“Stayed 3 times; wish every guest house was like this” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Teremok Marine

Teremok Marine
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Hartford, Connecticut
“Stayed 3 times; wish every guest house was like this”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

This hotel was my hub during a 6 week stay in South Africa. It suited my needs perfectly.

When I got off the plane exhausted from work, jet lag, etc., I slept for much of my first stay. This guest house does soundproofing and privacy better than any other guest house I stayed at in South Africa. It was the only guest house I stayed at where I thought it was possible to have sex without disturbing the other guests.

The second time I stayed I was coming back from a month in the bush. I arrived in a cyclone and they handed me a big umbrella that I used for the rest of my stay. An umbrella seems like a small thing but, after a month of being subject to the weather's every whim, being able to stay dry was really a delight. When I arrived, all of my clothes were so dirty I was considering throwing them out. But Teremok offers free laundry service and by the next afternoon, I had clean laundry.

I never had any problem getting spa appointments. Their skin care services are phenomenal.

They think of everything down to the last detail from the muffins available 24/7 in the eating area to the well stocked honesty bar to the beach towels WITH a beach bag. Not only are they thoughtful, but they make everything easy and that is my favorite part. The beach towels are in your room not available upon request, the wi-fi is free and available everywhere, the laundry is free, you don't have to check out the umbrella, and the furnishings are lovely but you never feel like you can't sit down on them.

Staying in 3 different rooms that had very different feels definitely made it fun, but it is the relaxing vibe they create that just can't be beat.

Room Tip: I stayed in Juliet, Vladykin, Douglas. Juliet is on the top floor and has better views but Douglas w...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Brusheep
Kim D, Owner at Teremok Marine, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
We are very excited and proud to have just been named 10th Top Luxury Hotel in South Africa in the TripAdvisor Travellers' Choice 2013 Awards! We also placed 18th in Top Small Hotel in South Africa, and 20th for Top Service in South Africa.

Thank you so much for you taking the time to review Teremok Marine, and for securing our positions in these prestigious awards - it really is much appreciated.

Kim and the Teremok Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
SOUTH AFRICA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

If you want to sample the best lodge in Umhlanga (for that matter South Africa) then you must treat yourself to a stay at the Teremok Lodge. It is personalised service at its best. Your hosts Kim, Ninette and Inessa always make you feel welcome and cater to your every need. The spa has two top beauty therapists who will make sure that you leave feeling pampered and relax. Don't take my word for it just go and sample service at its best.

Room Tip: each room is totally unique my favourite is Milkwood
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo

Almelo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Good plce to go to coming from the airport. Beautiful room and nice breakfast. They even order a pizza for you if you want!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

My husband and I arrived in Umhlanga after a trying drive from King Shaka Airport (torrential downpour + outdated GPS system + first experience driving on the "wrong" side of the road = a frazzled couple!), but boy did we receive "the definitive experience" upon our arrival at Teremok Marine! From the graciousness and helpfulness of the staff (Kim, Stanley, Ninette) to the ample epicurean delights (scrumptious breakfast spreads featuring power smoothies and flower pot muffins!), there's a stylish spark to every Teremok Marine touch. We stayed in the Douglas suite -- loved the open floor plan of the room with Marilyn Monroe watching over us. Ms. Monroe would definitely have approved of the deep soaking tub, fragrant bath products, and spa robes! We left Teremok Marine to explore Durban, but honestly you could while away your time at this chic hideaway and enjoy every single second -- have a massage at the spa, flip through design books or high-fashion periodicals, lounge poolside, sip on sherry or cognac -- the possibilities are endless! Of course, if you want to see the sites ask for Kim, a native of Durban, and she will give you a jam-packed itinerary. Absolutely, positively, wholeheartedly recommend Teremok Marine to those travelers looking for a laid-back, fresh and personalized experience.

Room Tip: Location, location, location! The Douglas room (on the first floor) is steps away from the pool and...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alexandra S

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

My wife and I treated ourselves to an anniversary break at Teremok in November 2011. It exceeded all our expectations! The room was stunning and the staff were superb - nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was always a highlight of the day especially with the sea view which greeted us each morning. Thank you too for the special surprise laid on for us on our second night!! If you are looking for something really special....look no further!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Milkwood Suite which had terrific views and great facilities.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dazzler1974
Paarl, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

All the positive comments made in prior postings are valid. Our abiding impression will be of the outstanding levels of service that Teremok delivers. The guest's every need has been anticipated and exceeded. Nothing is too much trouble and there are so many differentiating additional touches - offers of transportation to and from restaurants and other local facilities, tourism and dining advice that is based on first hand personal experience, every staff member aware of every guest's circumstances and needs, and absolutely dedicated to ensuring that every need is met, a wealth of thoughtful features and extras in the rooms - I could go on. The fascinating, highly individual decor, the wealth of reading materials at hand, the super cleanliness of the every inch of the establishment, the distinctive and innovative breakfasts, the extraordinary level of dedication and personalised training that is evident in the demeanour of owners, management and staff alike. I doubt that service can get any better than this. Note that Teremok's pricing is not positioned at the lower end, but it does represent extraordinary value. If it fits your budget (which it is well worth stretching a bit), there is no reason to stay anywhere else. This is a truly extraordinary place - right at the top of a personal list that reflects 40+ years of international travel covering 48 countries. We shall most certainly return.

Room Tip: We stayed in Milkwood, and would recommend it and Durban View over the others because they offer the...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

Back again....and what a pleasure it was
I stayed in the Milkwood suite again and my daughter had the Juliet suite right next door to us.
Milkwood is exactly the same as per my previous post here....just as marvelous!
The only downside to this suite is the fact that it does not get very dark at night due to the lights shining in through the windows by the basins and the skylight.
The owner, Kim, was kind enough to block out the window for me at the basin. That made a huge improvement. In my opinion they should look at putting up blinds on those windows.
The skylight I only really noticed when I was able to sleep longer in the mornings and not have to go to work when the sun rose.
The Juliet suite was outstanding and has a bathroom that is exquisite!
A very dark room for the long sleeper with a breathtaking view of the ocean when you open your curtains and linger on the bed in the mornings.
The bedroom itself is on the small side but this is compensated by the huge luxurious bathroom which also has a stunning view of the ocean which you can enjoy while languishing in the bath.
Both the bedroom and the bathroom have sliding doors which open up with a railing.
The Kingsize bed is firm with cotton sheeting on the duvet's.

During our stay we met with Kim, the owner, and both managers Ninette and Inessa who were helpful and extremely friendly at all times. Even the rest of the staff have a lovely and friendly attitude.

It was an absolute pleasure for both me and my family to spend a few days here to recharge the batteries.

The breakfasts were very good with attention to detail re the presentation of the food as well as the quality. I liked the variance of the meals and they tasted great.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business