“Indian Ocean Paradise”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Coronado, California
“Indian Ocean Paradise”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Full disclosure: We had a one night stay because of an extremely restrictive travel schedule. One would think that given our late arrival and early departure we’d be guests easily left to our own, with no needs or special attention necessary because we’d be gone before anyone other than the maids knew it. Not the case. To a person, we were treated as if it was our live-in hotel. For those of you who don’t like long reviews, let me say that you will not be disappointed if you book a stay here. In a word, incredible. Others please read on.

My fist direct contact the hotel staff was a few weeks before our arrival when I reached out to one of the hotel managers requesting information on where I might rent a surfboard first thing in the morning. I wanted to jump in and surf before we had to leave at 9 AM the morning after our arrival. She immediately put me in touch with another manager at the hotel who is an avid surfer. After a couple email exchanges, he made it clear that there would be a board waiting for me when I arrived. Sure enough, we walked into the room and there was a surfboard ready for me to use the next morning. He even had a local SA surf magazine and extra bar of wax waiting for me…totally over the top. I mean, who does that?

That evening, a nice bottle of Champagne was unexpectedly delivered to our room. It was evident that they were made aware of our 10 year wedding anniversary by our travel company. This too was over the top, but thoroughly enjoyed.

I was met early the next morning in the lobby by the individual responsible for lining up my rental surfboard. It simply would not do if he was to point me down the boardwalk to a suggested surf spot, as he insisted on escorting me to the best walkable location for me to surf. He even hung around for a short bit and snapped off a few pictures of me surfing. He had emailed them to me before I was even back at the hotel.

After an incredible breakfast (one of the nicest laid out brunch style meals we've seen), it was time to leave. I didn't go into details on the views, the grounds or perfect location of the site as that information is readily available. Let me simply say that all of that is perfect, and the only negative of our stay was that we didn't have several more days to enjoy one of the nicest hotels my wife and I have stayed in

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lock-N-Load765
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review following your recent stay with us at The Oyster Box.

It is wonderful to hear that you chose to celebrate your 10th wedding anniversary here and that you felt it was one of the most amazing hotels you have ever stayed in.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff, especially that you felt so well looked after during your time with us. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest's expectations of service and it is always positive to hear that these efforts have been noticed. I will ensure that your kind feedback is shared with the team.

I am delighted that you found the buffet breakfasts to be plentiful and the location of the hotel just perfect with spectacular ocean views.

I look forward to welcoming you back when you might be able to stay for a little longer in order to enjoy all the facilities the hotel has to offer.

Wayne Coetzer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Just spent the week end at The Oyster Box after the comrades!
Wow what a place, service is impeccable, staff are so friendly and well trained.
The service around the Pool is Phenominal!
we have stayed at other Umhlanga Hotels, but the rooms and service at the oyster Box is the best by far!
See you next year for the comrades.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with wonderful feedback following your recent weekend stay at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves and that you found the accommodation luxurious and comfortable.

Your kind words that the staff are well trained and friendly are most appreciated. We invest heavily in staff training in order to provide top class service for the enjoyment of the guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Went for High Tea, during the week on a Monday, for hubby's birthday.
Had excellent service, all friendly happy faces from the hostess to waitress. Expected it to not be that great on a weekday, but it wasn't. Looks of stuff to choose and eat :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your wonderful comments following your visit to The Oyster Box to enjoy our popular High Tea in The Palm Court.

I am delighted to hear that the friendly and efficient staff took great care of you and that you enjoyed the wide selection of both sweet and savoury items on the buffet.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I would like to really complement the Oyster box hotel on providing my wife and i with a spectacular stay. We had spent one night at the villa suite and we were amazed at the beauty, design, cleaniness and luxury of the rooms. The service was excellent and the staff were the most friendliest i have come across in the few hotels i have stayed in around the world. The Oyster box is really one of the most unique and exquisite luxury hotels in Kwa Zulu-Natal. Going forward i will highly reccomend this hotel. Once again thank you for the great service, the great food and the warm stay. This hotel deserves a 7 star rating for its views and luxury!!!! The location was extremely central to lots of tasty food joints, and lots of entertainment, the beach was spectacular in the mornings and watching the sunrise over the sea is a must for creating a long lasting beautiful memory.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your stay with us at
The Oyster Box.

