“Why...?” 1 of 5 bubbles

Imperial Hotel
Johannesburg
“Why...?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Checked in tired after a long day travelling. Lift Out of Order!!!
Dinner with a long Buffet que...only choice.
In the bar .TV on full volume ...but nobody there? Got my nightcap.
Went to sleep....impossible with a noisy built into wall airconditioner. Tried to log on to WiFi-only possible unless you sit in the reception.
I Did not function well during next day. Eisch!

Noticed extremley helpful and kind personell....but this does not help if fundamentals are out of line! You will not see me there again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Karl_Berg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Great old world style hotel ideal for the business traveler. Nice rooms with great shower and balcony. Easy to find from the Oribi airport - about 10 min drive. The food is above average for this class of hotel. The bar could do with some upgrade to create a bit more atmosphere, but the staff make up for what it is lacking is looks.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PeterJK_11
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights. Good ribeye steak. Great buffet breakfast. Good rooms. My first room 128 aircon were not working and they moved me to 122. Great service.

Not any smoking area. Have to stand in parking to smoke. No bench.

7/10

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Koen K
Pretoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

We were staying in Pietermartizburg for the SA XCO/DHI Cup. We had difficulty to find a good place to stay over. I booked at two places and was not prepared to stay at at any one of them. We ended up at the Protea Hotel.
The hotel is right on a main street and it could get a bit noisy on that side. The room (118) was spacious enough, white linen and well decorated. The lighting was a bit of a problem. The bathroom is big with a big shower. There are sufficient plugs in the room which comes in handy when you have laptops, phones and tables to charge.
The buffet for dinner is a bit standard and not very imaginative. The waiters are however efficient and the assistance good. They were prepared to store of bicycles down stairs which made life much easier.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms on the main street side if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HendrikDuToit
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear "HendrikDuToit",

Although, it seems like you were not planning to stay at our hotel initially, we would like to thank you for your kind and honest review. Glad to hear we have been able to pleasantly surprise you and created a comfortable stay.

Do make sure you pay us another visit soon when back in Pietermaritzburg.

Vanessa Hoover - General manager
Durbanville, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

Before we entered the hotel, I was a bit concerned since it was a very old building, but was I surprised when we entered our room. The room were spacious and well decorated.
We stayed there the night after our Comrades run. When we arrived, the staff were very helpful and friendly. They even left each runner an energade drink and Jungle bar next to our beds ... so fitting and thoughtful!
One of the pipes leaked, but the staff acted promptly when we reported it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine B
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear "Leela_cb",

Greetings from the TEAM at the Protea Hotel imperial!

Thank you for your kind words and recommendations. Its truly much appreciated. I can imagine that you were looking forward to a comfortable and relaxing stay after such a great but intense event such as the Comrades. So, we are very pleased to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Do make sure you pay us another visit soon upon your return to beautiful Pietermaritzburg.

Vanessa Hoover - General Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

After a terrible stay in the Transkei, my boyfriend and I stumbled upon the Protea Hotel Imperial while searching for a place to stay for the evening as we returned back home to Joburg.. As soon as we arrived we knew we had done well finding this hotel. The staff were super friendly and helpful, our room was huge & clean (something we had been missing after a really bad experience in the transkei) and the bed was incredibly comfy. We also had some of the breakfast buffet before we left and that was really good. We wish we had the time to stay longer, because our experience at the Protea Hotel was fantastic.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear "gdemeillon",

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your positive experiences with your fellow TripAdvisor users. Its much appreciated.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon when returning to our beautiful province...

Vanessa Hoover - General Manager
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We had booked to take clients there for a function , on the 1 December. My clients went twice to,organize the function and were told not to,worry that everything was organized, well,it all depends on what you call organized. When we got there, there were no tables prepared at all, eventually after forty five minutes we managed to get the hotel,to lay some tables for,us, well only certain people,had cutlery and others not.We then did not have waiters , so we had to go the bar ourselves and get drinks for our clients ourselves, as there were no waiters at all.
And then of course there were no barman as well as there was no corkscrew to open the wine.

I tried to suggest to my clients that we leave , but they were reluctant due to the storm.

I then found some sort of manager , and he informed me that he was only informed of the function at 2:00pm today and it was not his problem. I then insisted that he stand and ensure we get service but he was not interested, I also asked him to call the general manager but he was not prepared to.

My clients then ate some food from the buffet , I was the waiter, I eventually got,the bill, but of course their credit card machine was not working, I then told them to sort it out and call me should they want to get paid.

Repeat do not go there, this is the worst restaurant if you can call it that in the Southern hemisphere.

Very sad when one compares to the Protea Melrose Arch, I'f I was the M.D of the Protea group I would fire all the management their and close that hotel down , train staff and try again.

A very embarrassing Xmas function for clients, well done Protea hotel for a disgusting night, and thank you.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Alan312578
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear "Alan312578",

As already mentioned during our telephonic conversations in the recent days, let me once more express my and my team’s most sincere regret regarding any inconvenience experienced while visiting our hotel for your recent function. Clearly, your experience was not of the expected standard and is not acceptable.

During our conversation, we came to the conclusion that the root cause of the situation created stemmed from the fact that your function booking had never officially been confirmed, hence was perceived as an enquiry only. I have discussed this situation with my team in detail and reiterated the importance of double checking and following up with all enquiries to ensure these embarrassing misunderstandings are avoided at all times.

The TEAM at the hotel was simply caught off guard and were not properly prepared to successfully host your function, so there are certainly lessons to be learnt which I have addressed with all TEAM members involved.

I thank you for your kind understanding and patience show over the phone in recent days and for allowing me to hopefully restore your confidence in our levels of hospitality offered at the hotel.

Your interest and concern are much appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Rodney Bull - General Manager
Protea Hotel Imperial

Travellers are raving about these Pietermaritzburg hotels