“Best Beach Resort in South Africa!”
Review of The Oyster Box

The Oyster Box
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
pretoria
“Best Beach Resort in South Africa!”
Reviewed 7 March 2011

We have just spent our 4th visit at this gem - and the Oyster Box is continuously raising the bar with their consistent service delivery and exceeding expectations! We have stayed in one of their luxurious duplex villa's - complete with private plunge pool.

I love the Hotel and its distinct service-culture as it feels like staying in "a rich Uncle's private beach house"! The staff goes out of their way to make guests feel at home and comfortable - and it soon became clear to us that the staff were briefed on our arrival and our special requests which were anticipated and offered to us even before we requested it!

We always enjoy their many public areas ranging from the Library, the movie theater, the Lighthouse Bar to their fine dining Grill Room Restaurant, Bar and Terrace Restaurant. Four nights are too short to really get to know this hotel and to enjoy everything it has to offer!

Thank you to the Tollman family, Wayne Coetzee and his staff for creating such a special experience - we will continue to come back if you will have the "three of us"...!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 1 March 2011

The Oyster Box was all I'd been told to expect - pristine, attention to detail, excellent service. The refurbished room was lovely to stay in, albeit a bit small and overcrowded by telephones - I'm not convinced that 3 are required in 1 room. The Spa is worth special mention as we received service and quality of treatments from Faith and Nonfundo which were unmatched by any other spa I've been to in South Africa and abroad and should not be missed.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2011

I have never written a review on TripAdvisor but felt compelled to do so after staying at The Oyster Box Hotel earlier this month (Feb 2011).

I have been lucky enough to stay in some nice hotels in the past, including most recently the Four Seasons Resort at Punta Mita, Mexico. Without question, The Oyster Box is the nicest, coolest, best, most beautiful and most comfortable hotel I have ever stayed in. I cannot think of a single thing about the hotel that I didn't totally love--from the appointments in the rooms, to the uniforms on the bar tenders in the Lighthouse Bar, to the art on the walls, to the snacks at high tea.

The customer relations at The Oyster Box far exceeded any other hotel or resort's. The service was thoughtful, prompt, and best of all, personalized (the hand-written notes from the staff were a nice touch).

The setting and location of the hotel are perfect. The Indian Ocean and the beaches of Umhlanga were beautiful. And of course, the iconic lighthouse provides a backdrop that makes every view look like something from a postcard. As we sat by the pool one day enjoying the sun and ocean breeze, my girlfriend said, "I don't know how I will ever be able to stay in another hotel." The Oyster Box spoiled us forever. We stayed for 4 nights at The Oyster Box before heading north to Mkuze Falls for a photo safari. The hotel provided a perfect launching pad to hit the game park in an easy half-day's drive. If you're coming to South Africa to go on safari, I would highly recommend treating yourself to a few nights at the OBH before heading out to "the bush".

We paid 8000 ZAR for an ocean-view suite and found it to be a great value. Our room was spacious and extremely comfortable. The two verandas were great for afternoon cocktails or morning tea. It was nice to have a couch and a living room to relax in while my girlfriend took a nap in the bedroom.

Finally, the food....incredible. The delicious breakfast was included in the price of our room. High tea was like nothing I have ever seen. The selection of snacks to go with tea was truly impressive. We had dinner at the curry buffet one night and I thought it was the best I had ever tasted. We had heard from some folks in Cape Town that it was amazing and it exceeded our expectations. On our last night, we had dinner in the main restaurant. Our server was friendly, yet extremely professional and polite, and the food (I had springbok) and wine were excellent.

Even if I had no other business on South Africa's east coast, I would make a special trip to stay at this hotel. The Oyster Box is a destination in and of itself.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Maidstone
Reviewed 10 February 2011

Wanted to go to the Oysterbox when we got married 35years ago., but decided to emigrate to England. Had the opportunity in Jan 11 and it is what one expects from a 5 star hotel Luxury great service superb surroundings. The food was very good and the service very attentive. Staff all very friendly and accommodating.
Hotel was not busy as it was out of season so the lovely pool was like our private pool in a beautiful garden. ( Complimentary sun lotion cool towels and iced water.)
Luxury but not stuffy or ostentatious.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
East Molesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Went to dinner with my wife this evening. Lovely setting overlooking the ocean, delightful service, superb seafood anti pasta -,but rotten main courses. My hamburger dry & lukewarm. I asked for it to be heated up & then they confiscated what they reckoned I had already tasted. My wife's chicken was mediocre too - really not good enough for a hotel of this standing. Recommend you go to "olive & oil" nearby - half the cost @ twice as good!

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank John C
mansfield
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Treated my wife to 3 nights at the Oyster Box - over £300 per night b&b for a sea facing room but worth it. Excellent hotel. Room with kingsize bed, flat screen TV, large bathroom, beautiful furnishings and cleanliness cant be beaten. Staff extremely pleasant & helpful. Buffet breakfast fantastic - best we've ever had. Plenty of bars & restaurants within 5 mins walking + shopping mall & souviners. 2 nice swimming pools, one being an infinity pool overlooking the ocean. A shuttle bus is available at Durban airport for 50 rand pp to this hotel and 70 rand to Durban hotels in the Centre. We also caught this shuttle from the hotel to Durban's world cup stadium where you can have a tour round the stadium, take the skylift to a viewing platform on top of it or even bungie jump into the stadium. Bars/restaurants on site are plenty.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nivek3333
Umhlanga Rocks, South Africa
Reviewed 13 December 2010

I was fortunate enough to go to the Oyster Box Hotel for lunch last week and experience the curry buffet. I have to say that the quality and range was fantastic and so was the wine on offer. To get a waiters attention I merely had to look up. I was asked by managers if the lunch was going well on at least two occasions and our waitress (Jessica) was very friendly.

Sure going to a 5 Star hotel for lunch may cost you a bit more but the experience couldnt be faulted.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Teremok Marine
Teremok Marine
#1 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga
Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umh...
#11 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge
Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban ...
#13 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Hilton Durban
Hilton Durban
#3 of 43 in Durban

Been to The Oyster Box? Share your experiences!