City Lodge Hotel Umhlanga Ridge
US$152
  • Pool
Protea Hotel Durban Umhlanga(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$119
Protea Hotels
  • Pool
AHA Gateway Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$101
US$111
US$93
  • Breakfast included
Royal Palm Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$85
Agoda.com
Manaar House Bed and Breakfast(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$101
Agoda.com
Garden Court Umhlanga(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$126
Orbitz.com
The Sibaya Lodge(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$265
US$251
The Oyster Box(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$425
US$356
Beverly Hills(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$436
All reviewsgateway shopping centreclub cardbit frustratingfriendly reception staffumhlanga ridgecheck in was easybreakfast menu isgreat bathroombunny chowunderground parkingvirgin active gymroom rateanother guestwater pressurecomfortable stayovernight stayawesome location
Reviewed 14 July 2009

This hotel was also chosen as part of the British & Irish Lions Tour of 2009. We chose this particular hotel as we had heard that down town Durban would not be that great to stay. The hotel was fine, clean and well maintained. Rooms, whilst not large were OK, nicely furnished and well appointed. Breakfast was great, and although we did not use the bar area much as there were plenty of nearby restaurants and bars to chose from. Staff were great, particularly at breakfast, and the porters couldn't have been more helpful. Only criticism would be the time that housekeeping arrive to clean the rooms, although in fairness this seems to common across the whole of South Africa and not just this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed 16 June 2009

First let me commend you on the great staff and hotel that you have in Durban town. The City Lodge there is my personal choice of hotels when I travel to KZN. The staff is friendly accommodating and understanding to your personal needs. The location of the hotel is also very appropriate.

On 12 June 2009 I checked into City Lodge Umhlanga. Little did I know that i would live to regret this. I had called in advanced (Tuesday 9 June at 12 pm) to inform the staff that I would like an early check in. I informed the receptionist that I would be there between 11:30 and 12:00 pm, and she said it would be fine. I made the mistake of not getting her name. On the 12th of June I arrived at the hotel at 11:30 after a 6 hour drive. I was greeted in a rather unfriendly manner (not the manner I am normally used to from City Lodge Town). I had informed the receptionist that i was there to check in. She informed me that they do not allow early check in. It amazes me how your staff who answered the phone on the Tuesday did not know this and told me an early check in would be fine. It also amazes me as too why a note or remark was not made next to my reservation informing them of an early check in.

Much to my disgust I was only given a room at 1pm. i had to sit in the lobby for 1.5 hours after a 6 hour drive as your staff at your hotel are incompetent. i have checked in at City Lodge Durban (Town) at 8am and 9am before, all I did was call in advance and inform them of this early check in. i understand if you may not have a room available for an early check in, I even understand if its against company policy to allow an early check in, but don't you think you should have your staff trained so they at least know some of your company policies? You are after all involved in the HOSPITALITY industry. Secondly, your hotel definitely did not look that busy to me, even if it was your staff could have cleaned a room type that i booked first and given me the room as I was waiting. It surely does not take 3 hours to clean one room (3 hours because your guest have to check out at 11am).

The next bad experience was on Sunday, while I was sleeping (at 8am) your staff member took it upon herself to causally walk into my room to clean it. Has your staff not heard of knocking? Its not that hard I assure you. Plus, do the cleaning staff not have an occupied room list so they know which rooms to clean? Should they not look at this and approach the room, knock....wait...knock...wait...and knock again to see if anyone is inside before entering? Then, about 2 hours later, while I was in the toilet, with a DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door I hear someone in my room. I get out to see that your cleaning staff (the same lady) has returned and has already opened my curtains and half dressed my bed. On asking her what she is doing she says sorry she thought the room was empty and she still wanted to enter the bathroom to clean it. i had to tell her leave!!! Once again, knocking is not hard. Try teaching them that.

I am amazed at your staff at your hotel in Umhlanga. I think this would be a great hotel (considering its location) if you fired all your staff except the porters. They were great.

I will post this review of your hotel on trip advisor for the world to see.

I will NEVER return to this hotel again.

As I had written in the guest review pamphlet in the room..."A bunch of untrained monkeys could have done a better job"

To the staff at City Lodge Durban Town...well done on the great job. The staff at Umhlanga could learn alot from them about "THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY"

Would definitly not stay here!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank Keegs_JHB
Reviewed 10 April 2009

Stayed one night at this hotel for business. Rooms are Ok, clean and basic. Staff is friendly, and location is just opposite a big shoppingcentre. Breakfast is ok. Overall a nice basic hotel at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2008

This hotel is good, not bad but not great either.

The Service is good, the staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are basic, not large. A key benefit is that all rooms seem to have a safe in this hotel. Something I didnt find in other City Lodges.

The location is superb for shoppers and also beachgoers will like this. South Africa's largest shopping mall (Ive heard its the largest in the Southern Hemisphere,, who can confirm?) is at its doorsteps and the beach is only 5 minutes away.

A nice feature is that the carpark costs are inclusive of the roomcosts which you dont find often.
The breakfast is OK, but I never got to the restaurant menu.. the restaurants in the area seem to offer a better and wider choice.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Will be suprised if this review is published as didn't get off to a good start - booked through Hotels.com and when arrived at hotel there was no booking. Tried contacting Hotels.com call centre (from South Africa to USA on a UK cell!) but no answer. Emailed them 3 times but no one even bothered replying. Lesson learnt.

Paid again direct with the hotel which thankfully had a room

Nice modern hotel well located close to the Gateway centre with tons of restaurants and shops.

Breakfast is a bit of a scrum but half decent.

Room is OK, wasn't cleaned after first night though.
Similar to a Travelodge in the UK

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)