“Incredible”
Review of The Oyster Box

The Oyster Box
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband and two young daughters recently stayed at the Oyster Box Hotel. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. The level of professionalism of the staff, from the receptionist to the gentlemen who carried our luggage, the lady who turned down our suite, to the waiters in the restaurants, they all resonated the greatest level of service encountered. Our daughters loved the children's area, and I really appreciated the fact that we were requested whether or not they could allow them to have sugar whilst in their care. The restaurant staff were also extremely patient and accommodating when we fed our rather 'fussy eater' children early in the evening.
When it comes to the view, I believe it is one of the top locations in the world. I am not usually someone who can sit at the beach all day, but I found it very difficult to tear myself away from the pool area. Our daughters had the time of their life at the pool area and we could sit gazing at the beautiful ocean and Light House being able to relax and soak up the ambience.
Thank you Oyster Box for one of the best holidays of my life. I will see you again very soon.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments following your stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel, in particular the facilities for the children and the spectacular view of the ocean when you could relax and totally unwind when sitting by the pool.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the staff and their level of professionalism across the board. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guests' expectations of service and it is pleasing to note that these efforts are noticed.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for The Oyster Box

Reviewed 8 May 2014

What a wonderful stay. Our children got the best goodie bags on arrival, the staff genuinely took an interest in the children and they loved patting the very pampered hotel cat. We stayed in the family room and it was perfect, the kids loved having bunk beds and they kept asking to go back to kids club as it was so much fun! Thank you Wayne, Barbie and the team for a truely wonderful, relaxing stay.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review about your recent stay with us at
The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you all thoroughly enjoyed yourselves and that you found the family room perfect with bunk beds for the children.

I am especially thrilled to hear that the children took great delight in the holiday club and Skabenga, the resident hotel cat.

Your kind words regarding the staff are most appreciated and will be shared with the teams concerned.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon for another memorable stay.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We have stayed at the OBH many many times and every time we leave we want to write a positive review. Having been there a few weeks ago we can confirm that this hotel is still the best in South Africa. We attribute this to the superb management by Mr Coetzer. He has this ship running well and if any hotel manager wants to know how to do it properly all they need do is stay here for a few days. The only thing that we wish was different sometimes was the menu at the Ocean Terrace. It needs to change a little bit more often (but that is perhaps because we stay there so often). The staff are always very friendly and go all the way to making you feel special. That is how a hotel should be - warm, friendly, luxurious and welcoming. Keep it up OBH.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your recent stay with us at The Oyster Box.

As returning and much-valued guests, your feedback is most important to us and I am therefore thrilled that we have once again met your expectations and made your stay a memorable one.

You will be delighted to hear that the menus changed last week for both The Ocean Terrace and The Grill Room, so you will be able to try out Chef Kevin's new ideas on your next visit.

Your kind words that the staff are superb and the hotel luxurious are most appreciated and the team will be more than grateful to hear that their efforts are being noticed.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I would like to thank the staff and management for making this one of the most memorable days of my life. All of our friends really enjoyed the excellent service, good food and stunning views the Oyster Box has to offer. From the decadent breakfast to cocktails in the Light House Bar and lunch on the main terrace, everything was perfect. The seafront suite with plunge pool made me feel like a Hollywood star, so spacious and luxurious! Thank you Wayne for making this all possible - my husband and I can't wait to for our next birthday (a miracle at our age) to enjoy the Oyster Box ambience once again!

Room Tip: All sea facing rooms are wonderful
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful comments following your stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am thrilled to hear that you and your party of friends thoroughly enjoyed yourselves and found the service excellent, the food delicious and the views over the ocean spectacular.

I am especially delighted that you enjoyed the comfort of your spacious and luxurious suite with private plunge pool.

I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

My wife and have been repeat customers of the Oyster Box Hotel for many years now , staying as a couple for special occasions and with our children for a family treat . Due to my line of work i travel extensively and am fortunate to experience hotels all across Africa and the globe . I have yet to find another 5 star hotel that comes even close to rivaling the Oyster Box experience , from the time you check in to the time you depart you every wish is catered for , the staff are exceptional , the rooms stunning , the food impecable and of course the location is unrivaled !!

Room Tip: ask for sea facing
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing me with feedback following your stay with us at The Oyster Box.

As returning and much valued guests, your feedback is important to us and I am therefore absolutely delighted that we have once again exceeded your expectations and made your stay memorable.

I am thrilled to hear that you found the staff exceptional, the rooms stunning, the food delicious and the location absolutely perfect on the beach.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We recently spent three nights here and had a fantastic stay , the hotel is extremely well run and has got to be one of leading properties in Southern Africa . The location is perfect ,the hotel luxurious and the hospitality generous . The staff are extremely professional , friendly and genuinely happy to go the extra mile . Every aspect of the Food and Beverage Operation is first class and really top notch . As a family with young children this is the place as they are very well catered for and made to feel extremely welcome and at home .
A stay at the Oyster Box is a must do and is definately highly recommended .

Room Tip: Don't miss the fresh oysters and Sparkling wines at Breakfast
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you found the location of our luxurious hotel to be perfect, right on the beach with spectacular views over the ocean and that your found the staff to be efficient and friendly. Your comments regarding our first class food and beverage operation, together with the excellent young children's facilities are equally appreciated.

We constanlty endeavour to exceed our guests' expectations and it is always positive to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon to enjoy another memorable stay.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We were on our way to a safari from a cruise ship in Durban. We missed our plane to Pt Elizabeth because of customs slow clearing of the ship. The cruise lines put us up in the Oyster Box for the night so we could catch our plane the next day. This hotel was absolutely lovely with wonderful views of the ocean(our room looked directly out from the balcony to the ocean and lighthouse). The resident cat(extremely friendly) greeted us and set the tone for the hotel. We were offered complimentary mimosas on arrival and whisked to our room. We walked along the path by the beach and then had a drink in the bar - wonderful. We had an excellent dinner. The hotel even provided a box breakfast because we left before the dining room opened. We would stay there again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the ocean
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your brief stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am thrilled to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves and that you found everything to your liking, including the friendly reception on your arrival of Skabenga, our resident cat.

I am especially delighted to hear that you enjoyed an excellent dinner and that you were provided with a boxed breakfast as you were departing exceptionally early in the morning.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back one day when next travelling through Umhlanga Rocks.