“Family room - poor service, television does not work”

Coastlands Umhlanga
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Canada
“Family room - poor service, television does not work”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Pro: Beautiful hotel, great halal breakfast and safe parking.

Cons:
Service was poor at the restaurant.

We stayed here for 6 days and found the cleaning staff very rude. We were woken to loud banging on our door at 9.00am every morning by cleaning staff depite a ''do not disturb'' sign on the door. The cleaner asked us to leave the room soon as she wanted to go home early...we found this totally bizarre.

The television did not work for the entire time we were there- the only channel was MNET and we could not change it with the remote or on the TV itself. Despite numerous complaints..this was never attended to.

There was not enough coffee, milk, sugar and the shower gel/shampoo was not replaced daily.
The cleaners broke 2 of the glasses whilst cleaning and the turned them around and just left the broken glasses back on the counter.

In the 6 days we stayed there, the linens were never changed on the beds and there was no card which we could let cleaners know that we wanted them changed.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Stanger, South Africa
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Beautiful Hotel. Lovely Service. Big Comfortable Rooms. Breakfast is divine and seafood buffet supper was even better. Location is Awesome. Pools were a bit dirty and needed a tad more attention. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

It's normally a hotel I look forward to as my company has had several functions here. It have always enjoyed the fantastic spread of food here, great setup and uNdoubtedly the embiance can be a added bonus. My last stay, had a great room (915) but the shower was accumulating water and started to flood, the night of the 16th, the night in which I hosted the awards evening, whilst I enjoyed the overall food, the seafood station needs major improvements. I received my platter of prawns only to find the I could only eat 3 prawns and the rest was heads and shell. Too embarrassed to go back as I was the host, I let this go. I known this venue to be popular in my company, but as long as I chair my club, I will have to look twice if I have to come back, fix this guys as I like your venue.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Kuben101, Manager at Coastlands Umhlanga, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you for bringing this to our attention, our Food and beverage Manager is resolving this with his team and can assure you that going forward you will not encounter this again
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Neat and comfortable rooms. Friendly staff. Great breakfast. The stay, whist for business, was made very comfortable by the ambiance, well situated hotel, and friendly staff. Based on my first experience at this hotel I will be making this my "hotel of choice" when in Durban for business going forward.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 January 2013

The hotel has a great location with it being in the middle of everything. The beach is a short drive down the hill; the shopping mall is a short walk around the corner. The views are nice from the hotel. The pool is small but gets you wet when you get too hot. I think the staff require a bit more refining as I often found them talking loudly to each other in the public spaces, not very professional. The rooms are spacious but not enough cupboard space to unpack our clothes into. The television system is horrible and froze a number of times requiring it to be reset. Rooms have inter-leading doors that are paper thin, many early mornings we were unhappily woken up by a baby next door that would cry for an hour or two, at nights our neighbours would sit and talk with friends in the room and we could hear every word while trying to fall asleep. The lifts are irritatingly slow and one can wait quite some time before one with enough space arrives to collect you. No bacon or pork is served in the hotel as the kitchen is Halal, I don't find this to be very international and believe a hotel should cater for all and not just one religious group.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. You'll get a great view.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

Unfriendly reception and manager at reception. Refused to give early check-in by even 30min saying hotel was full but check out for previous nights guest was 2 hrs 30min before I wanted to check in. They would not even offer a drink while they made me wait for a room. Overall the staff and manager is pathetic.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Ytarmahomed
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Just checked out of your hotel and we had an awesome experience... The hotel was close to Gateway and we really enjoyed shopping there. The hotel is well designed and the friendly hotel staff ensured that we enjoyed our holiday. The pool on the third floor was small however we did enjoy our time spent on the pool deck. It was spacious and we could enjoy the sun. The gymnasium was great however small also.

Room Tip: Always ask for the corner rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family