“What a great place”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Guildford, United Kingdom
“What a great place”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My father and I were fortunate enough to spend a night at this hotel recently. The staff and service was amazing, they really couldn't do more to make our stay any more comfortable. The rooms offered everything we needed and were tastefully decorated to enhance our stay. Everyone was so friendly, the breakfast one of the finest I have experienced and all with views to compliment this Grand Hotel of Africa. The Spa was tempting but sadly I did not have enough time. I will therefore hope to return with my family someday and will definitely be booking one of their amazing garden villas or Cabanas. Well done Oyster Box & team.

Room Tip: I would definitely recommend paying a bit extra to have a Sea view room. The Lighthouse Bar is also...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind reviews following your stay with us at
The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you found the rooms comfortable and beautifully decorated and that you enjoyed the delicious buffet breakfast.

I would also like to thank you for your comments regarding the staff. I am pleased that you found their service to be amazing and that they were friendly and thoughtful during your visit. Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

I am sorry you did not find the opportunity to experience the award-winning Spa this time round, perhaps on your next visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Wayne Coetzer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I have just returned from a week in South Africa which included a 3 night stay at The Oyster Box. This was my second stay at one of my favourite hotels in South Africa and once again it did not disappoint. From the moment I arrived the staff were both welcoming and attentive. My luxury seafacing room was spacious, luxurious and with superb facilities. The view of the coastline with the famous lighthouse was stunning and it was a real highlight each morning to wake up and draw back the shutters to be greeted by such a beautiful sight. I enjoyed 2 breakfasts and 1 evening dinner whilst at the hotel. The food was of the highest standard and so was the service. The only shame was that I was staying at the hotel whilst on a work trip so could not spend as much time enjoying this wonderful hotel as I would have liked. Next time I will have to stay as a holiday guest!
Overall a fantastic hotel and one that I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a luxury hotel experience in a beautiful setting.

Room Tip: Go for a seafacing room as the views are stunning!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your recent stay with us at The Oyster Box.

It is wonderful to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay, in particular the spacious and luxurious accommodation with superb facilities, the stunning view of the coastline and ocean and the delicious meals from our restaurants.

I would also like to thank you for your comments regarding the staff. I am pleased you found them to be friendly and attentive and that the service provided was of the highest standard.

I am so sorry that you were not able to fully enjoy the hotel due to work commitments, but that you will do so when next you stay on vacation.

Jhb
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Every opportunity i have, i pop in and have myself a Guiness Draught.

Why? Because i can and when you have a view like the one accompanied i see when drinking my Guiness, only then will you understand.

This Bar is a little pricey but who cares when you have the Dolphin Coast splendor at your door step

Room Tip: Dont bother about any other drink, just enjoy the Guiness
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments following your visit to The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoy your Guinness Draughts whilst relaxing and watching the spectacular views of the ocean from The Lighthouse Bar where one may sit and unwind.

I look forward to welcoming you back for many more draughts to come.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We spent the Easter weekend at the Oyster Box. The hotel takes your breath away when you walk in. The standard sea view room is really beautiful. It has a balcony and beautiful finishes and the view is obviously unbeatable. Regrets : not making time for the High tea which looked absolutely wonderful but we could not tear ourselves away from the main beach with its red chairs and umbrellas and lovely warm water. What I love about the hotel is obviously the view, the cocktail bar at the pool, the deck chairs overlooking the sea, the sea of red towels, the library (I forgot my novel at home), the lighthouse bar, the breakfast spread and cooling down in the pool after a long day at the beach. What I was not mad about was the almost puzzled / aloof expressions from some of the staff if you ask for some information and what irritated me was the breakfast seating. You can either eat in the inside section or on the terrace but the terrace is always “booked” but most of the time it is 90% deserted. It was not possible to find out how to get a booking outside on the terrace (see aloof / puzzled expression comment). Overall, the weekend was wonderful and we felt pampered, spoiled and so privileged. We will be back if we want to splash out on a oh-my-lord-it-is-so-awesome weekend but I will try and find out about the breakfast bookings beforehand :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing me with feedback following your stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, in particular the comfortable and luxurious accommodation with spectacular ocean views, the beach right on the doorstep, the Lighthouse Bar where one can sit and unwind and the delicious buffet breakfast each morning.

I look forward to welcoming you back for another awesome stay.

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The Oyster Box really is a little piece of heaven ! We have just come back from the most incredible 1 night stay to celebrate a birthday and an anniversary. The spa treatments and facilities were unbelievable , the food especially The Grill Room fine dining was out of this world!!! The luxurious beautifully decorated rooms with the most incredible view to wake up to each morning just topped it all off, lastly we were blown away as to how happy the staff all come across , they all seem to love there job! I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your recent stay with us at The Oyster Box.

It is wonderful that you chose to celebrate both your birthday and anniversary with us and that you felt it was the most wonderful hotel. Your kind comments regarding your wonderful spa treatments, delicious food in The Grill Room and luxuriously appointed room are most appreciated.

I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff. I am pleased that you found them to be friendly and happy and that you received exceptional service. Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Spent a week at the end of April with my family at this hotel and the service and standards were superb.My only dissapointment was that I did not spend enough time at the hotel. The breakfast is amazing-the best view of the pool and the beautiful Indian Ocean. What a way to start the day with oysters and champers! I loved the promenade outside the hotel and the easy access to it.The concierge was excellent and all the restaurants recommended were superb.The service at the pool was also of a high standard-loved the complimentary slushies.I cannot recall even pressing a button to get the lift......its done for you! Get a sea facing room with a balcony-its worth it! The amenities are in abundance and there was nothing further that I needed or needed replenished. I miss nodding off to sleep whilst listening to the roar of the Indian Ocean. To top it all, full credit to the Oyster Box for being a dog friendly hotel. It is my dream to get my loved pets to the Oyster Box someday!

Room Tip: Get a sea facing room. Have breakfast outside on the patio. Spend as much time at the hotel as pos...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing me with your wonderful comments following your week-long stay with us at The Oyster Box.

It is wonderful to read that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, in particular the delicious buffet breakfast with vast selection, together with the poolside service and spectacular views over the ocean. I am thrilled that you found the restaurants to be excellent and that your accommodation most comfortable and luxurious.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back and perhaps next time you will introduce your pets to the hotel too where they will be able to enjoy their own menus we have on offer.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We had a little time to relax before our flight back to Cape Town so decided to go for Sundowner drinks at the Light House Bar. Stunning view and excellent selection of wines by the bottle or glass, as were the rest of choices. Staff impeccably dressed and service just perfect. Sadly did not have time for an overnight stay, but definitely on my to do list next time in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your brief visit to The Oyster Box whilst waiting to depart for the airport.

I am delighted you found The Lighthouse Bar relaxing with stunning views over the ocean, especially at 'Sundowner' time of day where you were able to enjoy your drinks.

I would also like to thank you for your comments regarding our staff. We take enormous pride in investing in training to maintain the levels of service provided by the staff, together with the standards of the specially designed uniforms.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

General manager