“Wonderful”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Cafe Verde
Cuisines: Brazilian
Description: An infusion of Latin-American flavours on African soil, results in a cosy carnival ambience. Luis Ferreira and his staff run with the ball, and are always onside.
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I am a culinary student from the US. I had the opportunity this summer to visit Durban, and one of the restaurants I chanced upon was Cafe Verde. This open, relaxed atmosphere welcomes anybody wearing shorts and sandals to suits and ties, with the same degree of professional and charming service that makes it feel more like dining with friends than paying for service.

From the origins of Brazil, with a little Mozambican flavor added to spice things up, I can say that there is not one thing I ate that I was not impressed with, including the liver, which I generally dislike as a food. Easily one of the best Piri-piri chickens I've found and the Moqueca were my personal favorites. Moqueca is a dish from the north of Brazil that is as complete a dish as a person is likely to find. It includes fish, shrimp (if desired), rice, coconut milk, vegetables and various seasonings that made it a veritable trip from Sao Paola and Rio de Janeiro to Brasilia.

Another luring charm of this unassuming gem is the Portuguese Chorizo. While sausage may be sausage, this is unique in the fact that the Chef, Luis, comes to your table and finishes it over firewater in a ceramic dish. Rarely have I had the opportunity to interface with a Chef at my table, a treat usually reserved for the rich and close, personal friends.

I cannot wait to return to Cafe Verde upon my next trip, whenever that may be. Thank you Luis, for all you've done!

Reviewed 10 November 2011

My wife and I enjoyed an evening at cafe verde. The service was somewhat laid back, but the food that came out of that kitchen was out of this world. From peri peri calamari & chicken liver starters to the most tender peppered steak!

Would highly recommend it and we will definitely be back.

Reviewed 15 February 2011

there's a lot of the same in Umhlanga and Durban, so this little Brazilian bombshell comes as an encouraged change... Enjoy their tasty cocktails, easy food and relaxed atmosphere. The owner/chef Luis is part Brazilian and he ensures as much authenticity as possible. I saw a woman enjoying her 30-something birthday here dressed up for "Rio Carnival" as a dancer, they went all out for her, the music, shooters, food... great idea.

Reviewed 23 December 2010

Having sampled the delights (and not so delights) that Durban/Umhlanga has to offer, Cafe Verde consistently comes out top and is fantastic value for money. The food is consistently good, the staff a real credit to the the owner/manager and his chef and the new menus (Dec 2010) offer some real appetite-wetting choices - hard to pick my favourite, but 'The girl from Ipenema' always goes down well.