“Definitely NOT a 4 star guest house”

Bentley on the Beach
Ranked #32 of 43 Umhlanga Rocks B&B and Inns
Pretoria, South Africa
“Definitely NOT a 4 star guest house”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Bently on the beach: To be honest, the photo's published for this guest house is NOT a true refection of the guest house. How they can advertise this as a 4 star guest house, I REALLY DO NOT KNOW. It is disappointing as I was really hoping for something FAR better. The location is super. The service from Samantha, brilliant. LOVE the view BUT for the rest, diningroom, kitchen and the room, it is filthy and dirty and in need of maintenance! The smell of the bathroom, really jiggie. It is such a pitty because, I really do not mind to pay top dollar but, the place must be atleast clean! Will I stay at Bentleys again, I doudt it!

Room Tip: IF you dont mind a filthy please, but a great location, then maybe....
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank PESTANCH
Bentley on the ... H, Owner at Bentley on the Beach, responded to this review, 26 October 2014
I do wish people would identify themselves so we can see which room they are referring to.
We have so many regular returning guests - in fact our business is based on goodwill!. We have a very high occupancy with only about 1% of people who stay with us writing a review,
We apologies for his unhappy stay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Pretoria, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

This is an absolute hell hole. Do not be fooled by the pictures. Does NOT come anywhere near being a 4* establishment. Diningroom, kitchen and scullery all in one (Filthy dirty and all appliances in a shocking state of repair). Really feel sorry for Samantha, the manageress, who is forced to take the front line flack. Fortunately managed to find genuine 4* and 5* alternative accommodation. I know that I have read bad reports on this establishment posted on Tripadvisor by other travelers however I felt that we should give the benefit of the doubt, I was totally wrong in taking this approach. For those fellow travelers considering to make use of this so called 4* establishment - BE WARNED, stay away unless you are prepared to pay 4* rates for Zero * rating. If my fellow travelers are accustomed to 4&5* establishments and seek to continue staying in 4&5* establishments do NOT even consider this place. The best experience about Bentley on the Beach was getting into my car an leaving.

3 Thank JustMyOpinion2014
I suppose one must anticipate the occasional complaint even if I feel this is misguided. We have had mainly positive revues with about 1% negative reviews. We do listen to every word that is said and improve wherever we can.
Our position is as close to the beach as one can get, our views are like Mauritius, Lawn, palm trees, white sand and blue ocean. Our rooms are large spacious and elegant. In September 2014 we completely revamped the entire Guest House So everything is looking fresh and bright, All of the bedrooms have a new look and feel and even the foyer and dining room have had a face-lift.. The Exterior is sparkling white and shows off the blue rim-flow pool. The Pool-Deck has also been re furbished..

Travellers are raving about these Umhlanga Rocks hotels

Preverenges, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Just came back from a wonderful time in South Africa, including Durban. Betley's satisfied us, though some improvement needs to happen in the budget suites.

What we liked:
1. Staff: always helpful
2. The pool: our girls could swim safely in the little backyard in-ground pool oasis.
3. The BBQ and cabana: We grilled our own steaks and chicken on the grill and enjoyed the cabana area poolside at night to eat.

What needs improving:
1. The billiard table by the pool: it was fun for my girls to use, but in laughable condition with lousy cue sticks.
2. A coat of paint in the budget rooms?

Look Out!
1. This is not a beach for children or the faint of heart: the world's best surfers don't come from Durban without good reason!
2. Small airport nearby: the palm trees, the small planes and the helicopters add to the war zone feel!

Check out:
1. uShaka waterworld and seaworld!
2. Gateway Mall
3. La Lucia Mall across the highway with restaurants. My wife got her nails done at a nice price!

Overall: We enjoyed our stay!

Budget is Budget!

Room Tip: If you want "budget" choose the corner room on the ground floor that backs onto the pool...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Sorry but you did not slay at Bentley on the Beach, which is a 4 star-graded Guest House and was completely revamped in September 2014 the entire Guest House was refurbished. So everything is looking fresh and bright, All of the bedrooms have a new look and feel and even the foyer and dining room have had a face-lift.. The Exterior is sparkling white and shows off the blue rim-flow pool. The Pool-Deck has also been re furbished.

You probable stayed next door at the Budget B&B.
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Bentley on the Beach! This wasn't the 1st time I stayed with you guys and I am a completely satisfied with your service! So coming back is always an option. The weather was absolutely beautiful all weekend long, as was the service that went along with everything. We enjoyed every second of it! Falling asleep to the sound of the ocean and waking up to it was breathtaking! Thank you Sam and team!! Keep it up!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Leasle, Thank you so much for the positive and charming review.. We also look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Durban.

