“So far the BEST we have been!”
Review of The Oyster Box

The Oyster Box
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Leanyfalu, Hungary
“So far the BEST we have been!”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

It was our very first trip to South Africa, and luckily we booked this hotel instead of one in Durban where my business was. We stayed here for 6 nights, and my wife was really sad when we left the hotel. Is is simply fabulous! The rooms are unique with excellent ocean view. The food is superb, not just the well known curry buffet, but a simple fish-and-chips also. We really felt throughout our stay that the staff is here for us; they were very polite and always at help if needed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted that you found everything to your liking, in particular, the friendliness and assistance of the staff, the delicious food and the unique accommodation overlooking the ocean.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Wayne Coetzer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We attended a wedding here and the hotel was completely out of this world! Everything was immaculate and the food, phenomenal!!! I have never met such friendly staff, nothing was too much for them. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be back very soon. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your stay at The Oyster Box on the occasion of a wedding.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time here and that the friendly staff took great care of you throughout your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I can't quite place my finger on why, but I loved this hotel from the moment I walked in. The ambiance, service, location, room - all top notch. Coming from England and experiencing 29c in "winter" probably helped a lot, and having breakfast outside on the terrace every day, and running along the pathway above the beach as the sun rose. Room was large and spacious. (Only tiny, tiny thing was the shower flooding onto the floor every day, but just a nit pick, and it was magically cleaned up by the time I returned). It was a quick walk up the hill to a range of cafes and shops. All in all, excellent.
I always finish my reviews by asking would I stay here again, and would I recommend to friends and family and the answer to both is a hearty yes.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your stay at
The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, in particular the ambiance, service, location and room. The Ocean Terrace outside overlooking the ocean is indeed the perfect place to relax and unwind whilst enjoying a meal.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back soon.

Pietermaritzburg
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We were again fortunate to stay at the Oyster Box Hotel last week. The ambience, charm and hospitality of this establishment are unsurpassed. This was our first visit since my husband has needed to use a battery-operated wheelchair. We were amazed at how easily he gained access to all areas of the hotel. It was so easy! The management and staff went way beyond what was expected of them in ensuring that he was comfortable and well catered for. So whether we are ‘able-bodied’ or handicapped, the Oyster Box Hotel is the place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful kind words following your recent stay at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay, despite your husband's handicap of having to use a battery-operated wheelchair. My staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

I look forward to welcoming back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 September 2013

A grand hotel with such individual service you really do feel special. The staff are a standout. No place is perfect but this is close. Without hesitation this is a hotel to be recommended. The only problem is why would you leave?! Truly memorable and a bench mark.

• Stayed August 2013

The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves and that the staff took great care of you.

I look forward to welcoming you back for yet another memorable stay.

Johannesburg
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed here at the end of August 2013 for a friend's wedding. We originally booked for two night's. But after a provincial competitor double booked us and cancelled our reservation that left us high and dry.We phoned and asked the Oyster box for an extra night. They were fantastic, said there was no problem we could come a day early and quoted us the same rate as the other two nights booked and paid for months previously. From check in everything was smoothly. We arrived at about 8.45pm after a long drive and Brian checked us in and was smooth an efficient and gave us the run down of what was on offer and told us the restaurant was open and would accomodate us. Which was great after a 600km journey in the car. Our room 216 was very nice with all the usual's, one would expect from a establishment of this quality. The room is showing a few little signs or wear and tear, crack in the bathroom sink and the porcelain tiles are stained from water and wine marks I would guess. Im not a fan of shower's over the bath tub( My understanding is the grading council of South Africa accept's this for a five star rating, mmmmm) but I undertand space is at a premium and the rain shower was good accept for a shortage of hot water over busy periods.eg. just before dinner time.
The room itself has lot's of cupboard space and a safe big enough for a medium sized laptop or tablet. Dinner in the Ocean terrace restaurant was fantastic, they still do one of the best "curry" buffet's in Natal worth a visit if you are a curry fundi.
Breakfast is still one of the "great's..........Its more like an event. Were not really breakfast people but the setting,selection and quality of food became a three hour relaxing morning chatting with friend's truly wonderful. To work off the extra calories there is a lovely walkway in front of the hotel(approximately 4.5km jog ) and is spotlessly clean even at 6.30am and lot's of security so you feel really safe at any time of the day, not to mention the view's and sounds of the clear blue sea.
Our friends wedding was a glorious affair, great setting , wonderful service and a great function room. The food was spectacular too.
The one blemish over the weekend stay is that its a "pet friendly " hotel. Call me an 'old fart" but having breakfast in a 5 star hotel with a perfect companion,great friends and a perfect setting spoiled by a dog barking at the hotel staff everytime they approached the table, and the "ignorant" owner chastising the staff for not giving the "mutt" a wide enough birth "because its not used to "black people" really irritated me and my fellow diner's.......Im a dog owner myself but I would never consider taking my pet to a 5 star establishment so Im wondering why the management allows dog's in the restaurant. So getting back to the stain's on the floor of our room................one hope's it was a "wine stain" on the floor tiles and not dog....??????

Room Tip: 216 has a great seaview and the lighthouse.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, in particular the superb breakfasts on The Ocean Terrace overlooking the ocean and the delicious curry buffet. I am delighted too that you enjoyed the wedding celebration which offered amazing service and food.
I apologise however for a dog which compromised your dining experience with its barking.

My wish is that you will return often to celebrate special occasions or just to relax and unwind.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

This is my favorite spa in South Africa to date. It's difficult to go else where when you're used to this quality. I've tried most of the treatments but the massages are my favorite. Book a few treatments so you can spend a while in the tranquil atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with feedback following your visit to our Award Winning Spa.

I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your treatments and that you will return to further indulge in your favourite massage treatment.

The Spas Accolades for 2013 are Best Hotel Spa Les Nouvelles Esthetiques Spa Award, World Luxury Spa Awards, Best Luxury Hotel Spa in Africa and Best Luxury Destination Spa in South Africa.

My team look forward to welcoming you back for yet another memorable Spa experience soon.