I stayed at the City Lodge Umhlanga for two nights early July 2011. I was on a business trip and I had never visited South Africa. The booking was done through my company's travel agent so I cannot comment on that experience.
In terms of proximity to the city center, I am not really sure as I did not get the chance to visit the city but I believe it is located in between the relatively new King Shaka airport (built for the World Cup) and the city center. The location of the hotel was excellent, next to the Gateway shopping mall (which I did not have the chance to visit) and in front of several restaurants. This is convenient as I don't think the hotel has a restaurant. (If it did, I did not know where it was). I arrived late in the evening and was glad to see the room. It was clean, quite big and spacious. The bed was very comfortable and had more than sufficient pillows. The bathroom is quite fancy in that it has a shutter that affords access to the TV whilst one lounges in the tub! There were more than sufficient towels as well.
The breakfast was great and the staff at the dining area were very friendly and polite. The staff at the reception were kind to arrange taxis for me to go to my office each morning.
I had to think about a meal for only one night and the staff provide menus for restaurants around the hotel (Nandos etc) but if I were to spend more nights, I would have to venture out to one of the restaurants.
The fitness centre is nothing to brag about and very basic (one treadmill, cross trainer, cycle and a few weights). It is on the first floor and on my way back to the room on the fourth floor, I noticed several youngsters moving in and out of the hotel and sitting and chatting on the stairs. There was no problem at all and I was not quite sure if there was a banquet hall on that floor but may be better to get a room on the higher floors.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally situated next to the upmarket Gateway shopping and entertainment complex, City Lodge Umhlanga Ridge blends into the surroundings of its modern environment. Durban is just minutes away on the adjacent freeway, as is the city’s international airport. The five-storey hotel is in the heart of the new business district that has emerged in the Umhlanga area. It is also a short drive from Umhlanga’s popular promenade and beach front. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your City Lodge Hotel Umhlanga Ridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- City Lodge Umhlanga Ridge Hotel Umhlanga Rocks
- City Hotel Umhlanga Rocks