I am thrilled to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay, in particular the luxurious accommodation, the delicious food and the spectacular views over the ocean. The location of the hotel is perfectly positioned for ease of walking on to the beach in front of the hotel and up to the village.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the friendly staff and excellent service. Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

I look forward to welcoming you back for yet another memorable stay.

Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the Oyster box for our last 5 days of a 5 week trip in South Africa. It was a delight to feel safe for the first time during our trip. The staff were excellent. Lovely place to finally get a run in for those of us who jog. The view from our room over the ocean was so nice.
My only complaint was the service in the lighthouse lounge. We had drinks there on three different nights and it took for ever to get the first drink and even longer to get a second. They did not have nearly enough servers or bartenders working. I find this frustrating in a country where unemployment is so high. There did not seem to be any management checking on the lounge either.
The spa is lovely here and I had an incredible massage and I'm very picky about a spa being quiet and luxurious. This one is lovely.
Formal dining room is gorgeous and the food was excellent and chef was very good about cooking to accommodate food allergies.

Room Tip: Ocean view is a must.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your amazing comments on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted you enjoyed so many of our amazing facilities! And found our staff so fantastic, our staff receive International training and we are so proud of the service they provide.
I am sorry the Lighthouse bar was understaffed on the evening I met you, however we had no way of telling we were going to be so busy that evening, we did over 120 guests, and we were trying our very best to ensure service was fast. Our Bars are so popular, and have become the place to be seen in Umhlanga, especially with our three live bands, playing every night of the week in various locations.
Thank you again for your wonderful comments.
Kind regards

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was a lovely hotel, well appointed. We were on the ocean side and loved the view! There were small ants near the balcony which appeared to be in other rooms as well, since we had more than one room but it was not much of a problem and we never bothered to report it.
The terrace was a wonderful place to eat and they had lovely rooms, such as a library and an upstairs lounge/bar. Room service was great, bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was large and beautiful.
I would have no reservation in recommending it.

Room Tip: ocean facing rooms had wonderful views
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your delightful comments following your stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely thrilled to hear that you found everything to your liking, in particular the comfortable accommodation with spacious bathroom which boasts spectacular ocean views, the clock library where guests may relax in the quiet of the day and the Lighthouse Bar upstairs where one may enjoy a sun downer or listen to live music.

I am sorry to hear that you found some ants in your room. Whilst we have them under control, they are difficult to eradicate as you will have noticed that the hotel is set in lush tropical gardens with open corridors and surrounding gardens. We do endeavour however, to constantly monitor the situation.

I am pleased that you found The Ocean Terrace Restaurant overlooking the sea such a wonderful place to enjoy your meals.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed at the Oyster Box from the 13th to the 21st of May 2014, and I would have to say we had the most amazing stay. the views from the Hotel out to sea are fantastic, our room was really nice, great view, really clean and well stocked with a very comfortable bed. The eateries in the Hotel are really very good, the menu choices are varied and reasonably priced - all of that in it's self should be enough but it needs to be said that the standard of service at the Oyster Box is just different class! We've been fortunate enough to stay in some lovely hotels across the world and have recieved some great service but the friendliness of the team, the genuine interest in you and your enjoyment of your time in Durban makes this Hotel a class apart. We also attended our friends wedding during our stay and their reception was in the Hotel and it was really, really good too! All in all if i could give six out of five then I would - thanks very much for the most wonderful time!

Room Tip: We stayed in 305 with an Ocean view and a balcony - you really need an Ocean view!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your recent stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the hotel from your comfortable sea facing room with spectacular views of the ocean, through to the restaurants offering delicious food.

I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our friendly and efficient staff. We invest in training our staff to provide exceptional customer service to ensure our guests''experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your friends' wedding at the hotel and that you found the reception to be most enjoyable.

I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to your 'home from home' in the near future.