzburg

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton? Share your experiences!