“City Lodge-the place to stay”

City Lodge Hotel Umhlanga Ridge
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I've to South Africa several times in the last 2 years. And since my trip is for 2 weeks each time, I always stay at City Lodge-Umhlanga, over the weekend. I stayed there during my Aug/Sept11 trip also, I find it an excellent place. Friendly staff & good, clean rooms. Also, since it is next to the Gateway Shopping Mall, there are great dining options for lunch & dinner.

The only issue I have is that there aren't too many TV channel options if you want to want to watch TV. The hotel chain can definitely work on that.

Room Tip: Please take a room on the which doesn't face the shopping mall.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank IBMDelhi

Reviewed 17 July 2011

I stayed at the City Lodge Umhlanga for two nights early July 2011. I was on a business trip and I had never visited South Africa. The booking was done through my company's travel agent so I cannot comment on that experience.

In terms of proximity to the city center, I am not really sure as I did not get the chance to visit the city but I believe it is located in between the relatively new King Shaka airport (built for the World Cup) and the city center. The location of the hotel was excellent, next to the Gateway shopping mall (which I did not have the chance to visit) and in front of several restaurants. This is convenient as I don't think the hotel has a restaurant. (If it did, I did not know where it was). I arrived late in the evening and was glad to see the room. It was clean, quite big and spacious. The bed was very comfortable and had more than sufficient pillows. The bathroom is quite fancy in that it has a shutter that affords access to the TV whilst one lounges in the tub! There were more than sufficient towels as well.

The breakfast was great and the staff at the dining area were very friendly and polite. The staff at the reception were kind to arrange taxis for me to go to my office each morning.

I had to think about a meal for only one night and the staff provide menus for restaurants around the hotel (Nandos etc) but if I were to spend more nights, I would have to venture out to one of the restaurants.

The fitness centre is nothing to brag about and very basic (one treadmill, cross trainer, cycle and a few weights). It is on the first floor and on my way back to the room on the fourth floor, I noticed several youngsters moving in and out of the hotel and sitting and chatting on the stairs. There was no problem at all and I was not quite sure if there was a banquet hall on that floor but may be better to get a room on the higher floors.

Room Tip: Possibly a room on the higher floors...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2011

I stayed here in Dec'10 for 2 weeks. I was on business trip and my client booked this for me. The hotel is at excellent location for a business traveler. It is bang opposite to a big shopping mall and plenty of options for dinning and fast food available. It ay be little noisy if you get front facing room but I was in a room at back side facing the pool and it was very quiet.

The room and bathroom are very good. Fair number of channels on the television and you get all what is required for a business visitor. The internet is costly but I think that's the story in SA. The morning breakfast was good and had lot of variety and the coffee they serve is one of the best I ever had.

Service & reception needs little improvement. On day one I requested to change my room from ground floor to 2nd or 3rd floor and I was flexible to to that any day in next 4-5 days. But the manager simply told me no. I was not comfortable in the room but had to make myself as there was no choice.

Overall it is a great place to stay and I would stay there again when I am in that area.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 October 2010

We were booked into the hotel by the bride whose wedding we were filming. Very conveniently situated adjacent to the large Gateway Shopping Mall. First impressions were all good with nice rooms, everything spotlessly clean. We did not use the restaurant facilities so cannot comment. Everything was fine until we returned to our room for the first night. Directly next door was a restaurant / bar playing music as loudly as possible. We could hear the music thumping away over the sound of the television. When we tried to sleep it was impossible, even with make-shift ear plugs. Hoping that it would be less noisy the following night, we decided to persevere. However, it was even louder. The hotel reception told us that they have many complaints from guests. When they raise the issue with their noisy neighbours, the music may sometimes be turned down slightly, but then quickly reverts to full volume. At midnight on the second day we were offered an alternative room but were too tired to pack up and move having worked the whole day and being very tired. What a shame that a potentially nice hotel has to unavoidably subject its guests to such thoughtless behaviour. If you are a light sleeper, give this one a miss.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 April 2010

