Royal Palm Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Protea Hotel Durban Umhlanga(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$145
  • Pool
US$121
US$103
  • Breakfast included
AHA Gateway Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$108
Agoda.com
The Oyster Box(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$343
US$103
City Lodge Hotel Umhlanga Ridge(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$138
US$119
Agoda.com
Beverly Hills(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$395
Teremok Marine(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$162
Breakers Resort(Umhlanga Rocks)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsdish restaurantgateway malljunior suitehotel roomlounge areastaying at this hotelrooms are spaciousbreakfast staffbusiness tripupon checkexcellent locationconvenient locationumhlanga beacheasy accesspleasant stayenjoyed my staybeach front
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I stayed here for 5 days on business, it's a newish and pleasant hotel, the rooms are large, clean and comfortable and there's a stunning view of the Gateway shopping centre (I'm joking of course). Service was unpredictable, but quite enthusiastic, there's a friendly bar and pleasant breakfast environment. But I couldn't help feeling that if I was staying in a seaside city, I would like to see the sea. I took a trip out to the Oyster Bar hotel for lunch (actually the view over the beach was brilliant, but the food disappointing ) and that was more of what I'd expected as far as location was concerned. But at least being so close to the Gateway meant that I had easy walking access to the restaurants there. I would particularly recommend Plaka (excellent Greek food especially the starters) and Beluga (fab sushi). And it's true that a great percentage of the shops there had some kind of sports theme. Oh, by the way, the hotel has an agreement with a very large Virgin Active (in the centre, big gym and pool) which is free.
So swings and roundabouts for this hotel really (to use that cliche) depends what you're after, but I think I'd go for a hotel with a sea view.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
5sallyb, Manager at Royal Palm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2015

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and for your feedback. Of course it is everyones preffereable choice when travelling. Size does count with our hotel rooms, hence we can boast we have the largest rooms in the Umhlanga node.

Travel Safe and we hope to see you on your next travels.
Warm Regards
Sally Bricknell
Business Development Manager

Reviewed 31 May 2013

I was in Durban for the Indaba Fair; stayed at Royal Palm and did not regret choosing this property. Being a Hotelier myself....Hats Off for the housekeeping team. Good breakfast in the morning and well located property... just opposite the Gateway Mall.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

I stayed at the Royal Palm in May during the Tourism Indaba and all that I can say is "Excellent job Shamini and team". As always it was a great experience from arrival to the rooms and standards, breakfast and the dinner in Dish. There is no one area to fault. You and your team truly run an exceptional Hotel.

Hope to stay there again soon.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

As my heading says great apartment , great location, just the service was not up to three cities standards. Restaurant was terrible so my advice ESP. For breakfast is don't rather go to Tasha's or even the wimpy is better, don't waste you money. Someone smoked in my room while we were there which was irritating as a non-smoker with a baby management didn't seem to do much, otherwise not bad great place if you don't need service.

Room Tip: 2bed apartment is great.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

When I first came to SA, I stayed here for 2 months. I use this hotel now once a quarter for functions and my colleagues stay here every 3 months too. The rooms are more like mini-suites, with a bedroom separated by sliding blackout doors, and a deep bathtub as well as shower.
It's a quiet hotel, but plenty of bars as restaurants across the road if you want something more lively, at Gateway, the biggest shopping mall in KZN.
5 mins away from "The Village" for a taste of Umhlanga beach life, and 15 mins from the airport, this is a great place to stay!!

• Stayed: April 2012