“meat meat meat” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Butcher Boys Umhlanga

Butcher Boys Umhlanga
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood, Grill
Good for: Groups, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Bar Ba Coa is a celebration of the age old relationship between fire and food. Traditionally Barbacoa is a form of cooking meat over hot coals or fire and was widely practiced by the Gauchos of Argentina. Meat prepared this way is traditionally eaten with Chimichurri (chimi - chur - ri) sauce, a delicious combination of olive oil, parsley, garlic, origanum, white wine vinegar, and sweet red pepper flakes.
Durban, South Africa
“meat meat meat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I had a lovely dinner at Barbacoa in umhlanga last month with friends. Service was good and the food came out in a timely manner. Would highly recommend to all meat enthusiasts....

• Visited June 2014

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Since my first visit to this restaurant about two years ago I always stop by for dinner whenever I am in Umhlanga. I have been to Argentina many times, so this is not truly authentic Argentine dining, but it comes pretty close in their selection and the staff and food are exemplary.

I ordered my usual Carne jalapeno - a choice cut of fillet topped with chargrilled jalapeno and Cabrales blue cheese sauce. They also offer a side of chips, baked potato or side salad - but they were kind enough to give me steamed veggies instead. This evening they had a problem with their convection oven and so the preparation was taking longer than normal. Both the waitress and later the manager came to apologise about the delay, but I assured them that I was happy to wait, provided the steak and meal was done properly. Not only was the meal done to perfection, but the manager provided us with a complimentary bottle of wine that we had been drinking that evening. The steak was amazing, juicy, pink and tender that the knife just slid through covered with a mouthwatering blue cheese sauce and a hot spicy jalapeno pepper on top. This was accompanied by low carb steamed veggies on the side.

The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable about the meats and the wine selection and the entire experience was wonderful. With service like this - I cannot recommend them highly enough, and I will be back, for sure!

Thanks again for a great dinner!

• Visited July 2014
North Bend
“Nice night out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Casual atmosphere (great for taking our kids), very helpful & friendly staff with quick service, and thought the prices were very reasonable. Overall, for the price - I think the meat cuts were good. They were definitely not what you would expect for a gourmet restaurant with aged beef but then again, you would pay more for that experience. My wife enjoyed the skewers and I had the carne jalepeno which had a very nice sauce with slight bite to it. Wine/drink menu was reasonably priced.

• Visited June 2014
San Antonio, Texas
“Average to good quasi-Argentine experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Not truly Argentine, but this far from Buenos Aires (my second home) no one will know.
Very helpful and very friendly service and (manager?) was jovial and welcoming.
I thought the (light) lunch bill for 3 at 50% of the cost of an outstanding dinner in Cape Town for 7 was worth the cautionary note.
Empanadas over-baked, the pastry was in part too over cooked to eat affecting the filling.
Grilled Calamari too greasy for me, but that is something I have noticed about grilled food in general in South Africa since I arrived.
But, other dishes enjoyed by others in my small group were good. Picada type items (starter) pretty good value.
An agreeable environment.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Great steaks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Service great, the waiter helped us expertly with our food order and a complementary wine. My rump steak was tender and delicious ... the entire experience was very enjoyable.

Visited June 2014