“Great experience in fantastic location!”
Review of The Oyster Box

The Oyster Box
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed 27 February 2012

The Oysterbox is really the best hotel in Durban. We spent two nights in mid February 2012. The hotel has got a fantastic look, location and touch. The people working there are so friendly and nice that they did not know what they could do to please us.
We had a family suite with two rooms. This is the only part we did not like. The room was very small and we could hardly open our suitcase when in the room. We had three suitcases.....
Great pool, great breakfast, great drinks - everything was great!
It is located right on the beach and has got a fantastic view towards Durban city center and the football stadium.
We would definately go back if we returned to Durban!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

I am delighted you enjoyed so many aspects of this beautiful Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Wayne Coetzer

Write a ReviewReviews (2,007)

Reviewed 24 February 2012

I know this hotel intimately as I lived nearby and have had family stay there as well as have stayed myself on one occasion. Beautiful views, Superb food in the Grill room and the nicest hotel staff that you could find anywhere in the world. The spa rivals the spas at some of the best places in the world. The manager is first class and has really done a good job with the place. The staff really look after their guests. Great for business and great for family. I've stayed at the very best hotels in London New York and Dubai and I would rate it ahead of most.

Room Tip: Sea facing will take your breath away!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank luxuryreviewer1

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review.

I am delighted you enjoyed so many aspects of this beautiful Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Brilliant hotel. Not only in its quality and warmth of service, which is extreme, but in its coherent style, intricate design and glorious theme. If some hotels are like simple boxes, and others like fine cabinets, this one is like a jewel-encrusted sea chest carved from ancient Indian hardwood and filled with a hoard of stolen treasures from faroff lands. Expect staff in Indian jackets and doormen in pith helmets. Expect weaver birds singing in the humid evening. Expect light and sea air to flood your crisp white and seashell room when you open the shutters in the morning. Expect luxury and elegance with more than a hint of sultry summer nights and guilty colonial charm. If you told me this was the best hotel in the world, I'd raise my gin and tonic to that.

• Stayed: February 2012
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review.

I am delighted you enjoyed so many aspects of the Hotel.

Kind regards

Reviewed 9 February 2012

We visited the Hotel with family & friends for a dinner & a commemorative get together. Unfortunately we were not able to stay over but this is definitely on my list of "must do's in 2012"
The ambiance, location & level of service were exceptional!
We had sundowner drinks on the upper terrace with a magnificent view over the Umhlanga Lighthouse, the Bluff & the Indian Ocean with the glittering lights of about 30 ships waiting in the roads to enter the harbour.
We had dinner in the curry buffet restaurant which was superb. The staff dealt very well with a table of over 20 diners & we all sampled our way through a glorious array of different spicy dishes with all the accompaniments. The buffet was kept fresh & well replenished & the chefs on duty were knowledgable & personable.
Well recommended & certainly to be revisited!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your reply. Delighted you enjoyed your Oyster Box experience in The Ocean Terrace and Lighthouse Bar.
We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

The Oyster Box Hotel

We felt incredibly welcome from the moment we arrived and the porters with their colonial hats greeted us with the biggest smiles.

This must be Umhlanga's most stunning hotel… with breathtaking views of the Indian Ocean... and the blue just carries on and on...
We were lucky enough to spot some dolphins from the loungers at the ocean-facing pool.

We stayed in a lovely sea-facing room - oh and I never wanted to leave...
Everything was immaculately clean and cozy (thank goodness for the aircon).
My hubby got a bee in his bonnet, so we got up early and watched the sunrise (highly recommend it) over the Indian Ocean... stunning!

Our package included a spa treatment (it was sooo good I went back for more)
and High Tea (this satisfied my hubby's sweet tooth) but go hungry as everything is scrumptious!

We only have good things to say about our stay… the staff were ‘on the ball’… you need something, it magically appears!
The food, service and scenery - all exceeded our expectations... and we look forward to our anniversary visit!!!

Sincerely
Elizabeth and Damon Drew

Room Tip: South Africans pay reduced rates - enquire with their bookings people
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay which included our famous High Tea offering scrumptious fare and service.
We look forward to welcoming you back again for another Oyster Box experience.

Reviewed 30 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at OBH in December 2011. During this stay I complained about the shutters in the room letting in the light and being woken up at 5.30am every morning! The problem was "rectified" by providing us with eye masks that would have fit a 2 year old - we could not use them. This solution was completely inadequate and no other solution was offered.
The waiter service in the Terrace restaurant was also not on par with a 5 star property - having to request napkins numerous times and waiting over an hour for our food on the last evening of our stay.
The housekeeping staff and the Grill Room (both staff and food) were fantastic - especially Angel in the Grill Room - what a superstar - true 5 star service from them.
Overall I was disappointed in the hotel and no-one mentions the shutters either in Trip Advisor or the hotel website. Has anyone else had this problem?
I have been fortunate to stay is some truly amazing 5 star hotels in other countries and have to say that I feel the OBH is too inconsistent for a proper 5 star rating.

Room Tip: Sea facing room but be warned of a very early awakening!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debivw
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I recently visited Durban on buisness my first time in Natal, and a friend recommended I take a look at the Oyster Box. After taking up this suggestion I can honestly say as well travelled person it has to be well up my list if not top in terms of service, surrounds and standards.

The food was simply fantastic in particular the curry buffet, having spent time in India on numerous occasions I can honestly say I would rate the currys as one of the best two curriy's I have ever eaten.

Service from the staff was impecible and it seemed there was nothing they would nt do to improve my stay.

Decor classique, elegant yet not over powering.

I had a number of buisness meeting while at the Oyster Box and I think I can say it definetly propelled the image and standards of myself and that of my buisness in the minds of what will be my company's new relationships in South Africa.

Overall my visit was tremendous and I can honestly say the Oyster Box is sublime, I will be advising all of my visitors and clients that will be visiting my new buisness in South Africa and that it is the only place to stay and is a must. What a great vision of Durban it portrays,

My thanks go out to the staff that my visit oh so such a pleasure.

Regards
Phil

Room Tip: Amazing veiw from any sea facing room, stunning
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
I am delighted that you so enjoyed all aspects of The Oyster Box from the decor to the food and service on your business visit.
We look forward to being able to spoil you on your next visit to our special hotel.