“Six-star service”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Pretoria, South Africa
“Six-star service”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at Oyster Box with our one-year-old daughter. It was a magical few days. The hotel is something else - the setting is perfect, the gardens immaculate, and our room was lovely, with a view that took our breath away every morning. But what I will remember most is how well we were looked after, by absolutely every member of staff. An unforgettable experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words following you stay at The Oyster Box with your family.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time here and that the staff took great care of you throughout your stay. The staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return. The setting of the hotel on the beach overlooking the ocean is spectacular and I am delighted you enjoyed the experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back for yet another memorable stay soon.

Wayne Coetzer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
Nassau, New Providence Island
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This is really a gem of a hotel, I've lots of time at this great hotel over the last view years on corporate activities and I keep on going back for more. I especially like the Curry Buffet and sitting out on the deck watching the crashing waves in front of the lighthouse. Also the upstairs bar makes a mean cocktail

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review following your stay at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoy yourself whenever you visit the hotel and in particular, the delicious Curry Buffet whilst sitting on the terrace admiring the view. It is also a wonderful experience to sip on cocktails in the Lighthouse Bar whilst overlooking the lighthouse.

I look forward to welcoming you back for further wonderful Oyster Box experiences.

General Manger
south africa
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We are regular visitors to the Oyster Box Hotel and decided to have my wife's 50th birthday celebration weekend there. From the minute we started arranging the trip and event until the minute we left the hotel we were treated incredibly well. The professional organisation, the can-do attitude of the staff, the friendly smiles and setting were just perfect. Every little detail was well thought out and faultlessly executed. My wife and I would like to personally thank Wayne Coetzer, the General Manager of the Oyster Box. Despite being on sick leave he stoically arranged all the details for the trip. We have never met a hotel manager more capable than Wayne. He is truly an asset to the Oyster Box Hotel and without him, the hotel would simply not be the same. Special thanks must also go out to David who drove us to and from the airport, a terrific chap, so kind and gentle and professional, Kevin Joseph, the Executive Chef of the OBH. He worked incredibly hard to make the meals truly delicious and memorable in every possible way, Mishak, the most attentive and pleasant waiter who looked after all of our needs perfectly. He is the epitome of pure class when it comes to service. Seelan, Danny and all the restaurant staff who work so hard to make sure you are looked after. A big thank you also to Hendry and all the staff at the Grill Room restaurant. They made the dinner party just perfect! A special thanks also to Tyler Liebenberg and the front office staff for their hard work.

We love the OBH, its a home away from home and we always receive 10/10 service from the friendly and professional staff there. We always regret leaving the OBH and look forward to planning another trip there.

This is the best hotel in Africa. Full stop.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. Rooms 4 and 5 are excellent suites with their own plunge pools. Room 114 is an e...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your recent stay at
The Oyster Box to celebrate your wife's 50th birthday.

Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing, especially for such a wonderful celebration as yours. Thank you for pointing out the staff members that stood out from a service point of view, we will be sure to thank them for looking after you in order to create wonderful memories, particularly on your wife's special day.

I am delighted you all thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, in particular the friendliness of the staff, the exceptional service and attention to detail. I will be sure to mention your comments to the relevant staff who looked after you.

Thank you for choosing The Oyster Box for your celebration. I hope that at some point, I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back for yet another memorable stay.

surrey wanderer
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Took an elderly friend here for lunch recently in the terrace restaurabt as she had not visited since the refurbishment.. Perfect service, great food and everyone so friendly when we had a look round whilst she remembered the days when her daughters had their wedding receptions there a good few years ago.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your visit to The Oyster Box for lunch.

I am delighted to hear that both your friend and yourself thoroughly enjoyed your visit, especially the perfect service, delicious food and friendly staff.

We have a number of guests returning who reminisce and exchange wonderful stories of family and friends who have passed through The Oyster Box doors many years ago to celebrate special occasions.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My wife and I recently spent un unforgettable 12th wedding anniversary at the Oyster Box. Wow we were blown away by this unforgettable experience.We were made to feel like royalty , yet still felt comfortable and at home in our surroundings . The friendly , super efficient staff are clearly very well trained and valued by their employer. This is reflected in the manner in which they go about their daily business , be it welcoming guests , dealing with a tricky guest or mopping the floor. We were welcomed into our luxurious see facing room with succulent fresh strawberries and dips of chocolate , whipped cream and icing sugar with a bottle of champagne . Bed time was a romantic surprise of rose petals scattered tastefully throughout the room and candles in the beautiful bathroom. We were so sad to leave.
The Oyster Box experience is without doubt a Bucket List experience .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

The Oyster Box on the occasion of your 12th wedding anniversary.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you both thoroughly enjoyed yourselves and that everything exceeded your expectations, in particular the efficient and friendly staff and the luxurious accommodation offering a romantic turndown.

Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

I look forward to welcoming you back for yet another memorable stay soon.

Johannesburg
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

I have been lucky to have been a guest to some of the best hotels around the world; the Oyster box easily tops the list. The staff are excellent (smiles and eager to help without having to ask). I booked a Villa (suit); what a experience! Classically decorated and we'll noise insulated. Private - heated jacuzzi came handy. The food, at the Grill House, was excellent.

My overall experience at the hotel was exceptional, I can't wait to bring my entire family for the experience alone. Do yourself a favor, book your stay, you will not regret it!!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review following your stay at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time here and that the efficient and friendly staff took great care of you, all in all, exceeding your expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you back with your entire family to experience everything
The Oyster Box has to offer.

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I recently arranged a group stay for my company - 60 guests half of which were from other countries at the Oyster Box. Nothing could have prepared me for this unforgettable experience. In my 12 years of arranging various trips all around the country, I have never been to a place where I actually felt confident in every single staff members ability to do their job well. From the front desk staff, to the waiters - every single staff member provides service above excellence. My conference, dinners, drink and even room allocations all ran 100% smoothly. Every single one of my guests could not stop sommenting on how the Oyster box truly made them feel special during our weekend stay. As 2 of my guests put it - they felt like Royalty.
I am very meticulous, and often look for fault when I visit a venue. I honestly could not fault one single thing at the Oyster Box, in my room (which had the most magnificent view), the restaurant, the bar - nothing. Everything was absolutely on point.
A very special thanks to angela Venniker - your service was outstanding. And to Claude and the rest of the staff at the front desk - Your eagerness to help was a breathe of fresh air. I cannot wait to visit the Oyster Box again, and this time will do so with my family so we can really enjoy everything the Oyster Box has to offer.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with your pets - go for a ground floor room, as there are some with a private...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you all thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, in particular the efficient and friendly staff and smooth running of your group stay. Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that everyone leaves wanting to return.

Thank you for pointing out the staff members that stood out from a service point of view, you can be assured that they will be thanked for looking after you.

I look forward to welcoming you back with your family to enjoy a most memorable stay with us.