The Oyster Box is a great place to stay. The location is superb, the architecture is fantastic and the ambiance and vibe are great. It is a hotel where you can go and just chill out. There are ample bars, restaurants, facilities and things to do. The pools are great and the place is just cool.
The rooms, although small, are very nice and we had a family suite (room 301) with a spectacular view of the ocean and lighthouse.
The food was excellent in the Grill Room restaurant and the breakfasts and lunches were great. No complaints about the food department at all (and we are very fussy eaters).
There were a few things that could have been better, they are:
1. The decor in some of the public areas is a bit over-the-top and kitsch (as mentioned by other reviewers). They could simplify the decor and have a much cleaner look.
2. The art on the walls is horrific. Apart from a few nice pieces, there is too much sub-standard artwork on the walls. They could do better in this department.
3. Our room was very dirty when we first arrived in it. The bedspread was filthy and we had to have it replaced immediately.
4. The lighting and switch configuration needs a lot of practice to master and every time my wife went to the bathroom and switched on the lights it turned on a light above the bed which drove me crazy. They could simplify things and be better off.
Apart from these niggles above, The Oyster Box is just great and we would definitely like to go back and stay there in future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- THE LEGEND LIVES ON… AT THE OYSTER BOX Standing proud on Umhlanga’s beachfront, directly on the beach and overlooking the Indian Ocean, the 86-room Oyster Box, is one of South Africa’s best-loved hotels. Renowned for generous hospitality, attentive service and exceptional cuisine The Oyster Box offers all the colonial charm and nostalgia of a bygone era, but with all the modern comfort and amenities. Dining venues include the casual ‘Ocean Terrace’, serving casual and al fresco fare and a Curry Buffet, to the legendary, fine-dining ‘Grill Room’. The ‘Palm Court’ serves a lavish, traditional ‘High Tea’ daily, with live piano accompaniment. The Oyster and Lighthouse Bars are the hottest spots in town for sun-downers.The Spa is equipped with six treatment rooms, a Hydrotherapy Bath, grooming lounge, plunge-pool, state-of-the-art gym, Infinity pool and Tranquillity Lounge and offers the latest in health and wellness teatments.Facilities include two swimming pools, a private library, luscious tropical gardens and an intimate, 24-seater movie theatre. The Oyster Box is KZN’s premiere wedding and honeymoon destination and the ‘venue of choice’ for the conference and business market.Time spent at The Oyster Box will leave you with magical memories to last a lifetime. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, Odigeo, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Ebookers so you can book your The Oyster Box reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oyster Box Umhlanga Rocks