“Friendly and comfortable”
Review of Cutty Sark Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Scottburgh
Cutty Sark Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Scottburgh
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
“Friendly and comfortable”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

It is an example of decaying grandeur and has obviously seen better days. However, it is clean with comfortable rooms and lounges and the food is excellent. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The location is perfect, right on the main swimming beach. We go with our four children and they love it. At the price it provides very good value for a family break.

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea. Some are family suites sleeping up to 6.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Alan G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We have stayed at the Cutty Shark on numerous occasions and will always go back!
The hotel might be old but it's clean, rooms are big and comfortable!
We are always welcomed by all the friendly staff!
Staff is very friendly, helpful and very accommodating to requests!
It is very seldom that you find such friendly hotel staff!
Good home cooking ! Nice buffet variety! Value for money!
The best hotel in Scottburgh!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Rina Cross
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My son and I stayed at the Cutty Shark for 5 nights in August and had a very relaxing break. Our room was very large with room for a table and chairs and a full size fridge. The bathroom was also large with a separate double shower cubicle. We were on the ground floor and had wonderful views of the sea and gardens. The room was clean and had plenty of wardrobe space and a nice dressing table. All the hotel staff were pleasant, friendly and helpful, I could not fault any of them. The two ladies on reception were particularly helpful, arranging taxi's, finding phone numbers and allowing us to make bookings for various excursions. The food was lovely, real home cooking which my 24 year old son enjoyed. Although it was winter the weather was still warm, I did sit by the pool to read, the gardens around were really nice and I could imagine it in the summer being even better. The position of the hotel is superb, right on the beach, I had some great runs in the morning and felt completely safe. It was nice to walk across the little stream of water to reach Scotburgh town which was just as well as we didn't have a car! There is a train that runs very close to the hotel but we never found that it bothered us, it added to the atmosphere Overall we found the whole stay peaceful, relaxing with great company from the other guests that happened to be male and female bowling teams that had a week of competitions. Everyone was very friendly and made us feel very welcome. It was a great base for my son and I as he was keen to fish and shark dive. We had a late flight home and the hotel were kind enough to allow us to keep a different room until we left, this room was also very nice but not quite as big. I found it great value for money and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank roosker
Peter R, Owner at Cutty Sark Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
So Glad you enjoyed your stay,,it was great having you with us...Hope to see you again soon.
Best wishes from all at Cutty Sark
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We were greated by friendly staff and were given assistance in getting to our room. The rooms are neat and clean and the view onto the beach is absolutely incredible. The buffets put out for dinner and breakfast will rival and five star hotel. A really great family holiday.

• Stayed July 2013
Peter R, Owner at Cutty Sark Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
So glad you enjoyed your stay..hope to see you again soon..Best wishes from all at Cutty Sark
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We spend 4 nights (mid-week) first week in July 2013 as a family of 4. We were pleasantly surpised - the family room was of a decent size (bathroom very small) and all amenities in working order. The food was really good home styled cooking that catered for all and the selection varied and interesting. All our needs were met and when we asked for extra towels, they were there within 5 minutes. An enjoyable stay, child friendly and value for money - pity the weather did not play it's part. We realise that the Hotel is old but you can visibly see certain areas have been upgraded and their lounge area and outside patio with wi-fi were very comfortable - we would certainly go back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Peter R, Manager at Cutty Sark Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Glad you enjoyed your stay..hope to see you again soon..this time with better weather
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Recently stayed there for week end with a travel club. the staff were friendly and very helpful except the front reception people. I felt as though I was doing them a favour by booking into the hotel.
The food was pleasant. Rooms nice and big but in serious need of updating as does the whole hotel. I know this is a landmark in the area but that does not mean they don't need to modernize it it with Aircons and duvets on the beds,
Grounds well maintained and lots of place for children to play.
Would I go back and stay there.......no. When it has a face lift and cost come in line with value I may consider it. I am a travel agent and need to give my clients the best value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Wendy K
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 6 March 2013

This is a long story... full of complaints...

My husband and I got married November 2012.
We kicked off our honeymoon in the Drakensburg for 3 nights, and it was AMAZING!
We then left to spend the remaining 10 nights on the South Coast.
He picked the hotel Cutty Sark.... Hotel? Really?

The reception area was dodgy (cold and dark)
The staff at the reception were not at all friendly (both the reception ladies and the cleaning staff standing around)

When the booking was made, my husband requested a room that at least had a sea view. On arrival, we told them again that we were there for our honeymoon. One of reception lady's checked the room number and said that "this is a very nice room"

We walked down a couple of stairs to the end of the hotel (and I mean the very end), even though the hotel was empty.
When the door was opened the first thing we saw was the bathroom, which looked like it had just been renovated, it was stunning, then a stench out of hell hit your nose.
As if this bedroom door hadn't been opened it months!
I tried desperately not to look disappointed, after all we were at the coast, I suppose this smell is normal.

We then opened the curtains only to find that our view was just BUSH! We opened the door leading to the beach side of the room, more bush. Only about 3 rooms down did you start seeing the ocean.
I couldn't hold it anymore I just burst out crying.
I sat on the bed that felt like it has no more mattress left, like I was going to fall right through and hit the ground.
I looked around at the excuse of a honeymoon room, that has a TV stand that was ready to fall out of the wall, the TV with reception so terrible it looked like it was snowing, and an excuse of a table with tea/coffee making equipment.
This wasn't acceptable, not for what we were paying.
Husband went to go complain, and they moved us to another room, no problem.

Up the stairs we went, past the reception, up some more stairs, to another room on the other end of the hotel. SERIOUSLY! There was no one there!

Again when we walked in I thought this room would be great. 180 degree view, sea, garden, lagoon. What could be better right?
Until I walked into the bathroom.
What a sad sight. It had a bath come shower, with a disgusting shower curtain and shower head, there were stains on the bath, stains on the basin, a tiny little mirror cupboard that looks as rotten as anything
Again I sat on the bed, SAME THING as before! Completely collapsed in the middle.
all of a sudden I hear this sound. A train! Coming right past the bedroom!!!! Something you don't see on their wonderful website, that paints a fairytale picture compared to what this place really looks like.
As if that wasn’t bad enough, there was exactly one cupboard to put your clothing in. A single side with about 4 shelves and a hanging side which could probably fit about 3 days of clothing. We were going to be there for 10!

Furniture in both rooms were not only old, but also breaking and rotting.
The carpets looked and smelt like they hadn’t been washed EVER.
This place hasn’t been renovated in years, which is so sad because it has beautiful potential.

This place is HELL!!
This is not a hotel! It doesn’t deserve the “branding” hotel. It is disgusting, and an utter rip off.

We managed to get our money back without a fight, which is strange, makes you think that this isn’t the first time that this has happened, and we managed to find another place to stay, thank heavens! Our honeymoon was saved.

We were told a couple of days later, by our deep sea fishing captain, that the hotel isn’t half of what it used to be. That’s it’s been totally neglected.
That the hotel is advertised a great deal over seas, how true that is I don’t know, but if it is true, I feel very ashamed and angry to think that foreign visitors get ripped off, and are fooled into thinking that this is the best there is.

Room Tip: I don't think one exists
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Joanne E
Peter R, Manager at Cutty Sark Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Obviously expectation level was much higher before checking. Overall did not stay and did not pay.

Travellers are raving about these Scottburgh hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottburgh
Blue Marlin Hotel
#1 of 3 in Scottburgh
Gee Wizz B & B
Gee Wizz B & B
#5 of 5 in Scottburgh

Been to Cutty Sark Hotel? Share your experiences!