“Nice Hotel Across the Road from a HUGE Mall”

Protea Hotel Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Nice hotel - room on the smallish side, but ok for one person.
With two travelling, and two suitcases etc, might be a problem. (I was just in a standard room).
Water pressure in the shower pretty awful - didn't make me feel clean and wasn't a strong stream.
Breakfast was good with decent options, and decent room service menu.
Air con in the room is "COOL ONLY" and the room was very stuffy. Didn't seem to clear the air at all, or cool the room down. I ended up opening the windows and it was ok, if a little noisy from the road traffic.
Front desk staff friendly, helpful and tried their best.
Across the road from a VERY large mall with countless shops which could take up half a day or more of your time.
The best thing - HOORAY! 100mb of free internet per day! About time a hotel had a fair and decent internet policy. It was the only Protea Hotel I stayed in during my time in Africa that had this. (Others were a paltry "free" 15MB per day for example).
Credit to the hotel management for providing this. Would make me come back.
Good, solid hotel and well run. Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Lachlan72
PHURDurban, General Manager at Protea Hotel Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2012

Dear Lachlan72

Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for recommending the Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge!

We have noted your comments regarding the air-conditioning and water pressure, discussed with our maintenance TEAM and taken the necessary corrective action. Please accept our apologies for the discomfort caused.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 8 June 2012

I did a walk in to reserve a room but rates of this hotel were cheaper online, I pointed this out to the staff and they matched the rate without too much fuss. Glad that common sense applied, it often doesn't when it comes to policy.

The reception was excellent, very friendly and positive attitude. The room itself was superb, clean, roomy and comfortable and an excellent shower!

My only disappointments was the pool was out of service and room service food quality wasn't all that fantastic (but it was fast).

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 June 2012

In any hotel, from the first impression to the check out, the management style comes through, in the case of Protea Umhlanga Ridge, this is clear, in a good way.

On check in the amazing Brendan was super helpful, friendly and went out of his way to make me feel welcome. He upgraded my room to an amazing loft unit , that I will certainly be staying in again. The all day breakfast is a plus. The room could have done with a little extra dusting though, even though the room was clean. My unit had two bathrooms, (in the main bathroom the soap holder is coming away from the mall (ATTENTION : HOUSEKEEPING!) one bedroom, a lounge area and was on the 7th floor so the rooftop pool was within easy reach and never full (mainly due to the cold weather I guess) . Across a green, palm tree lined avenue to one of the provinces largest shopping malls, Gateway, the hotel is as convenient as you can get for the business traveller wanting to stay out of town. No view of the sea (there is a sliver of a view from the corner of the pool deck but other wise guests look out onto the mall and water adventure area as well as a park area which seems to be used for weekend markets on a Sunday). The breakfast service was standard with an egg station - strange that this is not the case across all Protea Hotels and makes the difference between Protea owned and franchisee owned facilities clear. Having just checked out and learning that my flight is only at 17:00 hrs, the amazing Brendan and Mvelo asked if I would like to delay my check out till later. A very generous offer which I declined as I had meetings in the coffee shop for the rest of the day. All in all, a great service which is sad for facilities not holding up to the Protea Standard as it makes their shortcomings all the more obvious! The security/concierge could be more consistent as sometimes the security guard is there to assist with opening the main door entrance and other times not, this isn't a major problem, it just might help for consistency.

One last moan : I have always wanted to join their loyalty club - Prokard, but despite staying at more than 5 Protea hotels across the country in the last few weeks, I was told that none of my nights could be credited and reflected on my Prokard, this is not on as even Voyager offers a three month backdate to entice new Voyager members - which I joined a week ago! So will still think about joining Prokard......

Well done to the management and staff!

Room Tip: No real advantage in room choice as there is no sea view so all rooms are a good choice! Invest in a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 May 2012

There are very few hotels that I have stayed in that offer such great service during a major event such as Indaba. Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge really made sure that our time when we got back from Indaba ran like getting back to home base. The hotel assisted in have a special mothers day breakfast which was priceless. All members of staff can not do enough to make your experience better. All 17 members of the group only had good things to say about the hotel. Kudos to all team members.

Room Tip: Standard room are comfortable enoough
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
PHURDurban, General Manager at Protea Hotel Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear BenoniTraveller

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge and thank you for your time spent in letting us have some feedback.

We are delighted to receive your commendations about the impressive service offered. Please be assured that I will congratulate our TEAM for doing a great job!

We look forward to welcoming you and your group back over Indaba 2013!

Reviewed 26 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel before in September but only for one night. This time I stayed for 5 nights during Indaba on business. As a business hotel it is tops and ticks all the boxes - big, very comfortable bed, clean fresh and high quality linen, huge power shower, ample space to work. Breakfast was tops with an excellent assortment of cold and hot. There is an outside area to relax, 7th floor outdoor swimming pool and a small gym. 1 minute walking distance to the Gateway shopping centre. As location goes, easy to get around. Tina, the GM is always availalbe and seems to have an ever presense for guests expectations, a talent/sense that has been past down to all her staff. Congratulations, you should be ranked first!!

Room Tip: Suggest a room away from the lifts, even though they are quite it can be busy
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
PHURDurban, General Manager at Protea Hotel Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Dear LenJackson

Thank you!! Your congratulations are appreciated and has caused much excitement amongst the TEAM! It is always rewarding when we succeed in achieving the Protea Hotel’s GUEST service vision of ‘Anticipating, Meeting and Exceeding our GUEST expectations!

Thank you for taking the time to let us have feedback on your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed visiting with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 May 2012

It has been my third stay at this hotel, and I keep enjoying the convinience of the location, with great shops and restaurants across the street. Nice modern and confortable rooms and beds, and helpful staff

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
PHURDurban, General Manager at Protea Hotel Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

Dear Syllia

Thank you for taking the time to let us have feedback with regards to your recent stay. We are delighted to receive your commendations about our facilities, service and location.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further assistance you may require.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

The hotel is about 20mins from Durban but in an area where there are several shops and a huge shopping mall (getaways Mall) so you have just to cross the road to find whatever you need.
The best of the hotel is certainly the level of service, the whole staff and managers till the general manager that I meet almost every day at breakfast, are absolutely great and professional.
Rooms are well furnitured, modern and functional.
Room service is good but they could add some desserts

The only "average" score would be for the housekeeping that is not always as I would expect...but more than acceptable.

Next time I will be in Durban I will come back

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
PHURDurban, General Manager at Protea Hotel Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Dear Danysker

Thank you for taking the time to let us have feedback on your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you found the TEAM friendly and efficient and the hotel comfortable.

I would really appreciate a direct mail from you with further comments regarding housekeeping so that I am able to address the areas in which your expectations were not met.

We do offer desserts on the room service menu and I have reminded the STAFF to promote these, when taking a room service order.

Your interest and concern are extremely valuable to us, and we hope that you will be staying with us again soon. We should welcome another opportunity to show you Protea Hospitality at its best!