“Poor description”

Coastlands Umhlanga
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed 8 December 2012

My wife and I decided to stay here for our last day/night prior to flying home, the plan being to relax outside by the pool

Well the room was nice, bet the management say thanks for the positive comments re the room

We checked in at midday, went to the room and unpacked, research of the hotel was competed via internet. Booked via Bookings.com

So downtime here we come..........

Off outside to the pool area, well there is plastic grass, appreciate on fourth floor of hotel but

No furniture at all, tables, chairs, loungers. I did find several thrown away in corner damaged.

No staff to assist re drinks etc

I was not going to end a great holiday in this fashion

Off I went to get a decent hotel, came back one hour later and spoke to the reception

A very nice lady but what can she do apart from offer me a lounger? the ones they had are broken. As said not willing to stay end of holiday here

We had not used the room or anything, spoke to the Manager who said we had to pay as bookings.com had to refund us. This has since been proved as false

The manager was almost panicking at the thought of us not paying, my card had not been cleared and I could have walked out. But I am an honest person so I paid and took the manager at his word

I would not recommend this place for holiday people, maybe ok for business but did not check

I do know the stairs to the business center were broken

I am unable to get any money out of the hotel, I could have lied and said I had to leave due to emergency or not paid but unlike certain people I am honest

Be interested to hear what tale the hotel give, I bet they say we offered an alternative solution, which was a plastic lounger

This is the first time I have ever left a hotel like this and indeed complained

I marked as poor not terrible as the superior room was good

Thanks

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Coastlands Umhlanga

Reviewed 22 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a conference. The room was comfortable with good views but with a connecting door to the next room, we were able to hear the conversation of our neighbours.
Lift system inadequate for size of hotel. Also security only allowed you to access the floor your room was on and public areas. Fire doors made it difficult to use stairs.
The swimming pool was cold and small and the towels for the pool had to be collected from reception on a different floor. The gym was poor too.
Breakfast was tasty but the service slow and at times confused.
Easy access to large shopping mall and restaurants but a long walk to the beach.
Close to the King Shaka Airport.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I can't believe this is the same group as the ridge road property.

After such a disappointing visit to ridge road I was blown away by this property.
Staff attentive professional and friendly.
Food was in a completely different class.
Everything was clean and well maintained , will definitely revisit and recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Kuben101, Manager at Coastlands Umhlanga, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback. It is a pleasure to hear that you have enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Curious place. I stayed here soon after it opened. The room was excellent, and some staff were excellent ( apart from the guy who swept my spectacles off a table to smash on the marble floor ! ). The room was excellent, and the breakfast enjoyable with friendly and helpful staff. The entrance on the 4th floor was odd, but worked. Some very pleasing ceramic decorations. Most rooms do not have sea-view, and the exterior appreacance is truly hideous. But the interior design is skilled and enjoyable, though some of the wallpaper is extremely noisy !
Maybe it was teething problems, but twice during my stay of a few days, I was called in my room after I'd gone to bed, to ask how I was planniong to pay for large orders I had never ordered ( and which should never of course have been taken by staff without payment assured and the right room number ? The first time I was asked who'd pay for my large order of bottled water I hadn't ordered, and the second time I was asked who to charge the large cake which had been delivered to my room ( and, sadly, had not been ordfered or received ).
There were also odd hammering noises at night, and the acoustics are not good --- I could hear far too much of the fun the folks were having in the room next door, and the conversations of anyone chatting in the large central lobby on each floor.
The lunch we had the first day was deplorable, but I expect this improved after these first weeks the place was open.

Room Tip: Only very few have sea-view, so ask about this if it's important to you ; and if there's a c...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Kuben101, Manager at Coastlands Umhlanga, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Dear Mayuri,

Thank you for your constructive feedback, it is feedback like this that helps us impove on the level of service that we deliver to our clientele.

This hotel has now been in operation for almost 2 years and we have had the opportunity to learn from the past and resolve the issues raised in your response over the last two years.

I would like to thank you again for your commitment to improving the experience of others when they travel to Durban and again for your patronage here at the Coastlands Umhlanga Hotel & Convention Centre.

Yours in Hospitality
The Management team.

Reviewed 3 August 2012

Very nice new Hotel on the north coast of Durban South Africa. Rooms are neat and clean and the beds very comfortable. Every amenity you could think of is catered for. The showers are great and spacious. The Reception is on the 4th Floor which is a bit weird. The Hotel seems to be a bit over the top with security concerns by restricting the floors you can get off with your Roomkey Card. Had a very nice pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Kuben101, Manager at Coastlands Umhlanga, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback, It is a pleasure to hear that you have enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel. The hotel was certainly built to please almost every guest that stays with us.

We do place a high emphasis on guest safety and our key cards serve also as an access key to the upper floors and guest rooms. This illeminates the possiblity of anyone who is not authorized to visit guests from gaining access to the upper floors.

I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 25 May 2012

Good location, interesting building design, spacious modern bedrooms and bathrooms. Loved he attention to detail. Warm friendly staff was very helpfull, especially at breakfast. Breakfast was halaal & delicious with a wide variety of good quality options. Changes were made to the menu daily which was encouraging, especially when one stays over for a few nights. The chef made every effort to satify our special requests. Will definately be back.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Thank Chalan Africa T... C

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback, it is a pleasure to hear that you have enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel. We do place a high degree of attention to fine dining and every step taken to create an unforgettable experience for our guests.

I do look forward to welcoming you again.in the near future and trust that your experience will be even better than the last.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

Awesome views. wonderful experience, fantastic comfortable rooms, spacious modern bathrooms, Breakfast- staff was warm,kind, assisted with your every need and very helpfull. THe assortment breakffastfoods takes you on a trip of its own. My fellow muslim attendees were thoroughly enjoying an all Halaal buffet. They had a ball. God bless and all accolades to your staff. A must return for us with next years INDABA

Room Tip: Ask the evening room delivery of biscuits or turn down to be before 19h00 if you sleep early
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Umhlanga Rocks
AHA Gateway Hotel
AHA Gateway Hotel
#7 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga
Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umh...
#11 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
aha Royal Palm Hotel
aha Royal Palm Hotel
#10 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Coastlands Musgrave Hotel

Been to Coastlands Umhlanga? Share your experiences!