“Sorry, VERY mixed Feelings!”

uMhlanga Sands Resort
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Sorry, VERY mixed Feelings!”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We normally take our timesharing at the neighbouring Cabana Beach Resort but through their temporary maintenance closure last year we re-banked our timeshare and decided on going to the Sands this month.

We were very pleasantly surprised with the service, room standards and attentiveness of the staff but had our first niggle when we went out for the day and returning after lunch we found that our room had not yet been made up . We put this down to their being busy because it was “day 1” of the time share check-in week

We had the same problem on day 2 and where by mid-afternoon we took this up with reception and were told that rooms were made up “sometime during the day, but you can put in a special request” which we though was a bit poor. When you have had a day out or have visitors coming at lunchtime it would be nice gesture if the hotel could make up the rooms a little earlier.

Just a thought: instead of saying “do not disturb” on BOTH SIDES of the sign for the door, they could possibly have “please make up my room” on one side (just like the rest of the world do!)

The Sands “boast” about their two franchised restaurants Mastro and The Spur - I appreciate that they do not manage or run them but clearly condoning or ignoring their poor standards impacts on the hotel and its reputation?

I thought that I was just being perhaps a little hasty or unfair when I decided to review the service and meals from these outlets until I researched some of the many earlier and strongly condemning reviews on this site which completely mirror my own views:

“Mastro – DO NOT EAT at this restaurant unless you want to be faced with arrogance and incompetence” (Feb 2013)

“Our experience was spoilt by the two resident restaurants and if you need a meal you have to leave the hotel” (Sept 2012)

CLEARLY NOTHING HAD CHANGED BY LAST WEEK – and this is the first time as far back as I can remember that I have actually got up and left a completely untouched “meal” on the table which I did at the Mastro restaurant.

I ordered a grilled chicken breast in a Napolitano sauce with melted cheese and mushrooms and received an obviously re-heated dry red thing with no sauce, cheese or mushrooms served by a completely incompetent and untrained “waitress” who didn’t know what is was.

When I asked her where all the missing accoutrements were she simply asked if I would like some tomato sauce to go with it…………enough said, I just left!

Matters did not improve when I went to the adjoining Spur and ordered a whisky which was brought to me in a beer mug by another poorly trained and surly waitress who quite simply didn’t understand my issue. I considered that if this restaurant couldn’t even serve a common drink in the correct glass then I most certainly wasn’t going to risk another poor experience by eating there.

I finally settled for a bar of chocolate and a soft drink that I bought at the sweet shop in the foyer and which I ate in my room - and for the rest of my stay I avoided the dining facilities at the Sands altogether and had the inconvenience of being forced to travel daily and take my meals elsewhere.

I am sorry but by turning a blind eye and apparently condoning the poor service being offered by your franchised restaurants you are avoiding your responsibility to your guests and sadly this does reflect very badly on you and what could otherwise be a lovely hotel.

We cut our stay short and we will be NOT be back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank alan j

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Durban, Kwazulu-natal, South Africa
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Can't believe I have not tried this establishment in the past. Excellent facilities & very friendly staff. My 7 year old had a blast of a time & her mum was not far behind. They utilised the pool to it's fullest & with all the kids, etc around, it made for a lovely atmosphere. Veg fare at Mastros (Bruschetta) could do with an improvement. (Bland vs Spigs)! We took a walk to what I knew as Gordon's Restaurant up the road- it's now changed to Phuket Thai! Surprisingly good fare to make me return even if the decor is a bit "dark".

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank PradeshBadal
Reviewed 6 January 2014

the resort is well placed, entertaining clean and the staff was always good with us. the beach is clean and is one of a kind. there are all amenities around and most of them was just a walking distance.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 January 2014

This is a great family hotel! We have spent almost every December here with our children, who are now adults. All the rooms have great views and crisp white sheets! We have now outgrown the 4- sleeper with 1 bathroom. We found the bathroom a little cramped and not very clean. I would prefer a shower with glass doors rather than a bath with a plastic curtain. The receptionists give great service and are very accommodating and helpful. The restaurants are good family restaurants but very under-staffed and give extremely slow and poor service.

Room Tip: A room with a step-out balcony!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Gtiger
Reviewed 5 January 2014

my first room had a nasty smell.when i reported it,they only put in an air freshener.when i complained to management,it was then pointed out that the previous occupants had also complained but it was never fixed.i threatened to call the health inspectors and only then did management take it seriously.the fridge had a dead rat in it and it was replaced but i was moved to another satisfactory room.the overall resort is fantastic but management needs to do more.the activities for children are great,the swimming pool is inviting and the beach is absolutely stunning

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Haroun M
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Excellent all round. Very conveniently situated to airport, Gateway shopping mall. Very safe.
Beautiful and safe beaches. Heated swimming pools a bargain on those slightly nippy days or late afternoon. Fantastic restaurants at hotel and surrounding area. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Federal Way, Washington
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Fantastic facility on Indian Ocean. We had a family self catering (kitchenette) room. Lots of closet space, great amenities. Facility was very modern, well appointed and maintained. Staff very helpful. Rooms overlook beach area. Laundry available on site. Recommend for couple / family vacation. Never an issue with safety or feeling uncomfortable.

Room was split into three areas; master ocean facing queen bed, desk and sitting table; kitchen bath and smaller bedroom with two twin beds. Entrance through this area. In room safe provided. Television and phone.

On-site parking is somewhat limited and spaces are really tight. Enjoyed our stay - recommend.

Room Tip: Spurs restaurant seemed to have better food value and service. Downtown mall area has great restaur...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple