“Friendly atmosphere, ambience and excellent service”
Review of The Oyster Box

The Oyster Box
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Pietermaritzburg
“Friendly atmosphere, ambience and excellent service”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We have again enjoyed another amazing stay at the Oyster Box Hotel, Umhlanga, KwaZulu-Natal. Caring, kindness and graciousness are characteristics that permeate throughout the management and staff. Their active endeavours set the scene towards making every guest, regardless of culture or age, feel warmly welcomed. I have noticed that this has a ripple effect and guests seem to ‘connect’ with each other, too. Thus the friendly atmosphere, ambience and excellent service combine to create consistently memorable experiences.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments following your recent stay with us at
The Oyster Box.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time here and that you found the staff efficient and friendly. We invest in training our staff to provide a top class guest care service in order to ensure our guests depart having experienced exceptional service.

I hope I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Wayne Coetzer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Superb hotel, great service and great food. well priced and right on the beach front. 2 minute walk to Umhlanga's bars and restaurants. The spa is well priced with some great treatments available. Definitely recommended

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your stay at
The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you found everything to your liking, in particular the restaurants with delicious food, the outstanding service levels from the efficient and friendly staff and the wonderful relaxing treatments in our award winning Spa.

I look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable stay soon.

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Our top management team was recenly hosted by the delightful and efficient Oyster Box team more particualrly in the person of Fayaaz. The experience exceeded expectations and as a leading South African corporate we are proud to be associated with this prestigious and genteel establishment where every occassion is made spectaculr and every guest is made to feel special. Dr Augusta Dorning - General Manager - Netcare (Pty) Ltd

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your kind note following your recent visit to The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you found everything to your liking. Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

Thank you for pointing out the staff member that stood out from a service point of view. I will be sure to thank him for you.

I thank you for your valued patronage and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My stay at The Oyster Box was supremely wonderful. The hotel decor hints and old colonial and French Riviera. I had a Luxury Sea view room which was delightful. The bed was very comfortable. Quiet aircon meant a good nights sleep to the sound of the Indian ocean lapping at the rocks below. The area is very safe and I had no hesitation walking along the beautiful stretch of sandy beach.

I experienced impeccable service at all times, great cuisine, staff are so friendly, not at all stuffy. The breakfast is amazing and comes with a glass of champagne should you so desire. Staff were welcoming when my sister and her new baby in a buggy came to lunch.

Loved the spa, very tranquil. I treated myself to a facial and hot stone massage; both great.

An exceptional hotel.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend the sea view rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted that you enjoyed yourselves, in particular the luxury sea view room, the location of the hotel right on the beach, exceptional service, delicious full buffet breakfast and friendly, efficient staff.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your treatments in our tranquil, award winning Spa.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Norwich, England
Reviewed 3 March 2014

It's almost impossible to fault this hotel. From the receptionist who showed us to our suites; to the suites themselves with their long balconies and wonderful views; to the attention to detail in the furnishings and accessories; to the pool attendants who scurried round to equip our six o'clock swims; and right through to the concierge who ensured that our onward transfers were on time: all showed enthusiasm, commitment, and thorough training.

I would single out the Grill for exceptional food and service, even in the context of the overall high standards. A good wine list coupled with a very helpful sommelier, and a well chosen and varied menu, made our dinners a delight.

Just one thing that the management might consider: our last night at the hotel happened to be February 14th, which is always a busy night for restaurants. We enquired about dinner reservations on our first day, and were told that nothing was available. In the event, we enjoyed an excellent meal on our balcony, and no harm was done; but it's practice at some hotels to retain some restaurant reservations for resident guests on busy nights, and wondered if this might be a good idea to practise at the Oyster Box.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with wonderful feedback following your recent stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you were blown away with the wonderful accommodation overlooking stunning ocean views, the attention to detail throughout the hotel and the friendly and efficient staff, especially the exceptional food and service in The Grill Room.

Thank you for pointing out your area of concern regarding the Valentine's evening in the restaurants. As is customary for this event, ample space was reserved specifically for the sole use of in house guests, however, this year we were inundated with dining requests from guests and unable to fulfill all wishes. We will endeavour to increase capacities in the future to avoid disappointment. I am delighted to hear that you were accommodated with a special dining experience on your balcony instead, which you thoroughly enjoyed.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Northumberland
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Our luxury room (room 303) had a fabulous view of the iconic lighthouse but I would not describe it as luxurious. It was well equipped but on the small side, with the bed, small armchair and desk squeezed in. Fortunately our suitcases fitted under the bed. The reception and concierge staff were welcoming and friendly. Breakfast was good but we found the restaurant disappointing in comparison to many others on our SA holiday. This hotel is expensive but is no match for the Cape Grace in Cape Town.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on TripAdvisor with regards to your stay at The Oyster Box.

I was both disappointed and surprised to hear you did not find the size of the room suitable, however would love to welcome you back so that you may experience one of our Cabanas or Suites. We have 10 room types throughout the hotel catering for every guest’s needs.
I would be interested to receive further feedback you are able to provide with regards to the disappointment expressed in our restaurant, as this is an area we are often the most commended for due to our extensive menu, high quality of food and creative dishes that are often updated. We also cater to our guests should they wish to order something that can be prepared which is perhaps not on the menus. We constantly ensure we are competitively priced in line with the products, accommodation and service we offer.

Thank you for your kind comments about my Front Office team – I will be sure to share it with them! I would further appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back so that you may experience the high levels of service and comfortable accommodation we have become so renowned for! With this in mind; and should you be able to provide me with more restaurant feedback, please do not hesitate to contact me on wayne@oysterbox.co.za

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Oyster Box.

Johannesbutg
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My daughter and I booked for a day spa and lunch at the Oyster Box in November 2013.
All very professional and pleasant-from the security guard at the entrance, to the receptionists, the therapist at the spa, the restaurant's staff.
We appreciate the high standards and quality offered.
The spa was absolutely perfect in all respects.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your visit to The Oyster Box.

I am delighted that you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel, in particular the award winning Spa, The Ocean Terrace Restaurant and the friendly and professional staff throughout.

I trust it will not be too long before you pay a return visit to enjoy further special moments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Umhlanga Rocks
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
#4 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Umhlanga
Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban ...
#11 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Teremok Marine
Teremok Marine
#1 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga
Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge
Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban ...
#13 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Hilton Durban
Hilton Durban
#3 of 43 in Durban

Been to The Oyster Box? Share your experiences!