The Oyster Box
US$152
  • Pool
AHA Gateway Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$101
Agoda.com
Protea Hotel Durban Umhlanga(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$117
  • Pool
Royal Palm Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$85
US$111
US$93
  • Breakfast included
The Sibaya Lodge(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$265
US$251
Beverly Hills(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$436
Teremok Marine(Umhlanga Rocks)
US$317
City Lodge Hotel Umhlanga Ridge(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$137
US$119
Agoda.com
Garden Court Umhlanga(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$126
Orbitz.com
2,099 results
All reviewscurry buffetthe grilllighthouse barhigh teaoysterswayne coetzerocean terrace restaurantoyster barresident catgarden villaattention to detailour waitersea facing roomcolonial styleindian oceanbucket listtreated like royalty
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Having stayed at many hotels in SA and overseas, but only at B&B's in Durban, we decided it was time to go to the Oyster Box in Umhlanga especially now that the new airport is so far out of town. Well, what an absolutely wonderful and worthwhile three day experience. All the staff were incredibly charming and the cuisine and service at all the restaurants was fantastic! There really was never the slightest hesitation to help in every possible way. We will definitely be back as soon as possible for for an even longer stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea-facing room and enjoy the sound and view of the ocean!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Barry William N
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am thrilled to hear that you felt your stay absolutely wonderful and worthwhile throughout the hotel, especially the service and delicious food.

Your kind words that the staff were brilliant in every way and made your stay memorable are most appreciated. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest's expectations and it is pleasing to hear that these efforts have been noticed.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Our stay at the Oyster Box got off to a bad start with a number of unnecessary niggles that did make me doubt my choice of hotel. However, after speaking to Wayne and Tyler who head up the management team everything was back on track and we were set up for a wonderful few days. I am not sure if I can rate this as a quiet hotel - the noise of the sea is just tremendous when you are lying in bed staring out at the most beautiful view in the world. There are so many little touches that make a stay here special- these are things that you should stumble across yourself to really relish the experience. I am a real stickler for customer service and there were times that the service just didn't match very high expectations - nothing major, but small niggles mainly relating to what seemed like a lack of organisation and direction with staff in the restaurants , bars and at the front desk. This may have pushed my score to a 4 or lower, but it most definitely a 5 out of 5 due to the eagerness of Wayne and Tyler to not only sort things out but to make them even better. I have to give Brian on the front desk a very special mention as he was just superb and a staff member to be very proud of. This is just an amazing place to stay if you are lucky enough to get the opportunity. Thank you to everyone for ensuring that our last few days in this great country were so memorable.

Room Tip: Sea view every time
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your recent stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time here and that you found the little extra touches exceeded your expectations.

I must thank you for your comments regarding particular staff members. I am pleased to hear that they were friendly and efficient. Your kind words are most appreciated and I will be more than happy to share this with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon for another memorable stay.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Spent two night here with my wife in July. Booked a luxury sea facing room which is worth the extra money. Second floor room with a view over looking the lighthouse...perfect for sitting on the balcony and reading or having a meal. The A/C vent was a bit noisy at night but it's July so we did not really need the A/C one. We did not really explore the area as there is so much to do in the hotel..the spa is fabulous with some amazing therapists and treatments and value for money on a comparative basis. We tried the curry lunch (not as much choice if you are vegetarian), the high tea (worth it!) and the pizzas (clay oven fired). Staff a excellent and remember u by name. Overall a fabulous stay.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your two night stay with us at
The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you found your sea facing room comfortable and especially relaxing on the balcony. I am thrilled that you found your spa treatments amazing and that you spent time in all the different restaurants.

Thank you for your comments regarding the excellent staff. I will ensure your feedback is shared with the team.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Amazing food and amazing service. Love doing sunday family champagne breakfast with amazing sea views. Have made so many amazing memories there with family and good friend . The food is always great and service is always at the best standards ♡

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review following your recent visit to The Oyster Box.

It is wonderful to hear that you chose to spend time with the family enjoying our delicious buffet breakfast on The Ocean Terrace overlooking the ocean. As returning and much valued guests, your feedback is most important to us and I am therefore delighted that we have once again exceeded your expectations.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Only once had the privilege of staying here (way back before it's refurbishment) but we often visit for sundowners and snacks.

An absolute sublime location, beautiful hotel, friendly staff and just something special all-round.

Great for couples and groups of friends looking for nicer place to start an evening.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review following your visit to The Oyster Box.

As returning and much valued guests, your feedback is important to us and I am thrilled to hear that you still find the hotel to be special.

The location of the hotel overlooking the ocean is most popular, especially at the end of the day for drinks with friends.

Thank you for your comments regarding the friendly staff. Your kind words are most appreciated and will be shared with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.