“Nice bath!”

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Nice bath!”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Gateway Hotel for 5 days last week while in Durban at the Tourism Indaba. My room was very comfortable, I particularly enjoyed the bath in the bedroom, good fun laying in the bath and watching TV after a busy day of meetings. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the breakfast buffet had a nice variety (I liked the honey on the comb) and the room service menu was excellent, no need to venture out. Located close to the shopping mall was a bonus so I could pop out for gifts between the busy schedule.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ChavonnesMUSEUM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel when I had to go to Durban for work. the room was comfortable and the direct link from the hotel to the Gateway Mall was great. The hotel is also well situated for a 15 to 20 minute drive to the airport. The staff at the hotel are very friendly. Just a pity I did not have time to enjoy and relax on the rooftop with its pool and deck chairs! Would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: My room had a view of the water slides which form part of the Gateway Mall. Since it was too cold fo...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

My organization held a four-day meeting at the Gateway Hotel in the first week of May 2013 and we were treated to one of the best Conferencing experiences we have had country-wide.

Our rooms were ready on our arrival first thing in the morning, as opposed to the general two o' clock check-in which made us feel instantly at home, the Conference facilities were set up and ready for our use and the Conference team were always available, polite, extremely helpful and considerate to our needs. The tea-time snacks and meal menus were of a quality that is beyond compare. All staff throughout the hotel were extremely friendly and polite and eager to assist.

The rooms were fabulous and made us feel right at home as they were cleaned timeously and all toiletries were restocked daily. Situated right in the heart of the Gateway Mall was extremely convenient, especially for our colleagues from out of town as it allowed them to do some shopping before heading off home..

Definitely a venue I will use again and recommend to everyone.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2013 via mobile

Checked in on Wednesday 24 for a two night stay. While the staff are very friendly, they had no record of my dinner club Corporate card even though we have a corporate agreement with Three cities Group. Paid for the stay on my private card to get things going.

This was the first time I was put on the Gate way shopping centre side, and frankly I prefer the road side. He noise from an event park outside the window is rather unpleasant.

Ordered dinner in my room both nights, service was quick. Missed a desert spoon on the first night. Second night was great,the steaks are great just don't order the sources that go with them, weak and sloppy.

Breakfast has always been a plus a this hotel and this trip was no exception. Maybe just up the service of coffee in the morning.

My major negative and the reason I won't be staying here again is that my bags were tampered with while I was at my office. I normally leave my bag set up to check on tampering and this is the first time I've been able to 100% confirm tampering.

Pity because it is a really nice, modern and Eco friendly hotel.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Surrey
Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a few business days and decided to stay weekend. Nice setup. Very modern rooms. Top floor pool area was quiet and good for getaway. Close to Gateway centre for food and shopping.

There was a conference on the Friday I was there but away from main areas I was in. Enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2013
Switzerland
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We had a great stay at the hotel. Everyone was very friendly. We were impressed by the hole complex. The hotel is very good situated for the shopping center, beach. Very nice restaurant.
The staff is realy nice. We arrived with a real dirty car out of the Drakensberge. I was thinking about how to get a proper car. When I came to the parking lot the next morning, the car stud there like out of the showroom. That's real coustomer care!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Bloemfontein
Reviewed 4 February 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Gateway hotel at the end of January, it was an awesome experience. The hotel is brand new with very Modern features in teh rooms. We are not normally the modern chic kind of couple but we were staying in Umhlanga which has become a modern chic kind of place, so when in Rome! The value for money is execellent, the breakfast which was included was a vast array of everything you can imagine is served for breakfast, you definitely won't go hungry. I would recommend this hotel for business stays and jsut for a night or two of luxury and shopping as it is right next to gateway shopping centre.

Room Tip: I would request a room facing the water park.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple