“World Class establishment”
Review of The Oyster Box

The Oyster Box
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Wow amazing and that doesn't even begin to describe my experience at this breath taking Hotel. The level of service I received has always been friendly and professional from the housekeeping staff to the mangers; for me its the true the definition of service excellence. The food is always magnificently prepared, delicious and appetising. Its by far the best hotel in Durban and I'm looking forward to my next stay there.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind comments following your visit to The Oyster Box.

I am delighted you found the staff to be so friendly and the excellent level of service amazing throughout. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guests' expectations and it is always promising to hear that these efforts have been noticed. I shall ensure your feedback is shared with our chefs and the kitchen team too.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Wayne Coetzer

Write a ReviewReviews (2,003)

Reviewed 10 April 2014

The hotel is situated in a beautiful area of Umhlanga. The staff are warm and friendly, which is a big saving grace of the hotel. The Oyster Box sadly lacks the qualities usually found in five star hotels. It is tired and in desperate need of referb, especially the breakfast room. The key issue with the hotel is the food. I had to return my lunch (baby chicken) it arrived so quickly it could not possibly be fresh. It was clearly reheated and bone dry. I send it back and changed for a chicken sandwich that I thought would be easier to prepare. The hotel restaurant can not compeat with local restaurants in terms of quality and freshness however the prices are very high for what you get. Furthermore the lighthouse bar is plagued with pigeons. There is pigeon excrement all over the tables and floor. The birds are not afraid to come and take a bite of your food while you're eating. This is a big issue, the bar area was so overrun I had to sit inside on a beautiful day.

The spa is beautiful and well appointed. I would strongly recommend booking treatments prior to arrival as it gets extremely busy. The hotel grounds and gardens are also beautiful and very well kept.

The hotel is not terrible however it is disappointing and in desperate need of an update.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank CH902014
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write, I am delighted you found the staff so friendly and our Spa amazing. The Hotel has recently had a multi Million Rand refurbishment, we get numerous compliments about how amazing its looking so unfortunately I am not sure what you are referring too? And what parts you found Tired. I will certainly investigate further, however I am not aware of any areas that are looking tired.
With regards to the Pigeons we are in the process of trying to relocate them, unfortunately we have had to involve the SPCA, as there are Guests who actually enjoy the pigeons and feed them. All solutions unfortunately mean the pigeons need to be exterminated which has become quite controversial.
We are however attending to this problem, and will have a solution shortly.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review, your comments are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed at the Oyster Box over 4 nights. I have to say the first impressions of the Hotel were wonderful. The immediate impression of the exterior of the Hotel, the greetings from the staff, the quality and speed of check in and the quality and joy of the initial moments were literally like wow! ..... I have to say from that moment on cracks in the overall experience began to appear. For us the issues were all around the quality of the food. It started in the Oyster Bar, where we sat for over 10 minutes without ever having a member of staff approaching us and taking our order. This was despite a number of the staff openly chatting between themselves and even sharing something on their phones with each other. We eventually got served, and the Oysters were average. The room we reserved was clean and was very well appointed, we had a beautiful Ocean view room. For me the best part about the Oyster Box was the continental Breakfast, this was very well presented and the staff were very attentive, sometimes too attentive. It became a little over-bearing at times. We booked for the High-tea, which is not as good as you will find in the Hotel next door (The Beverly Hills Hotel). Certain parts of the high tea were very elegant, some were very rough and poorly executed. I would now recommend High Tea in the Beverly Hills as opposed to the Oyster Box. Because of our dissapointment around the High-Tea we cancelled our planned Saturday night Dinner Dance booking, I explained the reasons to the duty manager, he accepted my comments and kindly offered us complimentary Dinner in the restaurant on Sunday, we did accept, however again the food was dissapointing. So in conclusion this is a very good Hotel, the staff are clearly on notice to lavish attention on guests, however the quality of the overall food is lacking. Have the breakfast and enjoy the stay, forget the High-tea and dinner at the hotel. We found a gem around the corner called "Angelos" excellent food and service, didnt have one complaint about the food at "Angelos".

