“Really enjoyed staying at Coastlands” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coastlands Umhlanga

Coastlands Umhlanga
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Bloemfontein, Free State, South Africa
“Really enjoyed staying at Coastlands”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

As the title of the review suggests, I really enjoyed my stay at the Coastlands hotel in Umhlanga. I stayed in the hotel for 3 nights in October 2013 as a conference delegate. First of all my room was huge which was really wonderful, the bed was very big and comfortable, there was enough space to hang my clothes and plenty of drawers. I only had a shower in my bathroom. The air conditioner in the room was also a welcome addition as it was very hot and humid during my stay. I did not have a very nice view - my room was facing the parking area, but at a certain angle I could see the ocean. The service at the hotel was also excellent. A delicious buffet breakfast is served every morning from 6 am to 11 am on the fourth floor with a beautiful view of the ocean. Smoking is allowed on the 3rd floor at the pool until 8 at night but after 8 PM you are required to go to the ground floor to smoke. The conference facilities on the 2nd floor was really nice and spacious and the hotel staff are very organised. We were served scrumptious lunches at a breakaway room on the second floor. The hotel also has a gym and a spa and is located relatively close to the beach.

I'd definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Try and stay on the 5th floor because there are only 2 elevators in the hotel and sometimes you have...
5 Thank Anneri M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Penzance, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

The rooms were large and clean, as was the shower room, but cheaply furnished and decorated. The breakfast menu lacked any pork products, so only lamb and chicken sausage but no bacon. I must say though that we had the cheapest drinks we have ever had in a hotel, so that was definitely a plus.

The hotel is a very short walk from the Gateway shopping centre, but this lacks any upmarket shops so I didn't linger.

We were not happy with the glass walls of the bathroom, couldn't see the point of it all.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 5 days with our two children who are too old to share a room and to old to be far away. So we requested interleading rooms and this was provided without a hitch. We had two fabulous rooms and plenty of space. Very modern layout with lovely bathrooms. Our bathroom boasted both a lovely deep bath as well as a walk in shower and the other a huge walk in shower. Our rooms were cleaned daily. The breakfast team were very friendly and did anything they could to make the mornings something to look forward to. We were visiting family in Durban and went out most days but it was always welcoming to come back to the hotel at night. There is a KFC just outside the hotel so we were able to get a quick bite when needed with the children.

We had one small incident with our stay regarding a towel rail but it was resolved by the management and apologies were given, and following up as well.

This is a Halal restaurant and since we were visiting from Saudi Arabia we didn't mind this aspect but others might have issues not getting bacon in the morning. BUT let me assure the little lamb sausages are so yummy, you don't need bacon.

OH and the beds are VERY comfortable, my son said if he could take it home he would.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 10th floor have a lovely view! Well ours did:-)
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Antigua
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

My first time in Durban and I was welcomed at this hotel.
reception very helpful and all staff charming and welcoming.
It is quite a walk to the beach and the Gateway shopping mall
but manageable. About 15 mins to each.
Rooms are comfortable and spacious they could do with iron and board
The food in the restaurant is good .
They need a business center,but they did sort out my need to print.
They need more TV channels.I missed the BBC channels such as
World,Knowledge,Entertainment etc.
Gym is adequate but need a weights machine.

Room Tip: 5th fllor is nicest with some areas to sit outside your room
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Having stayed here before we knew what too expect. This is the first hotel where I have stayed with the reception on the 4th floor! Having said that, I will always return here when we stay in Umhlanga. This hotel deserves its star grading. The food is of the best that can be found in Umhlanga. The rooms are great and the service is exceptional. If I had to find fault, I would recommend they improve on their porter service.

Room Tip: Book for your spa services BEFORE you arrive: you won't get an appointment otherwise.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zapiture
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Let me be honest. This is a very nice hotel. Friendly staff and a decent location for the beach etc which is a 15 minute walk. My room was fabulous and very luxurious. My only complaint was that my room, booked through hotels.com was not found when I checked in and I had to firmly stand my ground to get a bed after a 24 hour journey. I had to leave my Amex details to secure a room despite having pre paid. Also, on check out, they tried to charge again. Although reception staff were friendly, the check in and out experience was like an amateur Fawlty Towers, very unimpressed. Otherwise, a great hotel, magnificently comfortable and great food.

Room Tip: Reconfirm your booking before you travel!!!! butchers Block restaurant at the Holiday Inn Express ac...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

Letter to the GM: "Hi Andre,

My fiancee and I attended the aforesaid function on Saturday night and stayed over at your hotel.

We were very impressed by the event's food, service and efficiency in general.

I was delighted on the Sunday morning with all the breakfast staff on duty who allowed me to participate in making my own "Andy's giant omelette". The service was once again exemplary.

Please thank all your staff."

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family