“Good hotel for an odd location”

Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
London
“Good hotel for an odd location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I understand that Umhlanga is where things are happening in the Durban area. However, be aware that this hotel is not in Umlhanga Rocks itself (there is another Protea there) but 20 minutes walking uphill from there (or a short 7 mins taxi ride). This one is right across a huge shopping centre which will be a haven if you are planning to spend some money while in South Africa.

Reception is small, staff was helpful, breakfast was plenty and even the food and room service was above average. Rooms are very nice but the pool is minuscule.

You will get a metered free internet that will last enough for a day.

Airport is relatively close, that's why you will see many cabin crew staying there overnight.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
PHURDurban, General Manager at Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Valued GUEST

Thank you for taking the time to let us have feedback with regards to your recent stay. We are delighted to receive your commendations about our facilities, service and location.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further assistance you may require.

Kind regards

Tina Cattaneo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

This holiday was going to be amazing, we were both looking forward to spending time as a family and just relaxing!

3rd March 2012 - We had booked into the Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge for 2 days because I had bought the Cosmo magazine and they we running a Valentines special where you could pay for one night and get one free.

What an absolute disaster I cannot believe that a magazine like Cosmo will even associate with a Hotel like that.

We arrived excited to get our holiday going, and expected to wait a while because we were a half hour early for check-in, but we were on holiday so who cared!.

We started the check in process, when the clerk asked me for the voucher from the magazine that I was supposed to bring with to get the 2nd night free. Immediately I got that "Oh crap" feeling in my tummy because it's so unlike me to forget something like this, but honestly I don't remember ever even seeing a voucher in the magazine it was only a double spread advert. Anyway I explained to the clerk that I had no idea we had to bring a voucher and no voucher was mentioned in the confirmation email I received or on the website that the advert to us to book on, to which she proceeded to give me the look of "yeah right"!.

The whole experience made us feel like complete thieves! It was eventually decided that she would give us until the following week to post the voucher to her (so that I could go home and look for it) and then she would release the amount held on my credit card. Irritated, we sat on the deck waiting for our room to be released and tried to figure out how I had got this so wrong, I hadn't budgeted for a second night that's exactly why I chose this hotel because it gave us 1 night free. After an hour of waiting with our 3 month old baby and bags I walked up to reception and asked how much longer it would be until we could go to our rooms. A new clerk looked at us like we were crazy and told us that the room was ready a long time ago. Instant foul mood, this wasnt a good start!

We checked in and decided to put this behind us and just enjoy our time together. So we put our baby to sleep and thought we would order lunch from room service while he slept and then hit the pool. Another mistake! it took over an hour before we called again and asked where our delivery was and we were told "Oh I see its written down here but nobody place the order!". We asked that it be brought to the pool area because we wanted our swim. The food arrived eventually, and it was an oily roll with tasteless pieces of meat and tomato mix poured over it. Honestly it was inedible, the chips we ok though. R80 each what a waste!

That night the weather turned so we decided we would just have dinner in the hotel restaurant instead of going out. The buffet cost R150 per head and looked and smelled awful so we opted for al carte. My husband ordered a steak and i ordered a haloumi salad (sprinkled with nuts, sounded awesome even though the salad was R65). 45 mins later the meal was served, disappointment number 3! They had given me 2 fillets of haloumi fried in what smelled like fish batter with 2 pieces of lettuce in between the fillets of cheese and nuts around the edge of the plate. I told the waiter that this is not what the menu implied nor what I expected and asked to have something else. Before I could order the Chef came to the table and told me that he would just cut the haloumi up into pieces and add more greens for me. At this point I was so fed up at the absolute shocking service I agreed and ate 2 pieces of the cut up cheese once I had removed the batter, and lost my appetite.

The next day we made sure that we stayed away from the hotel restaurant and spent the day out.

When we checked out we were asked to fill in a "hot or not" card, which I did and can assure you that they didn't get the Hot rating!

The whole experience was super disappointing and I will never return to that Hotel. They still have not refunded my money even though I checked the advert and nowhere in the T&Cs does it mention a voucher. I certainly was not trying to be dodgy and resent being treated that way.

To all fellow travelers, the only thing this hotel has going for them is the building, pass on by this Hotel if you are ever in the area.

Room Tip: Family rooms are great
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Carrie312578
PHURDurban, General Manager at Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear Valued GUEST

Further to our recent conversation, we would once again like to thank you for taking the time to let us have your comments regarding your visit in March.

Your feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence.

As discussed, we have addressed each issue you mentioned and taken the necessary action to rectify the shortcomings.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the discomfort caused.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge and assure you that every effort will be made to ensure you enjoy our very best care and attention.

Yours sincerely,

Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge

Travellers are raving about these Umhlanga Rocks hotels

Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stayed at the hotel in late novmber to early December for a confernce. The hotel rooms are good. I stayed at the two level loft room which was very good.The hotel is close to Gateway mall at Umhlanga and near a number of nice restaurants. The restaurant at the hotel is nice and the food is okay.The gym at the hotel is basic and small and is at the 1st floor above some costume shops.All in all I enjoyed the location and stay.

Room Tip: Choose a loft room and select rooms on the side of Gateway mall.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Kuttappi
PHURDurban, General Manager at Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this review, 16 February 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance you may require in future.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

This is a solid 4 star with very good food and service, very clean rooms. It is about 10 miles from downtown Durban across from the large Gateway Mall. You can usually negotiate a fixed cab fare ($25 US) rather than paying the meter (about $33 US). Plenty of restaurants nearby in the Mall (e.g., Cape Town Seafood). Recommend getting a suite as the price is not that much higher. Small outdoor pool on the roof is nice but not heated - you usually can have it to yourself.

Room Tip: Get a suite - they are at the end of the hallway. Top floor suites have balconies (not sure about lo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Alberton, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

All arrangements went well. Marshall, at reception arranged booking. Discovered room was not yet available. Simply arranged something to drink while he got the problem resolved. Breakfast was great. Room comfortable. Internet connection worked 1st time round. Parking for our rental was easy.bathroom well equipped. Everything we needed. Their coffee is the best around. Walking distance to the Gateway shopping center. Easy access to the Barnyard theater.
Overall our stay was excellent. Good value for money.

Room Tip: South facing. 4th or higher
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ColemanTrevor145
PHURDurban, General Manager at Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this review, 22 November 2011

Kind regards

Johannesburg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

We had the misfortune of staying at the hotel for 2 nights, when we booked they sent us the wrong confirmation if they cannot get that right we should have known then to cancel. First night the aircon did not work in the room, so had a terrible night (dbn is extremely humid) felt like we were in a hotbox. Reported the problem in the morning and nothing happened, only after getting upset with the reception in the afternoon did they do something. Maintainance could not fix it so they upgraded us to a family room, shortly before going to a function we tried to shower but the room had no water. So much for an upgrade more like a stab in the back for complaining. No solution just more excuses at which point we were fed-up, demanded a refund and were given one night back.

For the price the hotel is a crap hole, go stay at the city lodge 2 blocks down much nicer, cheaper and 100 times more capable. With both problems we had to make all the suggestions to the staff and management. We have even raised this with Protea head office which are yet to come back to us, if you have a problem nobody can help or they will not acknowledge it, nobody takes responsiblity. The hotel manager - Ms. Tina Cattaneo will give you a hundred and one excuses but no sincerity and absolutely no reason to ever go back. My advice to Protea Hotels is send your staff & management for proper training because the current quality of personel is shocking. The reason for a hotel is so out-of-towners have a comfortable place to sleep and refresh, neither of which Protea hotel umhlanga ridge can provide.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bryan M
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

Great location on the Umhlanga Ridge, within a walking distance of Gateway – hundreds of shops, restaurants, and entertainment and a short drive from the beach. (The airport is a mere 10 minute drive!)

Room quality is great, large, clean and bright. Beds are very comfy and the best pillows I have ever slept on. Family rooms with a kitchenette, balcony and beds for 4 are great value.

Hotel ambience is fresh, clean and urban. Staff are extremely friendly and go the extra mile to assist.

Highly recommended and I will most certainly return

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business