“Beautiful Hotel”

Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Baroda
“Beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

This Hotel just opposite to the Gateway in Umhlanga is an excellent place to stay for business and with family. I was given a Suite room with two rooms and a big apartment type room. It was excellent. The room was clean, and each item was very particularly placed in the room. The Restaurant has excellent food, breakfast was excellent. Overall a very nice Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms opposite to Gateway give a good view.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Dear SoumitBaroda

Thank you for letting us have feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

We are delighted to receive your commendations about the property and services. Please be assured that I will
congratulate our TEAM for doing a great job!

Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea hotel Umhlanga Ridge and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any further assistance you may require in future.

Regards

Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
London United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

The hotel is cleanish - well compared to the other Protea brand hotels i have stayed in. Wooden floors in the room I was in and they were dusty. But the bed was comfy and nice. Internet antenna on the roof were faulty so that menat no internet until 45 minutes before check out which was annoying. No sea views so in truth you could have been anywhere... An adequate hotel I would use again but at the right price.

Had dinner in the hotel and food was nice enough. Price was reasonable enough too but I think you owuld probably find cheaper and nicer elsewhere but it was ok! Tip though... When ordering the preggo roll... ASK FOR NOT MANY Chillies! Nearly blew my head off!! But still tasty!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
PHURDurban, General Manager at Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear Mr Watmough

Thank you for taking the time to let us have feedback with regards to your recent stay. GUESTS feedback is imperative for us to ensure whether or not we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS’s expectations. We need to know when we have done right,
but more importantly, when we have done wrong! Your feedback has therefore been truly invaluable to us.

Please accept our apologies for the discomfort caused and be assured that your comments have received our urgent attention.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge soon!

Regards

Durban
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

Nice hotel, well located, clean but so noisy! Doors slammed all night long (lots of airline crews apparently) and the walls between rooms are so thin it's like sharing a room.
Nice for shopping not for sleeping....

Dear PascaLDurban

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, regarding your recent stay with us at the Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge. We rely on GUEST feedback to determine both the positive and negative aspects of our hotel and to improve wherever possible.

Please accept our apologies for the discomfort caused. We have addressed the issues raised by you and trust that our plan of action will eliminate these matters going forward.

We value your support and look forward to your next visit. Please contact me direct and I will do my most to ensure that you have a satisfactory stay with us.

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

Nice hotel - room on the smallish side, but ok for one person.
With two travelling, and two suitcases etc, might be a problem. (I was just in a standard room).
Water pressure in the shower pretty awful - didn't make me feel clean and wasn't a strong stream.
Breakfast was good with decent options, and decent room service menu.
Air con in the room is "COOL ONLY" and the room was very stuffy. Didn't seem to clear the air at all, or cool the room down. I ended up opening the windows and it was ok, if a little noisy from the road traffic.
Front desk staff friendly, helpful and tried their best.
Across the road from a VERY large mall with countless shops which could take up half a day or more of your time.
The best thing - HOORAY! 100mb of free internet per day! About time a hotel had a fair and decent internet policy. It was the only Protea Hotel I stayed in during my time in Africa that had this. (Others were a paltry "free" 15MB per day for example).
Credit to the hotel management for providing this. Would make me come back.
Good, solid hotel and well run. Recommended.

1 Thank Lachlan72
Dear Lachlan72

Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for recommending the Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge!

We have noted your comments regarding the air-conditioning and water pressure, discussed with our maintenance TEAM and taken the necessary corrective action. Please accept our apologies for the discomfort caused.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

I did a walk in to reserve a room but rates of this hotel were cheaper online, I pointed this out to the staff and they matched the rate without too much fuss. Glad that common sense applied, it often doesn't when it comes to policy.

The reception was excellent, very friendly and positive attitude. The room itself was superb, clean, roomy and comfortable and an excellent shower!

My only disappointments was the pool was out of service and room service food quality wasn't all that fantastic (but it was fast).

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Johannesburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

In any hotel, from the first impression to the check out, the management style comes through, in the case of Protea Umhlanga Ridge, this is clear, in a good way.

On check in the amazing Brendan was super helpful, friendly and went out of his way to make me feel welcome. He upgraded my room to an amazing loft unit , that I will certainly be staying in again. The all day breakfast is a plus. The room could have done with a little extra dusting though, even though the room was clean. My unit had two bathrooms, (in the main bathroom the soap holder is coming away from the mall (ATTENTION : HOUSEKEEPING!) one bedroom, a lounge area and was on the 7th floor so the rooftop pool was within easy reach and never full (mainly due to the cold weather I guess) . Across a green, palm tree lined avenue to one of the provinces largest shopping malls, Gateway, the hotel is as convenient as you can get for the business traveller wanting to stay out of town. No view of the sea (there is a sliver of a view from the corner of the pool deck but other wise guests look out onto the mall and water adventure area as well as a park area which seems to be used for weekend markets on a Sunday). The breakfast service was standard with an egg station - strange that this is not the case across all Protea Hotels and makes the difference between Protea owned and franchisee owned facilities clear. Having just checked out and learning that my flight is only at 17:00 hrs, the amazing Brendan and Mvelo asked if I would like to delay my check out till later. A very generous offer which I declined as I had meetings in the coffee shop for the rest of the day. All in all, a great service which is sad for facilities not holding up to the Protea Standard as it makes their shortcomings all the more obvious! The security/concierge could be more consistent as sometimes the security guard is there to assist with opening the main door entrance and other times not, this isn't a major problem, it just might help for consistency.

One last moan : I have always wanted to join their loyalty club - Prokard, but despite staying at more than 5 Protea hotels across the country in the last few weeks, I was told that none of my nights could be credited and reflected on my Prokard, this is not on as even Voyager offers a three month backdate to entice new Voyager members - which I joined a week ago! So will still think about joining Prokard......

Well done to the management and staff!

Room Tip: No real advantage in room choice as there is no sea view so all rooms are a good choice! Invest in a...
Benoni, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

There are very few hotels that I have stayed in that offer such great service during a major event such as Indaba. Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge really made sure that our time when we got back from Indaba ran like getting back to home base. The hotel assisted in have a special mothers day breakfast which was priceless. All members of staff can not do enough to make your experience better. All 17 members of the group only had good things to say about the hotel. Kudos to all team members.

Room Tip: Standard room are comfortable enoough
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
PHURDurban, General Manager at Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear BenoniTraveller

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge and thank you for your time spent in letting us have some feedback.

We are delighted to receive your commendations about the impressive service offered. Please be assured that I will congratulate our TEAM for doing a great job!

We look forward to welcoming you and your group back over Indaba 2013!