“Great hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Richards Bay, South Africa
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Fantastic little hotel just outside the hustle and bustle of the Gateway area. Room was neat, clean and spacious. Booked a superior king room. The complimentary tea/coffee was more than sufficient for 2 people. The king size bed was very comfortable. A sleeper couch in the room is great if you're traveling with kids. Rain shower head and a decent size shower cubicle. We had supper at the restaurant.Very nice lighting creates an excellent atmosphere. Food and cocktails were good. The menu is not very big but sufficient to cover various tastes. Meals range from around R85 for a burger and chips to around R150 for grills. Cocktails from around R40. There's also an Italian restaurant just accross the road and the Gateway Shopping centre is a 5 minute drive away. Parking is in the basement and is a bit small but manageable. Staff were friendly and the general appearance of the hotel and restaurant was really good. Value for money if you book via a site like hotels.com. The hotels website is threecities.com which is more expensive. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Vejan P, General Manager at The Square Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear SA Traveller,

I am pleased that you delighted in the offerings of our lovely hotel and definitely will agree with you that the Three Cities Square Boutique Hotel & Spa is definitely a great hotel. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back home.

Take care !

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Solihull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed i the hotel for two nights and had a room on the first floor. The room itself was very clean and had a lovely bathroom with shower. We did not eat in the hotel or use the bar, however we did use the rooftop pool which was very relaxing and you could just about see the sea from it! Staff were ok, the one girl on reception seemed a little distracted and offish when we checked in but the lady who checked us out was friendly enough. I would recommend a visit to the Oyster box for afternoon tea if you are in the area for a touch of old fashioned glamour!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Helen B
Dear Helen,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I chatted to the team and I apologise for the one person who made you feel unwelcome. This certainly is not our standard and rest assured will never happen again. On the whole, I am pleased that the rest of my team made up for it.

I agree with you, that the pool deck is "uber amazing" and we also offer you a chic high tea menu - which can be served on the pool deck; overlooking the Indian Ocean.

Once again, thank you and I look forward to welcoming you soon.
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed 3 nights at the Square boutique hotel recently that is situated in Umhlanga Durban. It is rated a four stars and is part of the Three Cities Group. At the time of writing the hotel has a brand new feel to it and does not have that damp and dank fishy odour to it yet. It is situated a short drive to anything you need to get to; Gateway Shopping Centre, Virgin Active gym, seafront, Highways, Restaurants, my most favourite one being Remos Fratelli, do not miss the experience of eating here (see my review on this)
Wi-Fi is very fast and even the area in which it is situated has 3G mobile signal most of the time. So for completing reports and for labourious work after work it is not a problem as there is a small work/desk area in all of the rooms
The only points that I found annoying and for any SKY NEWS fans out there like myself, you will know what I mean, I was trying to cover the recent Malaysia Airline that went missing and tried to find the latest update on its disappearance. There was a only a few channels available and although CNN was displayed an error message came up saying that this wasn’t available. The ladies at reception put it down to satellite issues with the latest storm that they had, which proved wasn’t the problem. On the 3rd night I was flicking thru the stations to pass time before going out for supper and found CNN tucked away under the Disney land channel.
The bathrooms are stunning and very clean however the shower boasts a huge head but a pitiful dribble is what you get instead beautiful downpour you thought would be delivered. The restaurant is on the small size but adequate and cosy, easy on the eye décor and comfortable surroundings in which enjoy a delicious early morning breakfast.
Just on a last note is on my last day there I decided to check out the fitness room and Spa area..Wow !! this has a wow factor and gives the most incredible view point of this beautiful City, see the pics attached but they certainly do not do any justice.

Room Tip: if you want to walk to the Virgin Active Gym its a beautiful brisk road up to the Gateway, passing t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank John H
Dear John,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
At the time of your writing; we acknowledge a problem with our IPTV sets but wish to advise that this has now been sorted.

So the team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon !

Ps: I agree - we do have an awesome gym :)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

When booked for Umhlanga Rocks, I somehow expected to see the sea from my room, even a side view. Unfortunately this is not the case from this hotel. I will add that the hotel looks and feels great with good quality woodwork in the rooms. The rooms also smells fresh. I do feel that it is too pricey for a room with no view. This hotel would therefore be a second choice in this area. The steak in the restaurant was a good choice but I would order this with a sauce next time. Parking was very convenient.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and have a car with you for convenience as this is a fair distance from t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately apart from our pool deck; we do not have a view. But what we lack in view, we make up for in service and ambience.
On your next visit to Umhlanga please contact me directly :gm@thesquare.co.za and I will arrange for a complimentary upgrade to a Deluxe room ( subject to availability ).

Once again thank you and we hope to welcome you back soon !
Port Alfred, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We recently spent a weekend at the hotel before travelling on to other holiday spots. We really enjoyed our stay. Breakfast could do with a bit more variety and waiters should receive more training, but a pleasant stay. Clean room, close to the beach and attractions. Good shuttle service. Excellent reception staff. Keep up the good work. The only disappointment was the spa being fully booked.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Jessica,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to advise that we have revamped our breakfast menu and our service levels as well.
I hope that on your next trip to Umhlanga you will book at the Three Cities Square Boutique Hotel & Spa and allow us to show case our new and improved skills as well as our mouth watering breakfasts.

Take care and see you soon.
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

Beautiful hotel
Great service
Absolutely clean
Peaceful
Delicious Food At the Restaurant (try the rack of lamb with red wine rew, Yummy)
Rooftop pool with a bar Spa, sonar, steam room and a gym
Close to Gateway mall and the beach

Will definitely go there again

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your awesome feedback !

Glad you enjoyed the hotel and its offerings.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

This abomination of a hotel has neither a reliable internet service nor a bar for residents after 10.00 PM. This is the second time I have stayed here. There will never be a third time. These Micky - mouse hotels need to understand that customers expect the internet service to be as reliable as a flushing toilet, or warm water in a shower. I will never stay in this place again, nor recommend anyone else to do so.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Smiler_8
Dear Smiler_8,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the WIFI. Unfortunately in a world that rely's heavily on technology -we sometimes find ourselves at the mercy of these technologies (as in the case of the internet failing during your stay). As in life that there some things that we can control and some things that we cannot. Those that we directly have control of; we can curb and readily rectify - but when other suplliers are involved, this sometimes takes a bit longer and I am sorry that you were inconvenienced.

Nonetheless, this has been rectified and we hope to see you soon!

Travellers are raving about these Umhlanga Rocks hotels