The hotel is directly across the road from Gateway Shopping Centre in Umhlanga. If you are looking for a hotel with a seaview or on the beach, this one isnt for you. But if you are looking for a good hotel, with fair size rooms and friendly staff, this is a good option.
The only downside is that breakfast is expensive (R100 for full english).
Parking is free and secure.
The hotel doesn't offer room service but there is a restaurant at Gateway that will deliver to the hotel, menu's are in the room.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2009

This hotel was also chosen as part of the British & Irish Lions Tour of 2009. We chose this particular hotel as we had heard that down town Durban would not be that great to stay. The hotel was fine, clean and well maintained. Rooms, whilst not large were OK, nicely furnished and well appointed. Breakfast was great, and although we did not use the bar area much as there were plenty of nearby restaurants and bars to chose from. Staff were great, particularly at breakfast, and the porters couldn't have been more helpful. Only criticism would be the time that housekeeping arrive to clean the rooms, although in fairness this seems to common across the whole of South Africa and not just this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed 16 June 2009

First let me commend you on the great staff and hotel that you have in Durban town. The City Lodge there is my personal choice of hotels when I travel to KZN. The staff is friendly accommodating and understanding to your personal needs. The location of the hotel is also very appropriate.

On 12 June 2009 I checked into City Lodge Umhlanga. Little did I know that i would live to regret this. I had called in advanced (Tuesday 9 June at 12 pm) to inform the staff that I would like an early check in. I informed the receptionist that I would be there between 11:30 and 12:00 pm, and she said it would be fine. I made the mistake of not getting her name. On the 12th of June I arrived at the hotel at 11:30 after a 6 hour drive. I was greeted in a rather unfriendly manner (not the manner I am normally used to from City Lodge Town). I had informed the receptionist that i was there to check in. She informed me that they do not allow early check in. It amazes me how your staff who answered the phone on the Tuesday did not know this and told me an early check in would be fine. It also amazes me as too why a note or remark was not made next to my reservation informing them of an early check in.

Much to my disgust I was only given a room at 1pm. i had to sit in the lobby for 1.5 hours after a 6 hour drive as your staff at your hotel are incompetent. i have checked in at City Lodge Durban (Town) at 8am and 9am before, all I did was call in advance and inform them of this early check in. i understand if you may not have a room available for an early check in, I even understand if its against company policy to allow an early check in, but don't you think you should have your staff trained so they at least know some of your company policies? You are after all involved in the HOSPITALITY industry. Secondly, your hotel definitely did not look that busy to me, even if it was your staff could have cleaned a room type that i booked first and given me the room as I was waiting. It surely does not take 3 hours to clean one room (3 hours because your guest have to check out at 11am).

The next bad experience was on Sunday, while I was sleeping (at 8am) your staff member took it upon herself to causally walk into my room to clean it. Has your staff not heard of knocking? Its not that hard I assure you. Plus, do the cleaning staff not have an occupied room list so they know which rooms to clean? Should they not look at this and approach the room, knock....wait...knock...wait...and knock again to see if anyone is inside before entering? Then, about 2 hours later, while I was in the toilet, with a DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door I hear someone in my room. I get out to see that your cleaning staff (the same lady) has returned and has already opened my curtains and half dressed my bed. On asking her what she is doing she says sorry she thought the room was empty and she still wanted to enter the bathroom to clean it. i had to tell her leave!!! Once again, knocking is not hard. Try teaching them that.

I am amazed at your staff at your hotel in Umhlanga. I think this would be a great hotel (considering its location) if you fired all your staff except the porters. They were great.

I will post this review of your hotel on trip advisor for the world to see.

I will NEVER return to this hotel again.

As I had written in the guest review pamphlet in the room..."A bunch of untrained monkeys could have done a better job"

To the staff at City Lodge Durban Town...well done on the great job. The staff at Umhlanga could learn alot from them about "THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY"

Would definitly not stay here!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family