“Oyster Box Excells Again”
Review of The Oyster Box

The Oyster Box
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The Oyster Box Hotel excelled again. When we chose this as our venue for my husband’s 70th Birthday Breakfast, we knew our seventy guests would be treated like royalty – and they were! The level of service combined with the outstanding hot and cold buffets provided a memorable event for our family and guests.

Our children and grandchildren from Australia stayed at the hotel with us again. Indicative of the high esteem in which our family holds this hotel was the fact that our 9-year old grand-daughter, while staying there this trip, went to the Business Centre and spontaneously wrote a letter telling the Oyster Box management and staff how we love them and appreciate the wonderful experience they generate for their guests.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Guest

It was such fun hosting this wonderful birthday breakfast, we are so glad Mr Eckstein enjoyed his birthday, and hope he will celebrate many more with us!

Thank you for choosing us for this special event, we really do value your patronage.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Very impressed with the hotel, service and quality of the food, special mention to Sydney my waiter and the grill room manager for making my solo visit enjoyable. I stupidly left my telephone in the business lounge and was amazed that it was returned with a smile, I honestly thought I had seen the last of it. Lighthouse bar exceptional with a lively feel to it, live sport on a large screen TV. Pool area is well set out, breakfast on the terrace again exceptional. I would recommend the hotel for families, singles. Great hotel and great staff

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your stay with us at
The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you found everything to your liking, especially the breakfasts in The Ocean Terrace Restaurant.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff. I am thrilled to hear that they were friendly and thoughtful and that you found the service amazing. We invest heavily in staff training to provide exceptional service and when these efforts are acknowledged, it makes the hard work all worthwhile.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I recently stayed at The Oyster Box with my parents. As I have stayed at the hotel on a few occasions I knew it would be a great place to take them as a special treat and boy the hotel did not disappoint!
We arrived on a Sunday at lunch time and decided to have a bite to eat at the Ocean Terrace overlooking the pool and beach. There was a fantastic vibe with live music and very friendly staff. We stayed in one of the Superior Garden Villa Suites (including the Garden Villa Loft for myself) The suites are extremely well appointed and nice little touches like sanitizing the remote controls were noted. The suites are very well appointed and comfortable.

We enjoyed dinner in the Ocean Terrace that evening. I had told my parents all about the Curry buffet, which my dad could not wait to try. My mum opted for the prawns and her face when her plate arrived was a pure delight. I thought I'd try the pizza and I was not disappointed, beautiful thin crust with fresh ingredients.
Breakfast was, as always, one of the highlights of the stay. Such a wide selection, no wonder we were there for almost 2 hours.
The staff at the hotel are fabulous, friendly and extremely professional.
This hotel is perfect for everyone honeymooners, business travellers, special anniversaries etc. The only thing that is a slight problem is that the wifi does keep dropping but seems to be better in the public areas.
One of my favourite hotels, full of history, charm and extremely friendly staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your recent stay with us at The Oyster Box with your parents.

I am thrilled to hear that you all thoroughly enjoyed your stay in the luxurious and most comfortable superior garden villa with loft. I am equally delighted to hear that your meals in
The Ocean Terrace restaurant were met with sheer delight, as were your buffet breakfasts offering an extensive range of choice.

I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff. I am delighted to hear that you found them to be friendly and professional. Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's stay here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Lighthouse Bar is a wonderful venue for a drink - a classic bar with a memorable view. The bar is comfortable and designed to enable one to have a pleasant drink without being on top of others. The bar counter has similarly spacious seating. Very efficient service enhanced by a very attentive manager. Oh, and by the way, the lady serving us was right - the chilli flavoured corn nuts encouraged yet another beer. The only negative here is that the outside area of the bar is very narrow. Well worth a visit, if only to enjoy the African art work on the way to the Bar and then to look out on that amazing lighthouse view. This is a class act!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank capeintl
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your visit to
The Lighthouse Bar at The Oyster Box to enjoy a birthday beer.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful venue with superb ocean views and that you found the staff efficient and friendly.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Tiny rooms, with ants. Room service takes over one hour. Temperature in rooms difficult to adjust. Shower heads very old, towels rough. Wifi continuously keeps cutting out. Business centre computers far too slow. Restaurant manager tell us to appreciate he has gone out of his way for a special dietary requirement, making us feel bad. Extremely disappointing stay

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Masked-identity
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at The Oyster Box Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay, I am sorry we were unable to assist with the requested discount on check out.
The rooms you booked were our Luxury sea facing Rooms, well over 40sq m, however the hotel has much larger rooms, in fact our Presidential suite is 246 Sq metres, perhaps this would be a suitable room for your next stay as it would accommodate your entire family, and has the most glorious views and its own butlers kitchen.
The curries you ordered were not off our Buffet and were made especially for you, freshly made food always takes a while to prepare, although in this case the Items didn't take long at all.
Our compendiums request specifically for no food to be left in rooms as this attracts ants and monkeys, I am sorry you had these visitors.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Having stayed at several hotels over the years in Umhlanga at last a Gem!
Wow, Wow , Wow is all I can say.

