“I'll definitely be back” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lavender Moon

Lavender Moon
Ranked #16 of 43 Umhlanga Rocks B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“I'll definitely be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I had a wonderful 2 nights stay here while in Durban for work. It has a lovely relaxed atmosphere that allows you to unwind, and was the best 2 nights sleep I have had in weeks.

The breakfast is also amazing! My first morning there I was surprised with a breakfast burger, which tastes even better than it sounds!

Maria and her staff are also incredibly welcoming and helpful, and their personal touches and friendly manor helps round off a great stay.

This will definitely be my preferred accommodation when in Durban in future.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank David_Hobson_ZA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Telford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I along with our 4 children (ages 18,10,5,2) recently visited South Africa from Philadelphia and spent 18 nights at a Viletta. I searched for accommodation for several months and spoke to several people but just couldn't find something that totally suited our needs. I was a bit apprehensive about staying at a B&B with the children but after speaking to Maria on the phone I felt at ease and confident that a Viletta was going to be able to meet our needs.

Maria and her staff were just amazing during our entire stay. We loved the morning breakfasts on the balcony overlooking the ocean. It was a beautiful setting matched with a great breakfast every morning. Maria was very attentive to any request we had and did whatever she could to make our stay more comfortable. We felt like we were being hosted by family as opposed to staying at a B&B. My kids loved Maria and the staff and still speak of them weeks after our return.

We highly recommend a Viletta for your next stay. Its close to many great attractions for the entire family, great restaurants and malls close by as well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Guest House is located in the magnificent Umhlanga Ridge with a great view of the ocean. The price is very reasonable considering the large and comfortable rooms and the scrumptious breakfast. Better still, La Lucia and Umhlanga are just 3 minutes away.

Room Tip: I like room 2 & 3.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

I'd say this little place is comfortable but not outstanding as the few reviews on here led me to believe (appreciate we all have different views).

Maria was unbelievably brilliant on booking and liaising with me before arrival, though sadly away when I was there so we didn't meet in person. I have no doubt her hospitality is 2nd to none.

The room I was in was pretty small though as I was travelling alone and only there 2 nights not a problem. In my view a few small touches would have made all the difference - cushion covers on the cushions on bed for example rather than just the bare cushion, and nice firm pillows - the pillows looked old to me and were very flimsy.

Note it's quite a hike into town if you want to walk (worse on way back up as all uphill) down a massive road, which I hadn't quite understood before booking. Another touch which would have helped was to have had maps for guests, and info on where to find tourist office. It may have been because Maria was away but nothing like this was available.

Breakfast good.

Think this place has fab potential but prob wouldnt stay again.

• Stayed December 2013
Pardes Hannah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Search high and low, and you will find it hard to match the high standards of this modest guest house, and the treatment that you get.

Let's take it one by one:

Internet connection: the secured WiFi works flawlessly. It was much better than the connectivity that we had at the office we worked with.

Room: comfortable beds, a safe, a view to the ocean, roomy closet and a spotless modern bathroom. You also get your own kettle, with an assortment of coffee and tea, and your own fridge.

Food: the breakfast is very nice, and Maria the landlady is asking for your requests and does her best to have them met. Would you like some fish with an omelet? You will get creamed salmon with a hefty juicy omelet to accompany it.

Hosting: the landlady Maria has the sole of a true hostess. You very quickly understand that for her you are not just a guest - you are first and foremost a person. She will treat you with great respect, and will go out of her way to keep you satisfied. And it is clear that she does not do it out of business thinking, but simply because this is who she is.

If I am ever back to Durban, I will be sure to take upon Maria's hospitality once again.

Sheer pleasure.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

Perfect place to stay in this area.
The rooms are large and has new furniture. The breakfast was outstanding, each morning Maria and her staff prepared something different and the considered our wishes.
The location is great, short way to the entertainment area with restaurants and bars.
Should I come back to the Durban area, I stay at the same place; No question!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

Easy to reach from the airport and situated in a quiet area of Umhlanga Rocks.It is a great place if you want to go for a lovely stroll about or a walk down to the beach. There are many local amenities nearby and the business district is not far from here. For a traveller who wants peace and quiet, Viletta Guest House is your place.

The guest house is decorated to a very high standard and it has a five star feel about it. It is immaculate, warm and welcoming. One of the highlights is breakfast; something different on the menu everyday and you can tell that time and passion was put into preparing it. It tastes even better when served on the balcony facing the sea.

All the rooms have WIFI access and my room had a good size fridge and air-condition which is a plus when the weather is very hot.

The hostess makes you feel special. She is warm and professional but flexible at the same time and extremely helpful . She strives to make sure everyone is comfortable and welcomes all requests with a smile.
Her service is excellent with a personal touch.

The place was so impressive that I invited family and friends staying at hotels in the city centre to come over. The hostess prepared a brunch for 10 guests without any problems and everyone had a good time. All wanted to come and stay at a'Viletta next time they are in Durban.

It offered good security for the cars as well as in the rooms, with a safe for valuables in each room.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms offer scenic veiws
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family