The Oyster Box
US$154
Protea Hotels
  • Pool
Protea Hotel Durban Umhlanga(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$118
Hotels.com
  • Pool
AHA Gateway Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$125
US$100
Agoda.com
Royal Palm Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$84
US$110
US$94
  • Breakfast included
Teremok Marine(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$318
City Lodge Hotel Umhlanga Ridge(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$135
US$118
Agoda.com
The Sibaya Lodge(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$252
Agoda.com
Garden Court Umhlanga(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$125
Orbitz.com
Beverly Hills(Umhlanga Rocks)
2,097 results
All reviewscurry buffetthe grilllighthouse barhigh teaoysterswayne coetzerocean terrace restaurantoyster barresident catgarden villaattention to detailour waitersea facing roomcolonial styleindian oceanbucket listtreated like royalty
Reviewed 16 April 2013

The location on the beach front is stunning and the newly refurbished hotel is beautiful. But for two reasons I can not give a top rating:
1. The "luxury sea facing room" was very small and not very well equipped with only one chair, minimal wardrobe space and no space to put away suitcases. However, the bathroom was both nice and big. The balcony size was also fine with OK furniture.
2. The restaurant service is friendly, but not very professional. Even with plenty of staff it gets a little bit chaotic and very long waiting times (also by South African standards) must be expected.
Food selection and quality was excellent.
Even with those shortcomings I do not hesitate to recommend the hotel, and I am sure we will return sooner or later.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your stay at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the selection and quality of the food, together with the friendliness of the staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 April 2013

We needed a family break and booked into the OB. we've been there before for meals and drinks but always preferred to stay the Beverly Hills next door instead. we knew about its legendary service and food and expected the same - we were not disappointed. the food was great, the people fantastic and extreamly detailed in remembering our names and preferences. The family room, was most likely the smallest room I've stayed in SA. I have stayed in small rooms in Denmark and Sweden for the same amount of money, but i expected more of a 5 Star SA hotel. the room was pleasant and had more than we required, so i'm not really complaining.

Room Tip: we had room 115, which was split into 2 for a bunk bed section for the kids
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback following your stay at The Oyster Box.

Naturally, I am absolutely delighted to hear that you were completely blown away by the service and friendliness of the staff who are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wishing to return.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

Recently spent 2nights at this beautiful hotel overlooking the Indian Ocean . The food was delicious attention to detail faultless . Staff friendly and attentive all in all a wonderful experience . The curry buffet was fantastic best curries I've tasted in a long time . The room was nicely appointed everything was there you'd possibly need . I hope to return to this lovely spot

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2013

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your two night stay, in particular the delicious food with attention to detail which includes the exceptional Curry Buffet, the accommodation and the friendliness of the staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Went to OB on our trip to Durban. Classy. Ambience, Service and faultless food. The chef's amazing. Obviously talented with flavours, the food was as good as anything we've ever eaten. Would like to see some more creativity on the seafood though. We will go back the next time we visit Durban. Bottomline - expensive but worth every penny.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent visit to The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the experience, in particular the restaurants and my Chefs' delicious cuisine.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

We've held a function there, been to other functions and even stayed a night for an anniversary. The service has improved with time, but is not always impressive and can be quite poor. The rooms are adequate, but not wonderful and they have the most noisy sheets. Kept us awake with their rustling. Not helped by the alarm clock that went off at 4am!! Beautifully decorated, but relying on its brand which creates more hype than they can deliver on. If they were less pretentious, they might impress more as they do not do anything wrong, just don't fulfill ones overinflated expectations.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
It was so disappointing to read you did not enjoy your stay with us. I did try and locate your booking details so that I could personally phone you as I was interested to know specifically where we under delivered. However I could not locate your booking. We have so many fantastic comments from guests about the service, food and staff in the Hotel, and your review came as quite a surprise. I am so Sorry you found our Egyptian cotton sheets noisy, and that this spoilt your nights sleep.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, and ensuring you are allocated one of our many large beautifully appointed rooms or suites, as well as arranging a beautiful table in our award winning restaurant.
Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Kind regards