“A VISIT TO THE MUSEUM” 5 of 5 bubbles

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“A VISIT TO THE MUSEUM”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

My husband and I were looking after two of our grandchildren (age 5 and 9 years old) when they asked us to take them to the Museum. They had been there before with their parents but wanted to go again. So we all got into our car and off we went. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed going around following our grandchildren as they excitedly went from one exhibit to the other. The huge Rhino and other big animals intrigued them. We saw some wonderful animals, including snakes, birds etc. We could hear the different bird calls on our way around and lion roars! Everything was so lifelike, it was amazing. There was a fee to pay for the grandchildren (not much) but my husband and I got in for free as we are pensioners. We walked all over the building upstairs and downstairs. It is a beautiful building and so clean and well looked after. I am sure we will all pay another visit there in the not too distant future. There is a small counter at the reception with items to buy, which our grandchildren pointed out to us that they wanted. So we got them each the item they liked.

Visited March 2013

Johannesburg, South Africa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Small eclectic museum - save it for a rainy day”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

The Kwazulu-Natal Museum as it is now called, is in a historic building in Jabu Ndlovu Street (formerly Loop Street) opposite the Protea Imperial Hotel. It has an eclectic range of exhibits - some modern, some very dated. Lots of natural history (stuffed animals and birds form the Victorian Era in glass cases) and some cultural history (gallery on the history of Indian people in Natal, Natal settlers, and the early people of South East Africa, rock art, musical instruments etc).

It seems that its principle function is education - and is not really a tourist attraction. If you are staying at the Protea Imperial Hotel and have an hour to kill or have kids to entertain on a rainy day then you should try it.

Visited June 2011