The Square Boutique Hotel & Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Protea Hotel Durban Umhlanga(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$145
  • Pool
US$237
US$199
Protea Hotels
  • Pool
AHA Gateway Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$133
US$108
Agoda.com
The Oyster Box(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$344
Royal Palm Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$205
US$93
Agoda.com
The Sibaya Lodge(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$103
Teremok Marine(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$163
Priceline
Breakers Resort(Umhlanga Rocks)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsrooftop poolbusiness tripsleeper couchroom service isgateway mallking shaka airportumhlanga ridgeenjoyed my staycomfortable bedsminute drivespent nightshome from hometop classleonardfinishessupperleisure
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This abomination of a hotel has neither a reliable internet service nor a bar for residents after 10.00 PM. This is the second time I have stayed here. There will never be a third time. These Micky - mouse hotels need to understand that customers expect the internet service to be as reliable as a flushing toilet, or warm water in a shower. I will never stay in this place again, nor recommend anyone else to do so.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Smiler_8
Vejan P, General Manager at The Square Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Smiler_8,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the WIFI. Unfortunately in a world that rely's heavily on technology -we sometimes find ourselves at the mercy of these technologies (as in the case of the internet failing during your stay). As in life that there some things that we can control and some things that we cannot. Those that we directly have control of; we can curb and readily rectify - but when other suplliers are involved, this sometimes takes a bit longer and I am sorry that you were inconvenienced.

Nonetheless, this has been rectified and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Checked-in into a room that was not fresh, it had merely been "spray" with a fragrance as a mask. The phone was disconnected meaning could not call front desk. Someone was sent to "fix" the phone, which was a waste of time because a few minutes after he left, the phone was nonfunctional again. We eventually had to call the front desk using our cellphone, we were put on hold and transferred several times, and were eventually forced to physically go to the front desk to make a request.
Room service was horrible, the order arrived to the room in 2 parts, and they were unable to differentiate between soda water and sparkling water. We had to request simple items like salt and pepper, as they were not included with the original order, and they still forgot to bring them.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry that you did not have an exceptional experience with us and wish to advise that is not the norm.

On your next trip to South Africa / Durban - please feel free to contact me on : gm@thesquare.co.za and I will ensure that you are well taken care off.

Thanks.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Lovely medium sized hotel with contemporary interior located in Umhlanga. (I definitely prefer Durban North/ Umhlanga to central Durban. Glad I did not book on the Golden mile or Florida rd)

The Square is probably better suited for business than leisure considering the hotel's location in and amongst various (small) office blocks and slightly further away from the beach than resorts at the bottom of the hill close to the beach. That said, I stayed for leisure and prefer this hotel to busier family orientated resorts.

Both the standard and deluxe rooms are perfectly comfortable offering large beds, flat screen televisions, et al. The deluxe rooms are slightly bigger and has a bath and shower as opposed to shower only in the standard rooms.

This hotel is definitely superior to the Royal Palm situated opposite Gateway shopping centre, which is also in the Three Cities stable

I would definitely stay here again. The food was delicious, the staff I came in contact with were friendly and helpful, the location good, and the rooms offered all the necessary mod-cons. Good value for money!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Dear Daniel,

Awesome to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and its offerings. I am pleased that the Three Cities Square Boutique Hotel & Spa is definitely your destination of choice.

We look forward to welcoming you back home !

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I went to the hotel in the last weekend of October and I found it an extremely wonderful and pleasant experience. We were easily accomodated with an early check-in and a porter kindly escorted us to our room. The room was quite large, with ample space and modern finishes. The bathroom and especially shower were fantastic (endless space). The staff were quite helpful and prompt with ironing requests and every evening we received a letter with the expected weather conditions for the following day. The only thing to be wary of is that on Friday nights it seems the restaurant/bar is turned into some kind of club/party so if possible, ask for a room on the second floor. I visited the spa on the Saturday afternoon and had two lovely treatments. The spa is clean and reasonably priced, but not terribly fancy. I had one meal at the restaurant (a lunch sandwich) and it wasn't anything spectacular but it was acceptable. If you are planning to eat out a lot I would definitely recommend this hotel as the rooms are exceptional value for money.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the second floor if staying on a Friday night.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thato B

Dear Thato,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel and its offerings.

We do apologise for the noise from our Sky Bar ( situated on our pool deck ). On a Friday night - due to this being the weekend and we want our guests to unwind we do have live music and happy hour - where all local drinks are half price and sometimes our guests do go a bit overboard and for this we apologise.

I have noted your comments about your room and placed this onto your profile.

Thank you once again and we look forward to helping you create precious memories.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Convenient business hotel close to Gateway shopping centre and convenient for Durban King Shaka Airport. Rooms are functional, but lack a bath though. There is a shower! Breakfast is buffet style. TV did not work very well; international TV although advertised was unavailable. Free wifi did not last long Staff helpful and friendly and rooms clean

Room Tip: No advantages
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Zeta Tours,

Thank you for your feedback. At the time off our stay we did experience problems with our IPTV. This has since been rectified.

I am also pleased to advise guests that we now also offer 200mb free WIFI per day.

Thank you.