The Oyster Box
Royal Palm Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$211
US$93
US$95
US$91
Good 3.5/5
AHA Gateway Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$106
Very Good 4/5
Garden Court Umhlanga(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$136
Great 4.5/5
US$179
US$174
Good 3.5/5
  • Pool
Protea Hotel Durban Umhlanga(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$132
  • Pool
Beverly Hills(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$408
Great 4.5/5
The Sibaya Lodge(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$106
Excellent 5/5
Breakers Resort(Umhlanga Rocks)
TripAdvisor
2,072 results
All reviewscurry buffetthe grilllighthouse barhigh teaoysterswayne coetzerocean terrace restaurantoyster barresident catgarden villaattention to detailour waitersea facing roomcolonial styleindian oceanbucket listtreated like royalty
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 April 2011

What more to ask for than a place that takes your breath away it’s so stunning and gives you a new breath of relaxation. The decor is to die for. The antiques mixed in modern style. The view of the ocean and old lighthouse - phenomenal and mystic. Every detail designed to encourage the bliss of peace and pleasure of riches. The food - yet another absolute divine experience. A must for everyone!

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Have wanted to stay at this hotel since last november.Paid Rand3750 pn.Booked in for 4 nights as special treat.Transfer driver arrived 30 minutes late at airport

Tiny room 302.....not worth R3750.Husband scratched all night.In morning found fleas in the bed!Complained to management and they assured me room was *treated* and all ok.At 7pm whilst changing for dinner found fleas and ants in room!!Complained again.Moved to room 202.Better furnished but floor -white tiles filthy and more ants.Complained to manager again.......no offer to move us so checked out.They did knock 1 night off the bill and transferred us to Durban hotel free of charge.
On a positive note the curry buffet was fantastic and restaurant staff very sweet.Also fantastic breakfasts.
In rush to escape we left 2 phone chargers,a bottle of perfume and a pair of sunglasses in the original room.When we rang there was no trace of them.Never again!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
12  Thank LynnieCapeTown
wayne020, Public Relations Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Reviewed 14 April 2011

Second weekend break in Umhlanga, the first having been spent at the excellent Beverly Hills Hotel, right next door to the Oyster Box. For a change, I thought I'd stay at the Oyster Box. Let me make myself clear, I did not stay at the Oyster Box. Read on.....when booking a room online, I was prompted to reply as to whether or not I was a South African resident. The reason? If you are South African (I am not), you get a cheaper room rate. Unbelievable! Discrimination in a 5 Star hotel. I thought double pricing was a thing of the past. I checked into the Beverly Hills at half the price of the Oyster Box, equally as nice albeit it much quieter.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Malim27
Reviewed 11 April 2011

this is my first time writign a review on tripadvisor but i thought the staff at the oysterb box was so phenomanal that i had to thank them publicly. first of all, the location is incredible. 2nd, the facilities are amazing. 3rd. the staff/service particularly benjamin at the front desk are just great. i would say if you are going to south africa and have a free weekend, skip capetown and head straight to the oyster box in umhlanga. you will not regret it. thank you benjamin and the oyster box for the most amazing stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Had a great stay at the Oyster Box. Wonderful sea facing room. Small plumbing issue when we arrived which was dealt with immediately while we were at dinner.
The pool was really a slice of heaven, and to see the dolphins going by was a real treat. Spotlessly clean, sunblock on offer at the poolside bar.
Meals were excellent, we had breakfast, a lunch and dinner, service was prompt and courteous.
Our only complaint was a very long wait for dinner at the grill room, about a 2 hour wait. They had a huge party but only really managed to bring things out when we cancelled our entrees and gave us a free dessert for the inconvenience.
I must say though, that the staff were outstanding and I must make special mention to Eric who made every effort to make our stay memorable and to Tyron who went above and beyond in exchanging our vehicle which was only blowing heat in 30 degree weather.
Thanks for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends