“Fantastic budget hotel”

Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
johannesburg
“Fantastic budget hotel”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My wife and I stayed here 24 dec-27 dec and again 31 dec-2 jan. We stayed here as everywhere else was full. The staff were awesome on both stays and very helpfull. Rooms are quiet small but clean and decent. Aircon worked perfectly. The hotel is in gateway mall's parking lot. I highly recommend this hotel if u on a budget. It is a 10 min drive to umhlanga beach.

• Stayed December 2011
4 Thank es786

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Vryheid
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I had booked an overnight stay here as the City Lodge I usually stay in was full. To start with the website incorrectly charged me for three rooms instead of one. It took me 6 phone calls and 4 emails before they agreed to pay me back the difference. On arrival at the hotel I was in a hurry as we had tickets to a film that was starting shortly. The lady at the front desk greeted me then ignored me. She flirted and chatted with another customer for a while then phoned someone and chatted for a few minutes. Twenty minutes later she decided it was time to let us check in. I was then told that I had booked a smoking room but requested a non-smoking room. This was total BS as I made sure I had booked a non-smoking room as I hate smoking rooms. She then raised her voice telling me that I was wrong then disappeared into the back room. Sometime later she returned and told me again that I had a smoking room but through huge effort she could get me a non-smoking. I was then told that I should learn to read what I was booking and that I should not make that mistake again. I was livid. The room she gave us was on the ground floor and the door stuck so badly it took us ages to get in. The room itself was pleasant enough with a small en-suite and was good value for money. I am sure we were given a room that had issues with the door just because I got angry. I will never stay at the hotel again after the attitude from the staff and I will send letter to the head office.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank katinafrica

Travellers are raving about these Umhlanga Rocks hotels

Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Friendly staff
Very neat hotel and in walking distance to Gateway shopping mall.
Value for money

• Stayed March 2011
3 Thank JKoen
eastlondon
Reviewed 8 June 2010

I have stayed many times in your range of lodges around the country but booked out yesterday to be told the rate had increased the previous night andf I would have to pay extra. THIS IS NOT ON. I stayed 4 4 nights at a prearranged rate. This left a bad taste in my mouth. ( I would have recommended your hotel but this is not the way to do business)

• Stayed June 2010
2 Thank 7777eastlondon
Harare-Zimbabwe
Reviewed 25 February 2010

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in December. The rooms are clean and we enjoyed the proximity of the hotel to Gateway Shopping Centre and the beach. However, it would be wonderful if the rooms are divided into smoking and non-smoking.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank MVMHarare_Zimbabwe
JHB
Reviewed 3 October 2009

After a recent trip to the hotel I was definitley not impressed with the service, this was earlier in the year (2009). After i complained to the manager i was promptly attended to and who assured me that this was a once of occurrance. On this visit the hotel staff definitly made this stay a five star experience. i wil definitly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting. Thanks to the manager and the staff for an excellent stay

Stayed July 2009
2 Thank Keegs_JHB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Umhlanga Rocks
Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga
Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umh...
#11 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Road Lodge Durban
Road Lodge Durban
#24 of 43 in Durban
Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Umhlanga
Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban ...
#10 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
No photo provided
Regal Inn Umhlanga
#1 of 1 in Umhlanga

Been to Road Lodge Umhlanga? Share your experiences!