“Better customer service required”

Coastlands Umhlanga
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The hotel is centrally located and offers beautiful views.Both the rooms and bathrooms are well designed.....very aesthetically pleasing with all required amentities .Breakfast was lovely
However major improvement is needed in their customer services , we had problems with our check in , only one room card per family , and we had to call housekeeping 3 times and still did not get the required service.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

What a bad hotel; over and above POOR service; and it being a halaal hotel (we were informed of this after we complained about breakfast and no pork products); we had goods stolen from our room. We have requested video footage in passage to be reviewed; up to this point we were advised they have found nothing...lol what is worst is how they have made us feel and the level of assistance. We are checking out tomorrow morning and when we started to pack realised 1of our bags were missing as well. We were asked did we take bag from our room; maybe left it in the car...well we lost it and told them we are not stupid!!!!!!!!be prepared to wait for 4 hours for drinks at the pool; untrained staff; your goods not safe in your room.... WHAT A BAD EXPERIENCE...

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

I have never been more embarrassed or disappointed to have stayed in one of the most prestigious areas on the north coast - Umhlanga. The sole reason for this sheer disappoint is the Coastlands hotel Umhlanga.

From the parking ticket pandemonium to the leaking shower to the abysmal breakfast the entire stay has been tragic to say the least.

For those who wish to stay at this disastrous establishment be advised that you may expect the following:

1. To exit the hotel at any time you are required to visit reception to have your parking ticket endorsed. This is not only most inconvenient, as the lifts are only slightly faster than an airport trolley with its breaks set, but it is also a tremendous waste of paper- in an area which is supposedly well known for its green eco friendliness.

2. For breakfast enthusiasts BEWARE for lovers of bacon and pork sausages will be as sorely disappointed as the breakfast is. However for those who can stomach chilli, curry and spicy lamb, chicken, beans, sausages and eggs for breakfast you will have a field day as everything has some sort of spicy connection to it. When asked about the breakfast though management's simple answer is ... the hotel is Halaal! My problem with this is threefold: number 1- I fail to understand how a hotel can be Halaal, surely it's the staff, management and owners who are Halaal, if I am incorrect please let me know as I would love to understand this concept. Number 2- if you are Halaal surely you wouldn't have a bar and/or serve alcohol; is this not double standard (if I am allowed to purchase and drink alcohol in a hotel surely I can also eat pork??? Unless the serving of alcohol increases the bottom line then I assume it's ok right??) And finally in a country as diverse as South Africa with its dedicated tolerance of various languages, religions, beliefs, cultures and opinions not to cater for majority of its patrons could and in my opinion does amount to discrimination against Europeans and Christians alike. Oh yes let's not forget that management told us that they are not "certified" Halaal but practise it-go figure??

3. Be prepared for careless, slow and inattentive service from the reception staff, who inconveniently sit on the 4th floor, to housekeeping and to maintenance. To save myself the sheer frustration of failed service I did not even advise of the serious leak in our bathroom which after a shower could have been confused with a koi pond.

4. Smokers: don't even bother visiting here as the hotel is as unwelcome towards smokers as rain on a beach day. If you wish to smoke you are however welcome to stand or sit on the pavement like a common bum alternatively the entire hotel smokers are welcome to crowd around and stampede for the single ashtray on the pool deck. However in the rain be prepared to be the "common bum" as the pool deck is not even covered to make provision for those who are fairer skinned or who are sun intolerant, in this case I suggest sunscreen factor 900.

All in all this supposed 4 star establishment is no more worth than a half star!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sean B
Reviewed 28 December 2013

The Hotel itself is quite nice, it has big family rooms and there is more than enough space for everyone. Even the standard rooms are reasonably sized all with a view of Umhlanga.

However the lifts were a nightmare and breakfast is Halaal on most days. You have to often wait for sometime for a lift and on some floors there is no option to use the stairs.

To go to another floor you need a room key otherwise there is no way to access the area, unless you are going to floors 1-4. There was noise each night we were there and some of the staff members are petty insisting you do see things their way, for example: we wanted rooms close together as we went as a family and one of the 'hotel receptionists' insisted that it was silly to request that.

In short, the rooms and facilities are good but there is a lot of noise and half the staff is not properly trained in terms of customer service.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the 3rd floor any party happening on the ground floor or 2nd floor will come back to...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I have the dubious pleasure of having to stay at this hotel every time I am in Durban which is at least twice a month. every time there are little things and sometimes large problems with this hotel. this hotel is always noisy due to the design of a large atrium area and function rooms on the top floor. the housekeeping department call at all times of the day or night for arbitrary reasons. The design of the hotel is not welcoming and has a strange ambiance about it.

The idea of visiting this hotel never excites me and I avoid Durban where possible to avoid having to stay here. There are hotels that seem to be able to make one feel so at home; this hotel makes one feel ill-at-ease every time.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

Decided to stay here over the long weekend. We really enjoyed the hotel. Breakfast was always good. Rooms are clean and neat. The only issue we had was the poor lighting of the room . It made getting dressed an issue .. Also the lifts (elevators) are also very slow.. There are only two at the hotel. The spa is fair and is good value for money. The staff are friendly and keen to assist. It was an overall good experience

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Anoor
Reviewed 4 November 2013

As the title of the review suggests, I really enjoyed my stay at the Coastlands hotel in Umhlanga. I stayed in the hotel for 3 nights in October 2013 as a conference delegate. First of all my room was huge which was really wonderful, the bed was very big and comfortable, there was enough space to hang my clothes and plenty of drawers. I only had a shower in my bathroom. The air conditioner in the room was also a welcome addition as it was very hot and humid during my stay. I did not have a very nice view - my room was facing the parking area, but at a certain angle I could see the ocean. The service at the hotel was also excellent. A delicious buffet breakfast is served every morning from 6 am to 11 am on the fourth floor with a beautiful view of the ocean. Smoking is allowed on the 3rd floor at the pool until 8 at night but after 8 PM you are required to go to the ground floor to smoke. The conference facilities on the 2nd floor was really nice and spacious and the hotel staff are very organised. We were served scrumptious lunches at a breakaway room on the second floor. The hotel also has a gym and a spa and is located relatively close to the beach.

I'd definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Try and stay on the 5th floor because there are only 2 elevators in the hotel and sometimes you have...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business