Room Tip: select a Ocean view room, 1st or 2nd floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your comments about your recent stay. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of the Hotel. I am sorry you found the staff over attentive, we do pride ourselves in offering great service. We are renowned for our amazing breakfast, the amazing choice and variety of Items, I am so glad you enjoyed breakfast with us.

It was fantastic meeting you, and discussing your career working for Gordon Ramsay, this was very exciting for the staff.

I hope you enjoy trying the recipes in our owners cook book which I gave you, I am so sorry you didn't get to experience these in The Grill Room, however glad you enjoyed dinner in the local Pizzeria.
Again Thank you for taking the time to write, and it was a great pleasure meeting you.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

If I had to win the lottery the first thing I would do would be to book myself into the Oyster Box Hotel in Umhlanga for a whole week. The hotel is beautiful, the view spectacular, and the service and food out of this world. It is our favourite hotel in the whole wide world, and whoever you are, you are treated like royalty. The staff go the extra mile and all seem to really enjoy serving the public. Any visit or stay there is a treat second to none.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your recent stay at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you found the hotel beautiful, the view over the ocean to be spectacular and the service and food out of this world. Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

My wife recently came through a bout of cancer. Her insurance company (Platinum Life - three cheers for Platinum!!!) gave her an option to stay at any hotel (yes any!) of her choice. Being great fans of OBH, she happily accepted OBH. We decided to make our stay a bit longer and booked another day at our own expense, thus combining the two. Upon arrival I tried to explain the situation to the front desk since we did not want to be moved between rooms. I was told no problem since by the next morning all would be sorted. Well, next morning it was not sorted!! OBH came with the excuse that since it was nearly Valentines day, we could not be accommodated and had to move rooms. When the move happened (to go to the room booked for my wife), we found it to be a garden room with no sea view. Upon enquiry, it was confirmed that my sea facing room cost me R3 100.00 and the room given to Platinum Life by OBH, the garden room, was R4 200.00. I queried this by speaking to the day manager and I was told cest la vie. After much complaining and wonderful assistance by the desk clerk, we managed to secure an inferior room but at least a sea facing room.

Moral of the story - do not book through third parties. Rather book directly via the internet. Also - classy hotel does not guarantee ethics. It smack of Fawlty Towers if you ask me.

Room Tip: Do go and enjoy - you won't be disappointed. Any sea facing room is superb. We have stayed in O...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

I'm delighted you ended this review by stating "Do go and Enjoy, You wont be disappointed"

I actually remember dealing with your request personally, and we certainly weren't making excuses about the Valentines week end, it is our busiest period and we simply aren't able to move guests to accommodate extended last minute stays. We did the very best we could by offering you a discounted rate for that period in a garden room, the only reason we were able to offer you a sea facing room in the end, is due to another guest being extremely obliging and willing to move to a large garden room.
This is a very Classy Hotel as you say, and we always do every thing we can to assist where ever possible, I am delighted you were happy in the end.

Thank you again for staying with us, I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We visited the Oyster Box on Friday the 04/04/2014 and what an amazing experience we had with great food and excellent service, We were at the Ocean terrace and received top of the class service and was also assisted by France & Danny who made the visit extra special for my family & myself. My son was extremely happy with all the attention he received as well as the gift received from the manager. This was definitely a 5 star experience that won't be forgotten. Keep up the Good work :) :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review following your visit with the family to The Oyster Box.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your delicious meal on The Ocean Terrace and received excellent service from the staff.

We will be sure to mention your comments to the relevant staff who looked after you.

We really appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Spent few days with family. Brilliant staff, great food and awesome accommodation. Was world class and will highly recommend.
Very few hotels in South Africa you can walk out your room onto the beach and have a swim in warm water then walk back up, all within a few minutes.
Warm water to swim, great hotel & cocktails on demand.
What can be better?

Room Tip: Sea facing a treat.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your awesome stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you found everything to your liking, in particular the efficient and friendly staff, the delicious food and luxurious accommodation overlooking the ocean. I am thrilled that you found the location of the hotel right on the beach to be so convenient.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not-too-distant future.