“Acceptable. Some small niggles got in the way of a good stay”

Protea Hotel Marriot Durban Umhlanga Ridge
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Nice location if you want to shop, but a drive away to the beach. The staff were friendly, but the family room was a bit too basic. What is the point of having a fridge and microwave, but no eating implements? It was also somewhat strange that we could not sign for breakfast, but had to pay cash there and then! Might have been embarrassing if we had not had cash! No explanation was given as to why this was either. Also very awkward when we came back from the beach to find that there were no towels. When we asked we were told we had to wait 30 minutes and when we suggested other options I.e. they get towels from the pool or an empty room the housekeeping staff disappeared, never to be seen again! 4 people had to make do with a shower to clean sand off and one hand towel. Not satisfactory.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
PHURDurban, General Manager at Protea Hotel Marriot Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Grumpybrother

We really appreciate you taking the time to inform us of the ‘small niggles’ during your recent stay. As you are aware, Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service and strives to get the basics right consistently and therefore, feedback is of utmost importance to us.

Please accept our apologies for the discomfort caused and be assured that we have followed up on your comments and rectified the shortcomings in our services.

The GUEST directory of services in the room does indicate that basic kitchen equipment is available to be placed in the room, should this be required. At check-in GUEST should be offered the option to either provide a deposit on their account for incidentals or pay for services at the time of delivery.

When planning your next trip to this area, please contact me direct and I will assure that every effort ismade to meet and exceed your expectation.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge!

Regards,

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I recently stayed at the protea hotel umhlanga ridge for six nights and I am sad to say that it is definately not up to standard. After complaining numerous times to the manager who did try her utmost to solve the situation, I was still unhappy. The service of in house dinning is pathetic. I waited 45 minutes for my drinks to be delivered at the pool area. When my drinks finally arrived it was not even opened and no bottle opener was carried up either. I waited another 30 minutes for a bottle opener.

The room was not cleaned properly every day. There was always clumps of hair found on the floor. I had to constantly ask housekeeping for toilet paper and body wash.
There was snot on my duvet the first night that I went to bed.

Cleanliness is of utmost importance to me and if it is to you as well I suggest you not stay at this particular hotel. I know I wont!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nathisha B
PHURDurban, General Manager at Protea Hotel Marriot Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Nathisha B

We would once again like to apologise for the discomfort caused during your recent stay. The feedback provided by the manager who was assisting you, certainly does not reflect the high standard of service and quality that we are usually proud to offer. Please be assured that the necessary corrective action has been taken to rectify the shortcomings.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We love this hotel, multiple visits in last three years. The children have their own room, the rooms are spacious and very comfortable. You have turn down and clean up if you showered before dinner. Great staff , excellent service and outstanding management feed back. We will return any time. Two days here feels like a holiday.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
PHURDurban, General Manager at Protea Hotel Marriot Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Noeleen H

We love your reply ! Thank you for taking the time to let us have such encouraging feedback. Your mail has been forwarded to the TEAM and everybody is delighted!

We thank you for your loyal support and look forward to welcoming you back to the Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge!

Reviewed 27 December 2013

i stayed with my wife for the second time in this hotel for our december holidays (8 nights in total- all paid upfront non refundable). the reason to go back to the same hotel after a blooper first time around was due to shortage of accommodation in umhlanga.

both times they had a problem with their room air-conditioning. the first time we stayed in April 2013 for 2 nights, we had to change our rooms thrice and this time around when i was checking in, I had asked the management to make sure that they give me a room which has no such issue and they said they have checked and all is in order… so after dropping our luggage when we came back late that night, we realised that it was the same thing all over again… only the fan was blowing at very low speed and was hardly blowing any cold (room 511).

upon complaining, i was shown 4 different empty rooms at midnight, in which i went personally, put the air-conditioning on for an hour and came back later for inspection. To my surprise only room 319's air-conditioning was working properly, rest was all having the same issue!!

So we shifted our luggage that night. i also noticed during my stay that a lot of windows are kept open by guests, meaning the others also face similar aircon issues (and this is not because of enjoying pleasant durban weather!)

the hotel is recommended otherwise due to its ideal location but you can try your luck. my experience had 2 visits over 8 months and only 2 out of 7 aircons worked!

Room Tip: if you enter your rooms and the fan is not blowing at full blow chill and you do not hear it as slig...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Wyze_guy81

Thank you for taking the time to let us have your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We rely on GUEST feedback to determine both the positive and negative aspects of our hotel and to improve wherever possible.

We apologise sincerely for the discomfort caused and will contact you direct to address the concerns raised by you.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed here for one night on a quick trip to Durban, and what a nice surprise... Pleasant staff, willing to do whatever they can to make your stay a great one.
Rooms are large and clean with all the amenities you need, and very comfy beds, I got a great nights sleep.
The hotel is located opposite the Gateway mall, lots of shops and restaurants to choose from.
My only problem was the wifi connection... But I was told it was a problem with the whole area. Would definitely return if the wifi is fixed!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
PHURDurban, General Manager at Protea Hotel Marriot Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear Tomwmorton

Thank you for letting us know that your stay with us was good! Wifi functioning at 101%..so what about that return visit you promised us?

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge!

Regards.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

On the first night of a 4 night business stay, noisy neigbours partying on the 3rd floor caused an unpleasant disturbance from 01:40 until after 04:00. This was reported to reception twice, but unfortunately to no avail. The next morning I requested to be moved to a more quiet area of the hotel, which was done quickly and efficiently. Unfortunately the layout of the hotel, with long corridors and doors closing loudly, does contribute to the echoing noise problem, as well as being situated right opposite Gateway Mall, with street sounds compounding the issue.

Rooms were spotlessly clean, quite spacious and well equipped. The breakfast buffet is OK, but not great, as is the level of service in the restaurant. Menu prices are quite reasonable, but I found the cost of drinks quite high. Parking is quite readily available and charged at R55 per day. Free WiFi is available @ 500mB per day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the "quiet" side of the hotel, not facing Gateway.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
PHURDurban, General Manager at Protea Hotel Marriot Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Michael J

Thank you for your feedback pertaining to your recent visit at the Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge. We are most concerned that you did not experience a good night’s rest and apologise that the ‘noisy neighbours’ were not dealt with more hastily and effectively, this has been addressed.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

It was a lovely 2nights stay indeed. My 3 nieces were warmly welcome with VIP packs for kids. A very children friendly hotel truly. I personal appreciated the cleanliness. I highly recommend the place. The staff was all round friendly and always willing to assist.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Mpho999s

It is great to hear that you and your 3 nieces had a memorable stay with us. I have forwarded your comments to the TEAM, which I am sure has brightened up their day.

We wish you a wonderful holiday season and look forward to welcoming you back to the Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge!