“Afternoon Tea Delight”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea Delight”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We had afternoon tea in this delightful hotel. From the moment we walked through the door the service was friendly and attentive, in fact everyone we met was superb.
Afternoon tea was a buffet served in a lovely high ceiling room with live pianist gently playing. Tea was served in pretty china crockery. The food was delicious with half the buffet savoury and half sweet. All the food was high class in a high class setting. We'll done Oyster Box for a memorable afternoon

• Stayed April 2014
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review following your recent visit to
The Oyster Box to enjoy High Tea in The Palm Court.

I would like to thank you for your comments regarding the staff. I am pleasd you found them friendly and attentive and that they exceeded your expectations from a service point of view. We pride ourselves in our staff and take great care to make our guests feel they would like to return.

Wayne Coetzer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Absolutely awesome, beautiful view and top class service.Breakfast at the poolside verandah is a must.The restaurant(the Grill room) we went to for supper was superb.The staff are very friendly and our room had the most amazing views.Oyster Box Hotel and 12 Apostles are my favourite local Hotels.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a sea view and higher up.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you found the hotel absolutely awesome with beautiful views over the ocean and with excellent service levels provided by the staff. I am pleased you enjoyed the buffet breakfast on The Ocean Terrace and that you managed to sample the delicious food in The Grill Room, our fine dining restaurant.

It is wonderful that you found the rooms comfortable and enjoyed the amazing ocean views. Thank you for your kind words that the staff are friendly. The staff take pride in offering the best service to our guests to ensure the guests leave wanting to return.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This is a truly impressive hotel. It is airy, grand and yet incredibly welcoming, with impeccable service. Although a large, busy hotel, the staff made the effort to get to know us and always made us feel very special.

If you have children, this is a wonderful place to stay as they really go all out to make children feel truly special. Our son, James, loved the fishing net he received to explore the rock pools on the beach below, and every night there was a little toy placed on his bed, to his enormous delight.

The terrace offers spectacular views past the lighthouse and out to the ocean and is a truly wonderful place to eat. Their breakfast buffet offers everything from oysters and champagne, to curry, freshly made waffles and pancakes, to homemade cakes, breads and pastries.
We also ate in the Grill Room, their fine dining restaurant. We recommend their seafood extravaganza, which was served at our table from a truly impressive, silver doomed trolley, followed by Crepe Suzette prepared at the table by Hendry.

For a decadent break in luxurious surroundings, the Oyster Box is simply perfect.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind review following your recent stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you all thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, in particular your son James.

I am especially delighted to read that you enjoyed the beautiful ocean view whilst relaxing on The Ocean Terrace for your daily buffet breakfast and The Grill Room for a fine dining experience of the seafood extravaganza.

Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

I do hope that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not-too-distant future.

Durban
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I recently attended the LIV Village fundraising breakfast in the Pearl Room. What a wonderful event. It was a cold buffet breakfast and it did not disappoint. From smoothies to smoked salmon, selection of cheeses, fruit platters, cold meats and pastries. The selection was impressive and delivered on taste.
The service, as always, was impeccable. The waiters were attentive without being over bearing, and the event ran smoothly. The Pearl Room as a venue is absolutely beautiful and the sea view added to the atmosphere.
I have been lucky enough in the past to have stayed as a guest, and also to have eaten on various occasions not only at functions, but also in the Grill Room for a special night out, the Curry Buffet for lunch on the Terrance is a huge favorite of mine, and of course high tea is always special for an afternoon with friends. I can honestly say that I have never been disappointed. Everyone is friendly and attentive and genuinely make you feel you are important to them. I always highly recommend The Oyster Box Hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent visit to The Oyster Box to attend a function in The Pearl Room.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of the event from the impressive selection of delicious food to the impeccable service delivered by the attentive staff.

I would also like to thank you for your comments on the stay you thoroughly enjoyed when your favourite meal was on The Ocean Terrace for our famous delicious Curry Buffet.

Your kind words that the staff are superb and the food delicious are most appreciated and I hope I will have the pleaseure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Oyster Box was chosen by my corporate hosts and did not disappoint.

Set above the beach, my double room was well equipped with an amazing view and comforting sound of the waves.

Hotel provides an awesome breakfast set on the poolside verandah to replenish you after a stroll along the promenade.

Friendly staff, good service and beautifully presented - a great place to stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted you found the hotel to be more than comfortable, with your room overlooking the amazing view of the ocean and with the sound of the waves to lull you in the evening.

Your kind words that the staff are friendly and provide excellent service are most appreciated as our staff ensure that our guests' leave wanting to return.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Wow amazing and that doesn't even begin to describe my experience at this breath taking Hotel. The level of service I received has always been friendly and professional from the housekeeping staff to the mangers; for me its the true the definition of service excellence. The food is always magnificently prepared, delicious and appetising. Its by far the best hotel in Durban and I'm looking forward to my next stay there.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind comments following your visit to The Oyster Box.

I am delighted you found the staff to be so friendly and the excellent level of service amazing throughout. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guests' expectations and it is always promising to hear that these efforts have been noticed. I shall ensure your feedback is shared with our chefs and the kitchen team too.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The hotel is situated in a beautiful area of Umhlanga. The staff are warm and friendly, which is a big saving grace of the hotel. The Oyster Box sadly lacks the qualities usually found in five star hotels. It is tired and in desperate need of referb, especially the breakfast room. The key issue with the hotel is the food. I had to return my lunch (baby chicken) it arrived so quickly it could not possibly be fresh. It was clearly reheated and bone dry. I send it back and changed for a chicken sandwich that I thought would be easier to prepare. The hotel restaurant can not compeat with local restaurants in terms of quality and freshness however the prices are very high for what you get. Furthermore the lighthouse bar is plagued with pigeons. There is pigeon excrement all over the tables and floor. The birds are not afraid to come and take a bite of your food while you're eating. This is a big issue, the bar area was so overrun I had to sit inside on a beautiful day.

The spa is beautiful and well appointed. I would strongly recommend booking treatments prior to arrival as it gets extremely busy. The hotel grounds and gardens are also beautiful and very well kept.

The hotel is not terrible however it is disappointing and in desperate need of an update.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank CH902014
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write, I am delighted you found the staff so friendly and our Spa amazing. The Hotel has recently had a multi Million Rand refurbishment, we get numerous compliments about how amazing its looking so unfortunately I am not sure what you are referring too? And what parts you found Tired. I will certainly investigate further, however I am not aware of any areas that are looking tired.
With regards to the Pigeons we are in the process of trying to relocate them, unfortunately we have had to involve the SPCA, as there are Guests who actually enjoy the pigeons and feed them. All solutions unfortunately mean the pigeons need to be exterminated which has become quite controversial.
We are however attending to this problem, and will have a solution shortly.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review, your comments are greatly appreciated.
Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Umhlanga Rocks
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
#4 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Umhlanga
Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban ...
#10 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Teremok Marine
Teremok Marine
#1 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga
Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umh...
#11 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge
Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban ...
#13 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Hilton Durban
Hilton Durban
#3 of 43 in Durban

Been to The Oyster Box? Share your experiences!