The Oyster Box
US$152
  • Pool
AHA Gateway Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$101
Agoda.com
Protea Hotel Durban Umhlanga(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$117
  • Pool
Royal Palm Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$85
US$111
US$93
  • Breakfast included
The Sibaya Lodge(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$265
US$251
Beverly Hills(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$436
Teremok Marine(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$317
City Lodge Hotel Umhlanga Ridge(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$137
US$119
Agoda.com
Garden Court Umhlanga(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$126
Orbitz.com
2,099 results
All reviewscurry buffetthe grilllighthouse barhigh teaoysterswayne coetzerocean terrace restaurantoyster barresident catgarden villaattention to detailour waitersea facing roomcolonial styleindian oceanbucket listtreated like royalty
Reviewed 25 May 2014

After over three weeks holiday in South Africa and and a succession of really excellent hotels The Oyster Box was to be the location of a friends wedding and our our last weekend in the country. We had a lovely room with the waves crashing onto the rocks beneath. Service beyond imagination,(there must be an amazing ratio of staff to guests) and excellent food - we ate on the terrace. it was the weekend and the hotel was busy but nothing seemed pressurised.. A world class place to stay.

Room Tip: Go for the sea view rooms - worth the extra
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fabulous review, about your amazing stay with us at The Oyster Box. I am delighted you enjoyed so many aspects of this beautiful Hotel.
The chef was so glad you enjoyed the wonderful meals on our Ocean terrace, we get so many amazing comments about our wonderful terrace.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 24 May 2014

As a family it was our first big holiday. The Oyster Box was one of three hotels we stayed at and it was amazing. The rooms had beautiful views of the sea and the light house and it was so peaceful. We also stayed a night in the 'town house', which had plenty of room and spread over three floors and had your own plunge pool in out in the out side area.There was such a variety of food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The buffet breakfast had so much to choose from and we sat out on the Ocean Tersest every morning. We also enjoyed a high tea on our first day which again had a great selection of things to choose from. All the staff were so welcoming and friendly, they defiantly made you feel at home. The Oyster Box is in such a beautiful area and really enjoyed our time in the Oyster Box Hotel.
Thank you SO much Wayne and the staff (including Vanesh who was a brilliant driver and very knowledgeable )

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view are great!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your stay at
The Oyster Box.

It is wonderful that you chose to spend your first big family holiday with us and that you felt it to be absolutely amazing. I am delighted that you found the rooms to be peaceful whilst enjoying the beautiful views over the ocean and the iconic Umhlanga lighthouse. I am equally delighted that you enjoyed the spacious superior garden villa with its own plunge pool on your second visit.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our efficient and friendly staff. I will ensure that your feedback is shared with the team.

I am absolutely thrilled to hear that you enjoyed all your meals, in particular the vast spread on the buffet breakfast in The Ocean Terrace Restaurant and the popular High Tea in the Palm Court.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back again one day for yet another memorable stay with us.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

This was my first time to Africa and the Oyster box made my stay very enjoyable. The boss Wayne was excellent and very friendly and so were all the rest of the staff. Our room was spotless and an amazing view of the sea and lighthouse. The food was outstanding especially the breakfasts. the pools and the rest of the facilities were up to a very high standard. Thank you to every one at the Oyster box for making my stay a once in a life time experience.

Room Tip: all the rooms were up to a very high standard and I'm sure that any one that you pick will be excellent
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your stay with us at
The Oyster Box.

I am pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you found the accommodation to be spotless, with amazing views of the sea and the iconic Umhlanga lighthouse.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the outstanding food, especially the buffet breakfasts with such a vast selection.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I really loved. Certainly one of the leading hotels in the world. I have travelled across the world and the service and quality you get or experience here is as good as anywhere in the best hotels I've been to across the world. Liked it. Loved it. Adored it. Truly truly amazing.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to provide me with some feedback following your stay with us at
The Oyster Box.

It is wonderful to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves and that you found everything to your liking, comparing us to be one of the leading hotels in the world.

I hope it will not be too long before I will be able to welcome you back for another enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is possibly the first time I have stayed at a hotel, where I expected the world, and got it - on a silver platter. Yes, the accommodation is very expensive, but so are many hotels in Durban/Umhlanga, which are not even in the same league as the Oyster Box hotel. I am a very fussy traveller and expected to like this hotel. Instead, I loved it. The room is not exceptionally large for the price, but what it lacks in size it more than makes up for with its amenities, palatial bathroom and breath-taking view.

The room had a king sized bed and all the luxuries one would expect from such a hotel (towelling gowns; basic toiletries etc.) and more (robes in addition to the towelling gowns; nespresso machine; a large selection of herbal teas; slippers and even a loofah).

The shower is heavenly (rainwater shower from the ceiling) and the bath-tub is like a pool. Even though it was 28 degrees out, I had to have a swim in the bath tub. Just being there relaxed me. I especially loved sitting on the (albeit tiny) balcony and sipping tea, while listening to the sounds of the waves. Even the hair-dryer provided was one of those million watt salon types.

The breakfast is the best I have had at any five star restaurant in the world, including the one and only Le Saint Geran and Palace of the Lost City. in addition to the basic choices, there was also an abundance of oysters and champagne and pastries that definitely fell straight down from heaven. Made to order waffles and pancakes, a variety of teas and coffees and even some breakfast "curries."

The pool area was beautiful. Dinner was great. And overall, the service was exemplary. The staff really go out of their way to make you feel welcome and pander to your every need.

Like most hotels on the beach in Durban, the Oyster Box is not really on the beach, but there is a path that leads to the promenade and public beach in Umhlanga. The swimming area is a short walk away.

The only negative, as mentioned, is the size of the room. We stayed in a luxury room, and I expect that the standard sea facing rooms are even smaller, so if you want space, then this hotel is not for you.

I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone that wants to indulge (at a price).

Room Tip: We stayed in a luxury room, which was a bit small, but well appointed. I would pay a bit extra for a sea facing luxury room, as opposed to a standard room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am thrilled to hear that you especially enjoyed all the different amenities and luxuries in the room and took time to sit on the balcony and relax whilst watching the sea and listening to the sounds of the waves.

I would like to thank you for your comments regarding our exceptional staff. I am delighted to hear that you found them to be friendly and thoughtful and that they provided you with a feeling of 'home away from home'.

I am sorry to hear that you found the room to be a little on the small side. May I highly recommend that you enquire about our full range of accommodation when next you make a booking, as we offer various different categories to suit all tastes and budgets. As an example, the superior garden villas average 105 square metres with the presidential suite at 246 square metres. Sea facing deluxe suites average at 78 square metres.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon to enjoy another memorable stay with us.