“an excellent place for a visitor” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga

Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Maseru, Lesotho
“an excellent place for a visitor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

I was in durban with my wife for some business. this was my first visit there so used trip advisor to check out a few hotels & finally decided on this one. Its a great place a walkable distance to a nearby mall, and also to the beach. ask for ocean facing rooms for a great view. its in a quiet area of town and has secure parking. the food is good - try the prawns!. there is free wifi in the rooms. the hotel staff is also quite helpful. i had a meeting on the other end of town and they helped me not only get up on time but also arrive there on time, they even prepared a breakfast pack so i wouldnt miss breakfast...how thoughtful.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank lsn-rhm
Holiday Inn E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you so much for your positive review of our Hotel. I am pleased to hear you had a memorable stay with us and that you feel you received great service. We certainly do value your feedback and we certainly look forward to your next visit with us.

Yours sincerely
Bronwyn McLeod – General Manger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Turkish first
Arusha, Tanzania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

last stay - 16 Dec, 2013 and 17 Dec, 2013.. I am a regular guest of this hotel and whenever I visit Durban .. I always stay in this hotel..
Staff is very friendly .. Rooms are comfortable .. Very Nice Shower, Housekeeping is very efficient.. Buffet Breakfast is delicious......Over all Good Service....
Surely I will recommend to all of my friends and I will always stay in this hotel.. Keep it up !
Planning to come again in MAy, 2014.. So see you soon guys

Room Tip: All rooms are good..
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank nffp
Holiday Inn E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for your continued support. We truly value your feedback and are pleased to read that you had a wonderful stay at our establishment in December.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel later this year as indicated in your feedback.

Yours sincerely,
Bronwyn McLeod – General Manager
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel from the 31st Dec 2013 to 2 Jan 2014. The service at this hotel was absolutely shocking. There were cockroaches crawling around the breakfast room. The pool was green and the hotel expected guests to swim in this water.
I raised my concerns with management who advised that they would look into the matter and provide feedback. To date, no feedback was provided.
It appears that management have no authority to make decisions at this hotel and customer service is not a priority.
I certainly wont be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Muhammad Anees H
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Durban Umhlanga. I am sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We'd like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honour of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Umhlanga.

Bronwyn McLeod
Colchester, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

I had the misfortune of staying at this hotel for a night in January (all the other regular hotels were full due to the holiday season) and I certainly wont be returning there. I got the impression that they were trying to accommodate as many people with the fewest amenities as possible and make the most money from them - big mistake, their short term strategy worked but long term cannot be viable.
Quick review - The room was expensive for what I got, there are no bathes, just showers, small TV sets, expensive internet, parking which you had to pay extra for, a couch with a mattress which hadn't been folded away so it took up all the room, no cupboards or shelves to hang clothes, dirty windows, no room service, sheets that didn't quite fit the mattress, no gym and finally no management to be seen at any point of my stay.
The breakfast self service area was so small that the queues were constant and unrelenting - my kitchen service area at home is almost the size of the serving area in this dining room and we have a 4 bedroom house - not a 450 room hotel.
Sorry Holiday Inn, you certainly wont get my hard earned money again.

Room Tip: Sea facing
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PeteF621
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear PeteF621,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant. I am very sorry that you were not satisfied with the level of service, facilities and amenities you received during your stay. It is truly regrettable that our room accommodations and breakfast service did not live up to your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Gaborone, Botswana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel for 4 nights the staff were very organised and friendly. The rooms were pretty good and very comfortable. We had a sea facing room with great views of the sea. The hotel unlike some other hotels in the area was not right on the beach but it was a reasonable distance . The main pro of the hotel was its distance form the gateway shopping center (it's a 5 mins walk). The facilities were good as we'll and well maintained. The breakfast service was also very good. The car park was also very big. All in all we truly enjoyed our stay there it has a good value for money and a great place to stay for a family.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rishay P
Holiday Inn E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you for your positive feedback from your stay at our Hotel. I am so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our facilities to be good value for money. We are extremely fortunate to be situated in a prime position in Umhlanga – close to King Shaka International Airport, Gateway Theatre of Shopping and the beautiful Umhlanga Beaches.
We certainly value your feedback and hope you will continue to make choose the Holiday Inn Express Brand for vacations.
Warm regards
Bronwyn McLeod - General Manager
johannesburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here from 24-26 December. We enjoyed it. The staff were friendly on checkin. Breakfast staff were quiet efficient in allocating tables quickly to guests even though it was full. well done. My room was big, spacious and just like any other holiday inn express room you would find in south Africa but with a fantastic view. Thanks also to the general manager for my requests being met. I like that fact that this hotel has a lot of parking available even when the hotel is full. I recommend Holiday Inn express umhlanga.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank es786
Thank you for your favourable review regarding your recent stay at our Hotel. Your positive feedback is appreciated and will be shared with all staff. We certainly are fortunate to have the most spectacular ocean view from our Hotel.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express Umhlanga in the near future.
Warm regards
Bronwyn McLeod – General Manager
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice recently. Its new and the location is excellent for anyone doing business in the Umhlanga area. It's an Express hotel so the furniture is basic but clean and comfortable. I ate at the restaurant next door , which was also very satisfactory. The sea facing bedrooms have great views. The staff are very friendly...I arrived for an early check in (without pre warning them) and they sorted out a room quickly.The offered me coffee in the lobby and once the room was ready they came to look for me in the lobby area to give me the key.
Check in and out very efficient.

Room Tip: Sea facing is best and high up if possible.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SamOLeary
Holiday Inn E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Mr O'Leary,

We are so thrilled that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated and will be shared with the team. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.
Warmest regards