“A wonderful, relaxing weekend and treated like royalty!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Oyster Box

The Oyster Box
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Durban, South Africa
“A wonderful, relaxing weekend and treated like royalty!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

From the moment we arrived we were were made to feel welcome. Wayne and his PA were very welcoming and all the staff from the doorman, the front desk to the dining hall addressed us by name which makes one feel very special. Benjamin was very helpful and polite and like all the staff we interacted with, is a credit to the Hotel. Very well done to all at the Oyster Box and THANK YOU for an amazing weekend!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2011

I stayed for 4 nights with my husband and daughter. The rooms with Sea View are obviously the best but we were in a duplex villa by the Spa?pool and it was very comfortable and spacious for us and our nanny. I would definitely recommend booking one of those if you are traveling with children . it sleeps up to 4 . Food was great and service excellent. The only thing we never managed to figure out was the light switches at night. It seemed one master controlled everything which was an issue because while nanny and baby were sleeping we could not turn on any of the lights upstairs. :-(

Great amenities and a fantastic Curry buffet!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2011

I am not going to mince my words - I am no good at mincing and will leave that technique to gifted chef, Kevin Joseph - but when I die, skip right past heaven and deliver me to The Oyster Box.

From start to finish, we were treated like royalty - only better. In all my years I have yet to come across such a willing staff - prepared to do just about anything to please their clients. And so knowledgable - it's as though their training included a seven year degree on How To Be Nice.

The food alone - particularly their glorious curry buffet - sent me into a state of heightened awareness. As for their buffet breakfast - served as God intended: with oysters. Nothing takes a girl from zero to hero in as quick a time as a plate full of scrambled eggs with truffle oil and oysters.

The rooms are impeccably decorated - each in a unique style that translates superbly. If I could, I'd even give part of my liver and right eye to have stayed in The Buthelezi Suite. But was certainly not disappointed by the pool-side villa in which we stayed. With a private splash pool! To myself! Amen, sister!

I cannot sing my praises loud enough. I've yet to have a holiday that has left me feeling quite so refreshed. In fact, I'm prepared to do just about anything - perhaps even sell off the kids - to get back there in a hurry.

Room Tip: It's hard to decide - all rooms stunning.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Pantaholic
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

This hotel gets 10/10 for everything. We stayed during the busy Easter weekend it was expensive but so good it was worth every penny . Staff go above and beyond, food from the breakfast to high tea to the curry buffet of a very high-standard. Spa good location good I cannot fault a thing. Well done oyster box I have stayed in many 5 star hotels across the world and the oyster box surpasses all of them!

• Stayed April 2011
Basingstoke, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

The location of the Oyster Box is simply stunning. The hotel has a very english feel and is very charming but we thought it was very expensive for what it offered and you're clearly paying for the location. This hotel was the biggest disappointment of our whole 3 week trip as it was very formal. Dont get me wrong it is lovely and charming and the breakfast was great but £10 for two gin and tonics is a bit steep although the Spa was great value. We didnt eat evening meal in the hotel but went up the road where there are some lovely restaurants. We would recommend this hotel but be aware of the costs.

2 Thank KathMacca
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

I have been to this magnificent hotel numerous occasions now, I would like to commend the staff on their flawless service.
The dining experience in the Grill Room is second to none, the view from the terrace is magnificent and the atmosphere in the Lighthouse Bar is first class!

The only problem I had was that I should have stayed longer..

St Peter Port
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

We had the fortunate chance to stay at the Oyster Box Hotel a couple of months ago. This is truelly an amazing hotel with so much care and personal service I would invite everyone to visit.

The highlight of our stay was using the restaurants and bars over the three nights. We dined in the Grill room which was fantastic, the sommelier and Elvis the waiter were outstanding. Every morning we would make our way down for the wonderful breakfasts which were included in the rate. This included oysters, champagne, continental and hot selection. For our lunches we had the curry buffet and pizza's around the pool as well as sipping cocktails in the Lighthouse bar which has amazing views. All our meals were delicious and I must thank the entire kitchen for all the amazing food and the restaurant team's for looking after us so well.

All this was further enhanced by the wonderful service around the rest of the hotel and shows that some hotels do get it right all the time.

Travelling with a toddler is never easy but with the childrens play room we could leave him in the capable hands of trained staff and enjoy relaxing around the pool.

The room rate was around £325 per night in a seaview room which was very well decorated but a touch small.

Thank you to all the wonderful staff and we look forward to visiting next year again.

Room Tip: Book direct through reservations.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with family