“Lost Wallet Returned”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Umhlanga Rocks, South Africa
“Lost Wallet Returned”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Firstly this is the finest Hotel in Africa. I live in the area and have many reasons to visit the hotel and have meals, drinks or stay the odd night. I recently misplaced my Wallet...could and should never have been returned...I received a call early the next morning from the Reception to say they had found my wallet and would I please come through and pick it up. I did ...still had all my cash and cards in. Thank you!!!!!!!! WOW!!

Room Tip: Just enquire...the staff are honest and try their hardest for you.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your visit to The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that your wallet was returned to you. Our staff take pride in what they do and are passionate about ensuring every guest's visit to The Oyster Box is amazing.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back soon whether it be for a casual visit for a meal and drinks or overnight stay in one of our luxurious rooms.

Wayne Coetzer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This was not the first time we had stayed there but possibly the last . I was really surprised to see how poor this customer experience turned out . What was due to be a luxurious stay turned out to be an annoying and regrettable visit. Clearly management have not assisted in training the staff and ensuring clients get what they are promised. From the painful check in to the irritating check out , this was an unpleasant overall experience. The turn down service was poor having not replenished all the towels etc.. The room had bugs and Mosquitos and the noise by the staff in the morning outside the room did not allow for a great sleep, notwithstanding the noisy corridors in the eve . Having to call reception to get some assistance was waste of time. What we requested initially was not what we received. I am sad that this hotel had turned out to be a disappointment based on great expectations .

Room Tip: I would consider staying elsewhere and if you do decide to stay over ask for a quiet room isf such e...
3 Thank Kieran P
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback with regards to your recent stay with us at The Oyster Box. We were most concerned to hear of your dissatisfaction with our Front Desk team, Housekeeping department and the unacceptable levels of noise you endured from staff members outside of your room.

We would like to take this opportunity to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you were subjected to as a result of these inexcusable levels of service. There is honestly no justification for any of the lack of attention and adherence to standards compounded by the fact that your call to Reception was not given the attention it so urgently deserved. We will ensure all the necessary corrective measures with all those involved regarding the incidents experienced will be addressed and followed through to avoid any reoccurrence of this.

Whilst we realise there is no way to make up for these transgressions, please consider providing us another opportunity to host you so that you may experience the high levels of service that The Oyster Box prides itself in and has become renowned for. Should you consider this, I would further appreciate it if you book with me directly so that we can make this up to you, and I would love to welcome you back personally in true “Oyster Box Style”!

dublin
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel for the second time in 2 years. I thought it was fantastic 3 years ago. This time I found the hotel poor value for money. We paid more for a much smaller room. It does not look as though much time effort or money has been spent on the hotel since it reopened. Flooring is in poor condition and looks quite grubby - all over the hotel. Our room was on ground level and we had to go up and down several steps to get to it. No lifts to ground floor ! Service us not great although staff are plentiful. I was woken up several times by staff shouting and banging trolleys in passage. Food very average in all restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor. I am so sorry you didn't enjoy your time in our Cabana Ground Floor rooms, these are in fact the larger rooms in the Hotel . We have such amazing feedback about these rooms, I am sorry you found the room small and didn't not enjoy the finishes in the room as discussed over the week end. The Hotel was sympathetically restored four years ago, and we pride ourselves in continually upgrading and maintaining our rooms to the highest standard. The floors are in fact the original floor tiles dating back to the 50's and although they have a patina to them, they are in not grubby or dirty in any way. I have personally been down to check the room you stayed in and can find no obvious flaws. With regards to the ground floor, there is a lift to this area, and there is also easy access from the pool area, as well as a wheel Chair Ramp. I am so sorry you didn't enjoy the Restaurants and the service, I would love to contact you and find out specifically what you didn't enjoy, so that I can put the corrective measures in place.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Oyster Box in the near future, and ensuring you experience the magic so many other Guests experience.

Kind regards

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Having worked in travel for 12 years you're always looking for that one product, that one place, that one service and that one experience that will leave your travelers feeling WOW'd through the memory making investment they make.

The Oyster Box does exactly that.

Superb service, superb scenery, superb immersion for each of your senses.

Pearls all round, heaven on earth!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following you stay at
The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted that you and your clients have thoroughly enjoyed your time here and found everything to your liking, especially the superb service and location overlooking the ocean.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another memorable experience at

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Reviewed 16 November 2013

If you are ever planning on treating yourself with utterly excellent accommodation, then look no further than staying at The Oyster Box.
From the moment you drive in, one is greeted by the most polite and professional porters who help you with anything you might require. Mudzi, one of the porters, was perfectly charming and washed my car inside and out in less than an hour because he thought it needed it (which was great). The front desk staff, in particular; Claude, are charming and very helpful and knowledgeable about any request you might have. I went for a 90 minute Swedish massage which was wonderful. The whole spa and its facilities aim to soothe and relax and the staff once again, are discreet and impeccably polite. I was in an ocean-facing room which was well-appointed and incredibly comfortable. The amenities, cleanliness, bedding and everything about the room are world-class.
I went for lunch at the ocean terrace restaurant which was fantastic. The curry buffet is a must-have.
I met with friends for drinks in the lighthouse bar which is lovely and has outstanding views of the sea. A large selection of fine Gins made me incredibly happy as well as having the correct garnishes for each type. (as a gin snob, I was thrilled to be offered cucumber with my Hendricks)
I had a lovely night's sleep followed by a breakfast with huge variety and excellent quality.
I cannot get over the excellent service of all the staff, they are all so polite, welcoming and make you feel like a celebrity wherever you are in the hotel.
I look forward to returning as soon as possible. Thank you!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your stay at
The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay, in particular the luxurious accommodation, friendly and efficient staff, treatments in the award-winning spa, delicious curry buffet and excellent service.

Thank you for pointing out the staff members that stood out from a service point of view, you can be assured that they will be thanked for looking after you. Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

I look forward to welcoming you back for yet another memorable Oyster Box experience.

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at Oyster Box with our one-year-old daughter. It was a magical few days. The hotel is something else - the setting is perfect, the gardens immaculate, and our room was lovely, with a view that took our breath away every morning. But what I will remember most is how well we were looked after, by absolutely every member of staff. An unforgettable experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words following you stay at The Oyster Box with your family.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time here and that the staff took great care of you throughout your stay. The staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return. The setting of the hotel on the beach overlooking the ocean is spectacular and I am delighted you enjoyed the experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back for yet another memorable stay soon.

Nassau, New Providence Island
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This is really a gem of a hotel, I've lots of time at this great hotel over the last view years on corporate activities and I keep on going back for more. I especially like the Curry Buffet and sitting out on the deck watching the crashing waves in front of the lighthouse. Also the upstairs bar makes a mean cocktail

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review following your stay at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoy yourself whenever you visit the hotel and in particular, the delicious Curry Buffet whilst sitting on the terrace admiring the view. It is also a wonderful experience to sip on cocktails in the Lighthouse Bar whilst overlooking the lighthouse.

I look forward to welcoming you back for further wonderful Oyster Box experiences.

General Manger