This hotel is simply Phenomenal, We were met by the GM Wayne Coetzee on arrival and pampered throughout our entire stay, by Him and his wonderful internationally trained staff. It is evident that this is an international group and one can see The Hotel is a cut above all the groups and chains that exists in SA. The staff are well trained, they are beautifully presented. All the staff are extremely friendly and somehow manage to call you by name on every turn! We had a different treat in our room every day and our kids were spoilt rotten, they were even given tickets to a local theme park and transported and fetched complimentary! As soon as they walked in the door they were given milkshakes! Kevin Joseph the Head Chef, did a chefs table for us in the Kitchen, which was incredible! My wife hinted that she enjoyed curries, she was given a personal note in her room inviting her to a curry cooking Demo the next day!

The Hotel setting is the best on The North Coast, a Huge heated rim flow pool faces the beach and light House, there is a quieter garden pool and our room had its own plunge pool!
Every morning our loungers were reserved, with complimentary magazines and sunscreen ! The Pool service is mind blowing, Ipods with your favourite music, Ice creams, sunscreen, Foot massagers, spritzers and sun glass cleaning! Utter perfection! Our two boys were taken rock pooling by staff and are still talking about it!

Our room was huge with its own pool, inter leading into the kids room, huge baths and showers and his and hers basins, too beautiful!
In the evening we were offered canapés and champagne in our suite!

There simply were no Faults with this Hotel, its perfection! We will be back!

Room Tip: Sea facing is absolutely therapeutic!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest

I am delighted you had such a fabulous time here with us over the comrades, well done for successfully finishing this amazing race.

Thnak you so much for your incredible comments, it is always so good to read such positive comments about thei beautiful Hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back next year, before the race, and hope we can once again pamper you.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

In January we decided that we would like to spend our Anniversary at the Oyster Box. Having tried unsuccessfully for the past 2 years to visit the Oyster Box we decided to plan well in advance this time around! All arrangements were made and very professionally finalised, down to dinner reservations. I contacted Wayne Coetzer, the General Manager, who was extremely helpful and personally assisted with my numerous questions.

A week before travelling I again contacted Wayne who assured me all was in order and that we would be well looked after. I felt like a repeat guest already!

Our welcome was flawless, from the genuine smiles on the faces behind the desk to the glass of bubbly to the kind complementary gesture of high tea. We immediately felt at home and relaxed. We had also been upgraded to a suite which made our 3 day stay even more memorable. The welcome bottle of champagne and personalised welcome note added to the experience. The room was fantastic, well arranged with all the necessary amenities. We were quick to order from the pillow and soap menus which ensured a very personal touch.

We settled for some room service given that we were tired from our flight. The meal arrived promptly and was delicious. The only thing better than the meal was the smile on the face of the chap who delivered it to our room. Guest service is clearly a major focus at this hotel.

Saturday night we enjoyed the curry buffet in the Ocean Terrace and Sunday night we opted for some fine dining at the Grill Room. Both evenings were fantastic with good food, good atmosphere and good service. Breakfasts were no exception. Oysters and champagne on the first morning got things going. By morning 3 it was fruit and coffee ........ I couldn't get myself to indulge any further!

The hotel facilities were spotless, the pool crystal clear and the pool service quick and effortless.

Being right on the beach ensured we were able to take advantage of every opportunity to soak up the sunset set or admire the sunrise. The positioning is perfect with a long boardwalk easily accessible for those who would prefer not to walk on the beach.

All too soon it was time to leave. I would love to single out a few staff members who really went out of their way but it would seem so unfair to the rest of the team. Everyone's personal involvement in ensuring we had the most memorable anniversary celebration ever was much appreciated. To Wayne and your team, thank you so much, we had an absolutely fantastic time and hope to return for many years to come.

Room Tip: The sea view is incredible, pay a little extra for the privilege, its well worth it
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your stay with us.

I am thrilled that you chose to celebrate your anniversary at The Oyster Box and that you thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the hotel, in particular the luxurious and comfortable suite, delicious food from the Ocean Terrace and fine dining Grill Room, not forgetting the wonderful buffet breakfasts.

The location of the hotel on the beach with easy access to the promenade and superb views of the ocean is a delight to all guests.

Thank you for your comments regarding our friendly and efficient staff. We take great care in staff training to provide exceptional service and to make sure our guests leave with the feeling of wanting to return. When these efforts are acknowledged, it makes all the hard work worthwhile.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.