“good and bad”

uMhlanga Sands Resort
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Started our stay in room 144. Faulty safe was reported, but not fixed. Plumbing
disaster - bubble bath from somewhere else drained out through our toilets - absolute mess - was cleaned and we were moved to a room where everything worked and we had a pleasant stay further.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Best service ive ever received at any hotel ive ever stayed at. Very friendly staff and always willing to assist. You guys were awesome and Mr. Vivian keep up the awesome work you do for your guests. Thank you!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Great service and great value. Our room was serviced daily and always neat and tidy. The air conditioner makes a huge difference in the hot summer days. The staff were always friendly and eager to please, no matter the request. This is why we own property at Umhlanga Sands.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Guillaume J
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Excellent resort with family activities at the pool side. Beautiful sea views from the rooms. The bring and braai is an ideal opportunity to socialize with other guests.

Easy access to the beach with a well lit up path way at night. Secure and safe environment for the family.

Rooms are cleaned on a daily basis and the staff is friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 February 2014

cabana beach kills umhlanga sands never do it

we were told its self catering there was only a fridge and a microwave the bathroom walls were dirty cockroaches running at night in the kitchen was terrible no free soap or shampoo we had to buy madness

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Magdalena W
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We normally take our timesharing at the neighbouring Cabana Beach Resort but through their temporary maintenance closure last year we re-banked our timeshare and decided on going to the Sands this month.

We were very pleasantly surprised with the service, room standards and attentiveness of the staff but had our first niggle when we went out for the day and returning after lunch we found that our room had not yet been made up . We put this down to their being busy because it was “day 1” of the time share check-in week

We had the same problem on day 2 and where by mid-afternoon we took this up with reception and were told that rooms were made up “sometime during the day, but you can put in a special request” which we though was a bit poor. When you have had a day out or have visitors coming at lunchtime it would be nice gesture if the hotel could make up the rooms a little earlier.

Just a thought: instead of saying “do not disturb” on BOTH SIDES of the sign for the door, they could possibly have “please make up my room” on one side (just like the rest of the world do!)

The Sands “boast” about their two franchised restaurants Mastro and The Spur - I appreciate that they do not manage or run them but clearly condoning or ignoring their poor standards impacts on the hotel and its reputation?

I thought that I was just being perhaps a little hasty or unfair when I decided to review the service and meals from these outlets until I researched some of the many earlier and strongly condemning reviews on this site which completely mirror my own views:

“Mastro – DO NOT EAT at this restaurant unless you want to be faced with arrogance and incompetence” (Feb 2013)

“Our experience was spoilt by the two resident restaurants and if you need a meal you have to leave the hotel” (Sept 2012)

CLEARLY NOTHING HAD CHANGED BY LAST WEEK – and this is the first time as far back as I can remember that I have actually got up and left a completely untouched “meal” on the table which I did at the Mastro restaurant.

I ordered a grilled chicken breast in a Napolitano sauce with melted cheese and mushrooms and received an obviously re-heated dry red thing with no sauce, cheese or mushrooms served by a completely incompetent and untrained “waitress” who didn’t know what is was.

When I asked her where all the missing accoutrements were she simply asked if I would like some tomato sauce to go with it…………enough said, I just left!

Matters did not improve when I went to the adjoining Spur and ordered a whisky which was brought to me in a beer mug by another poorly trained and surly waitress who quite simply didn’t understand my issue. I considered that if this restaurant couldn’t even serve a common drink in the correct glass then I most certainly wasn’t going to risk another poor experience by eating there.

I finally settled for a bar of chocolate and a soft drink that I bought at the sweet shop in the foyer and which I ate in my room - and for the rest of my stay I avoided the dining facilities at the Sands altogether and had the inconvenience of being forced to travel daily and take my meals elsewhere.

I am sorry but by turning a blind eye and apparently condoning the poor service being offered by your franchised restaurants you are avoiding your responsibility to your guests and sadly this does reflect very badly on you and what could otherwise be a lovely hotel.

We cut our stay short and we will be NOT be back!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank alan j
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Can't believe I have not tried this establishment in the past. Excellent facilities & very friendly staff. My 7 year old had a blast of a time & her mum was not far behind. They utilised the pool to it's fullest & with all the kids, etc around, it made for a lovely atmosphere. Veg fare at Mastros (Bruschetta) could do with an improvement. (Bland vs Spigs)! We took a walk to what I knew as Gordon's Restaurant up the road- it's now changed to Phuket Thai! Surprisingly good fare to make me return even if the decor is a bit "dark".

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family