“Great setting, great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Grill Room

The Grill Room
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Grill Room at the Oyster Box Hotel.
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great setting, great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Oyster box offers a great experience. We ordered our food and then took a walk on the beach while it was prepared. We had our lunch out on the patio area, overlooking the light-house. This was a great experience.

• Visited June 2014

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great food and great atmosphere reminding of yesteryears”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

The restaurant is great, has a huge starter trolley (which I always try) as you get to choose 18 or so starters.

Food is always excellent, kids can join (I do not think on Saturdays) as it is dance night.

Great place for romantic dinner when you are in Durban (especially on its dance night)

Visited September 2013
“Good service, cold food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful restaurant with excellent service, a good sommelier and variety. Our staters were really great- I went for a lovely prawn starter and my partner chose his starters off the starter trolley - a good experience. We were therefore quite surprised when our main courses arrived- cold. Not lukewarm- cold. It seems as though the oxtail was made earlier and just heated up afterwards. In our case this was not done properly and did taint our experience somewhat. Maybe sticking to seafood at this restaurant is a better idea. The service is really memorable though, the ambience great and I am sure we were just unlucky on the eve. Still not what I expected from the signature restaurant at Oyster Box.

1 Thank Reenwoud
“Dinner for 2”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

When we visited Durban in December, Oyster Box was number 1 on our list as places to see as a couple.

We tried booking for High tea but it was fully booked until Jan :( . We tried booking for accommodation and it was also fully booked in Dec! So that alone tells me how popular this place is…. so we decided to book for their dinner and dance which still had seats available.

When we arrived at the hotel, I immediately fell in love with the scenery. WOW! Thats all I could say…thinking why haven’t I come here before. We arrived early so we could walk around and see the hotel.

Oyster Box is situated right by the lighthouse so you can literally walk on the sand. Standing next to my husband and watching the perfect view made it so romantic :) Definitely the perfect venue in Durban for date night..

The staff was extremely friendly and our waiter Dubes made me laugh the entire night! I caught a cold as soon as we arrived in Durban so that night I kept on sneezing and blowing my nose. He was so sweet, he actually got a throw for me to cover myself LOL.. Best thing any waiter did for me.. That alone is SERVICE! He scored a 10/10 from me :) ..

Let me tell you about our Dinner and Dance experience:

Starters:

They welcome you with oysters :) ofcourse.. then Starters and so on. Vije decided to order prawns and I had a selection from their carousel which included salmon my favourite, prawns and a selection of others. It was very nice.

Main course:

Vije had pork and I had prawns. Vije was struggling to finish his main ..I think he was already full. My prawns was average, I hate cleaning them but I love eating it :) … I expected more flavour however it was cooked well and accompanied by a salad and rice. The portions was big so I also struggled to finish it.

For dessert:

Vije ordered crème brûlée and I had the sponge cake. The crème brûlée was good but I think I ordered the wrong dessert. Not a big sponge cake person so It wasn’t my favourite.. But we did finish everything :)

My overall experience:

Will I visit the hotel again? YES YES and YES :)

Will I eat there again? Definitely! I want to try high tea next time.

And by the way we did dance! Was so much fun. The band was awesome…

• Visited December 2013
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Birthday celebration”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I arrived in Durban really looking forward to the high tea that was booked for me at the oyster box hotel. I heard lots of good things about it. It did not disappoint! The service was five star as upon being seated we were immediately offered a glass of champagne. This was a high tea with a twist as the food was set out in the middle of the room and you went up and made your selection! The choice was huge and quality was excellent. At the end the resident pianist played happy birthday and I got a birthday surprise. Many of the diners were celebrating a special occasion. The hotel is on the beach and views were amazing. I would unreservedly recommend this high tea if you are in Durban, South Africa.

• Visited May 2014