“Christmas Lunch 2013”
Review of The Oyster Box

The Oyster Box
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Walking into the lobby there was a fresh aroma to welcome us. To the freshness of Christmas. The staff assistance and politeness was exceptional, who seated us without delay. As we got to our table it was dressed handsomely, befitting a five star setting. Each person had there own Christmas cracker, a tin of goodies was a splendid memorabilia. Chef Kevin Joseph's prawn
and salmon starter was mind blowing. Then there was GM Mr Wayne Coetzer was dressed up as Santa Claus handing out candy to the children. The big surprise was Mo Magic who turned. A 10 Australian dollar into 10 pounds and changed a 1 rand into a Krugerand. He did a different trick at every table. The main course was a buffet with an excellent spread. My roast lamb and kebabs were cooked to perfection. We had eaten so heavily that space for dessert was unavailable. But the desserts looked delicious. It was an amazing experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your visit to
The Oyster Box to enjoy Christmas lunch.

I am delighted to hear that you all thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, in particular the exceptional service and friendliness of the staff, the wonderful buffet spread and the surprise magician.

I look forward to welcoming you back again to enjoy a dessert experience!

Wayne Coetzer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,970)

Reviewed 27 December 2013

A heartfelt thank you to The Oyster Box for the most fabulous Christmas lunch. By far my best dinning experience in Durban. After my turkey was in the oven for our family dinner, I thought to myself ....I wish I made lunch reservations somewhere. But Where ??????????? every restaurant would be fully booked. I had a light bulb idea....Kevin Joseph ...chef alla extraordinary has always accommodated my last minute requests. I called Kevin, with already thinking 'they are full, there's no way I'm going to get a table.' . The answer I received was @what time would you like to come?' . Wow, what an awesome christmas lunch it was. We were greeted and welcomed, I can't decide, like royalty or family or old friends, by the doorman,the hostess, the waiters, Mr Josehp himself , hotel manager Wayne Coetzer whom I didn't realise had donned the santa suit for a few hours and every staff member I had the pleasure to meet at Christmas lunch 2013 at The Oyster Box. 5 star hospitality in Durban is rare, and The Oyster Box has perfected 5 star experience in Durban. Thank you Wayne, Kevin and all the staff of The Oyster Box Hotel for sacrificing your Christmas with your families so that my family and I could have a fabulous Christmas lunch. I almost forgot I believe in magic thank you Mo Magic South Africa. Congratulation The Oyster Box ... your 5 star hospitality can compare to all the 7 star hotels across the globe.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your wonderful review following your recent visit to The Oyster Box to enjoy Christmas lunch.

I am delighted that you experienced a wonderful time here and that you found everything to your liking, including the superb friendliness and excellent service from all of the staff and of course the absolutely delicious menu on offer on such a special day.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon for other memorable moments at The Oyster Box.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our 13th Anniversary. We were treated like Royalty! From our sunny room with a view of the ocean, to our Turkish Spa experience, to our French Champagne, to our delicious curry, to our tea in bed the next morning, to our walk on the Boulevard and finally to our incredible buffet breakfast on the Terrace. Wow what a treat! We felt like family and we can't wait to return. Thank you Wayne and the Oyster Box for a memorable and fabulous stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Yellow Sea Facing Room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your review following your stay at The Oyster Box to celebrate the occasion of your 13th Anniversary.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay including your beautiful room overlooking the ocean, the award-winning spa, the delicious food and attentive staff.

My wish is that you will return to The Oyster Box to celebrate other special moments.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Absolutely delightful!!!!!!!,,,,,,,the food,,the service,, the restaurant, the food was a very special treat,,,,,

the views over looking the sea are delightful,,,,,,thoroughly recommend this little heaven,,,,,

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your stay at
The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you found the food, service, restaurants and breathtaking views over the ocean to your liking.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

The Oyster Box is by far my favourite hotel in Durban!
Every experience there outdoes the last and I am constantly in awe of its high standards and luxurious atmosphere.
Once you walk in you are immediately taken away to a different place. It is such a great retreat and I leave feeling uplifted and refreshed every time.
The restaurants make me feel like Alice in Wonderland and the coffee is top notch. Even better is the hospitality and joy of the staff…you are welcomed and greeted with a smile and friendly hello from every staff member. More so, the décor throughout the hotel is mindblowing. It is full of history and culture and each room has a unique look and feel, which is sure to fascinate.
If you are able to, make sure to try their infamous High Tea or a drink at the Lighthouse Bar upstairs, and the spa is in a class of its own.

I definitely recommend it to all looking for a break from reality, a special experience and an absolute treat.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your wonderful review following your stay at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you found everything to your liking and were completely blown away by the decor, restaurants and friendly staff.

In particular, I am pleased to know that you thoroughly enjoyed the delicious High Tea which caters for all tastes and for which we have become very well known, the lighthouse bar and also the award-winning spa.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

It's hard to fault such a resort. It oozes charm from a bygone era, and one would almost expect meeting Poirot and Hastings playing bridge in the library or simply enjoying the four o'clock tea downstairs. 2 pools, including an infinity one with views on the Indian Ocean and the Umhlanga lighthouse, 2 bars, one sort of hip upstairs and one oyster bar, and again 2 restaurants including an upmarket one, with food and wine to boot! Perfect service, lovely rooms... Recommended.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review following your stay at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and that you found everything to your liking, in particular the infinity pool and garden pool, spectacular views overlooking the ocean, the iconic lighthouse, bars and restaurants offering delicious food and an extensive wine list.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back in the not-too-distant future to experience another memorable stay.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

We celebrated my son's 17th birthday on the 9th December and we were treated like royalty by Sizwe and the whole staff at the Ocean terrace restaurant. The food was phenomenal and the attention to detail, including the Birthday cake made the evening very special for my son, our family and friends. Congratulations to your team at the Oysterbox and especially to Sizwe in the Ocean terrace! We will definately be dining at your hotel again in the future!
Regards
Tim Hedges

Dear Guest,

The Oyster Box on the special occasion of your son's 17th birthday.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you all thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, in particular the food, attention to detail, the birthday cake and the exceptional service.

Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return. Thank you for pointing out the staff member that stood out from a service point of view, I will be sure to thank him for looking after you in order to create wonderful memories on your son's special day.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.