Regards,

Shirley
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Looking at reviews from Easter 2013, I see nothing has changed in a year.

My husband and I booked into the budget option at Bentley on the Beach for the Easter weekend (18 - 21 April 2014), while my sister and her family booked into the Bentley on the Beach luxury option. We paid in full upfront, believing that we were going to be staying at a wonderful 4 star accomodation. It was never mentioned that the budget option is not part of the 4 star luxury B&B (this I have gleaned from reading the other reviews and responses). We got into the festive spirit early on Friday morning, as we were looking forward to a weekend away by the seaside.

The elation of being on holiday quickly turned sour when we walked into the reception area. The place is in a state of disrepair. There are cables hanging everywhere, everything runs off extension cords. Upon being shown to our rooms, there is a horrible musty smell throughout the building. The rooms looked dirty, and were not nice at all. The showers where filthy with black mould, clearly have not been cleaned for years. The pictures provided to Tripadvisor as well as on their website are very misleading as neither the expensive or the cheap option look anything like that.

The conditions are not liveable. We (both my family and my sisters family) asked to speak to the manager about a refund. The owner appeared and after much arguing first agreed to only refund 75% of our money. Later she tried to change this to 50%. I feel we deserved a full refund, having stood in the B&B for 15 min.

The owners made no effort at all to make us feel better. It was a case of "if you don't like it, you can leave. Its not our problem"

Needless to say, neither the "luxury" or the "budget" option deserve ANY stars at all. This needs to be reviewed by the board that gave this place its stars.

4 Thank PrebaC
Bentley on the ... H, Owner at Bentley on the Beach, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
INTOXICATED GUEST CONVENIENTLY FINDS FAULT : COMPLAINS ABOUT STANDARDS WITHOUT EVEN SEEING THE SPACIOUS AND WELL APPOINTED BEACHFONT SUITE HE BOOKED.

We invariably avoid confrontations as we abide by the golden rule that “ the guest is always right”. In this remarkable instance we feel the need to respond : Bentley is a comfortable 4 star graded establishment. Budget Beach B&B is a totally separate establishment and is not graded. We have never experienced this ‘confusion’ which the guest claims but will endeavour to clear up that possible misunderstanding in future. Regarding the standards of accommodation , we have an extensive list of returning guests who are well travelled and most discerning….many overseas visitors regularly report favourably on Trip Advisor. Bentley also enjoys a high occupancy based particularly on recommendations from senior management of major companies. We understand that it is impossible to satisfy everyone all of the time. A complaint that sometimes arises is that arriving guests do not want the quiet seclusion of our ‘private beach’ , preferring the noisier holiday atmosphere and could perhaps seek fault to justify cancellation. That was our summation as these guests were clearly intoxicated and reacted with unnecessary abuse (camera evidence) so we calmly advised him that it was in the interests of harmonious relations to terminate the booking. We refunded him immediately 75% of the total amount for the group. We assure potential visitors that our 4 Star Grading is stringently and regularly checked by South Africa’s Tourism Authorities.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Thank you Sam for your warm reception. I decided to stay in the budget room since it offered everything I needed (a comfortable bed and a shower) but got a lot more! Lovely pool, a gas weber for me to braai my own steak (I hate hotels and restaurants) and a casual wander across the road onto the beach to sit and stare at the waves and the boats passing me by.

The next morning, a cup of coffee, and I was on the free WiFi catching up on my email waiting for breakfast. Ready to go!

Quick and easy access to Umhlanga's bright lights and highway, close to the airport and Durban. I really couldn't ask for much more. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Room 4 has a huge bath and a shower. Luxury. Not sure what the other beds are like, but mine had 6 p...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Bentley on the ... H, Owner at Bentley on the Beach, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
We so appreciate the time you took to write this positive review and are delighted to hear that you will ne returning. We promise to make your next stay equally enjoyable. Regards,
shirley
Pretoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

So enjoyed my stay, the view is spectacular and at night you are lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves breaking on the beach. So much nicer than a busy hotel after a hard day of work!!! Friendly service and polite well trained staff, thanks for a nice stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Bentley on the ... H, Owner at Bentley on the Beach, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
I know how busy you are and appreciate you taking the time to write this positive revue. We enjoyed having you stay with us and look forward to your return.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Umhlanga Rocks
#2 of 43 in Umhlanga Rocks
Tesorino B&B
Tesorino B&B
#11 of 43 in Umhlanga Rocks

Been to Bentley on the Beach? Share your experiences!