“Good hotel just a few things to improve”

Coastlands Umhlanga
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My first time in Durban and I was welcomed at this hotel.
reception very helpful and all staff charming and welcoming.
It is quite a walk to the beach and the Gateway shopping mall
but manageable. About 15 mins to each.
Rooms are comfortable and spacious they could do with iron and board
The food in the restaurant is good .
They need a business center,but they did sort out my need to print.
They need more TV channels.I missed the BBC channels such as
World,Knowledge,Entertainment etc.
Gym is adequate but need a weights machine.

Room Tip: 5th fllor is nicest with some areas to sit outside your room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Having stayed here before we knew what too expect. This is the first hotel where I have stayed with the reception on the 4th floor! Having said that, I will always return here when we stay in Umhlanga. This hotel deserves its star grading. The food is of the best that can be found in Umhlanga. The rooms are great and the service is exceptional. If I had to find fault, I would recommend they improve on their porter service.

Room Tip: Book for your spa services BEFORE you arrive: you won't get an appointment otherwise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zapiture
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Let me be honest. This is a very nice hotel. Friendly staff and a decent location for the beach etc which is a 15 minute walk. My room was fabulous and very luxurious. My only complaint was that my room, booked through hotels.com was not found when I checked in and I had to firmly stand my ground to get a bed after a 24 hour journey. I had to leave my Amex details to secure a room despite having pre paid. Also, on check out, they tried to charge again. Although reception staff were friendly, the check in and out experience was like an amateur Fawlty Towers, very unimpressed. Otherwise, a great hotel, magnificently comfortable and great food.

Room Tip: Reconfirm your booking before you travel!!!! butchers Block restaurant at the Holiday Inn Express ac...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Letter to the GM: "Hi Andre,

My fiancee and I attended the aforesaid function on Saturday night and stayed over at your hotel.

We were very impressed by the event's food, service and efficiency in general.

I was delighted on the Sunday morning with all the breakfast staff on duty who allowed me to participate in making my own "Andy's giant omelette". The service was once again exemplary.

Please thank all your staff."

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I spent one night at this hotel. It is conveniently located in Umhlanga Rocks, close to the Gateway mall and the beach. Also close to a lot of the business parks in the area.

The check in staff was friendly and helpful. The room was nicely sized, clean and well equiped. Breakfast and wifi was included in my rate. The bed was great and comfortable.

Good hotel for a business stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and had some great experiances.

Sadly during my recent trip there seemed to be a problem regarding the travel agent paying for my accomodation up-front. On booking out my wife was charged for "extra's". When I advised the hotel that my voucher clearly stated full bill-back to the travel agent they stated they would only refund the monies to my wife after two weeks. I requesred speaking to the manager who was not available. I requested they resolve this issue the same day and for the manager to call me, this did not happen. I called the hotel the next day and requested to speak with the manager, to no avail.

Needless to say I will never again stay in, nor recommend, this hotel due to the pittyful service. No wonder the staff can't assist or commit to resolving a dispute, they obviosly mirror this behaviour of their management.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Chris F
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The room we were checked in had a door leading to the room next door. We didnt think this was a problem as the door was locked. In the early hours of the morning (of our second night at this hotel) we were woken up by a smell of DAGGA?WEED coming from the room next door through the leading door that the two rooms are sharing!!!!
Our sleep was disturbed. we called the reception to report the matter and reception and management took forever to come up and sort the matter to a point that I had to personally go down and have someone look into this. This is only then security was sent up and after about 30minutes of aurguing our neighbours left.

What is really bad is how the hotel can book two different people in those types of rooms as it is clearly family rooms and hence the leading door. We paid to get a peaceful and enjoyable stay and not the experience we had due to a hotel wanting to maximise it's revenue at the expense of the guests.

I will definitely NOT go back to this hotel and will not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple